[Discussion] 3 match test series against Ire & Afg in future ?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

[Discussion] 3 match test series against Ire & Afg in future ?

Post by Detective RDS »

With Ire & Afg getting test status, don't you think Zim can push for at least a 3 match test series against Ire & Afg in the foreseeable future ?

Zimbabwe plays very inadequate amount of tests & there are huge gap between them often.
July/August 2017 - Tour of Sri Lanka (1 Test, 5 ODIs)
October 2017 - Host West Indies (2 Tests)
February 2018 - Tour of Bangladesh (ODI Tri-series)
Sep 2017 - ?
Nov 2017- ?
Dec 2017- ?
Jan 2018- ?

The available window for Zim is above. I don't think Sep is the right time. But after WI tests, Nov, Dec & Jan looks like the best option.

In Nov 2017 - Invite Ireland for a 3 match test series in Zimbabwe. Ireland doesn't host matches at this time.

In Dec 2017/Jan 2018- Go to Greater Noida, India (where Afg plays home matches) for a 3 match test series against Afg. Followed by Ban tour in Feb 2018. So, this will mean subcontinent tour from Dec 2017/Jan 2018. Maybe if possible, sneak in a couple of ODIs against Ind.

Also playing against Ire & Afg before Ban tour will Zim to work out the Ire & Afg players for the World Cup Qualifiers.

Thoughts guys ?

TapsC

Re: [Discussion] 3 match test series against Ire & Afg in future ?

Post by TapsC »

I definitely support this idea and I'm sure we are probably the only country available to play these guys anyway.. somebody did mention that ZC was pushing for a member to tour in December so let's see what happens. I personally feel with these 2 members involved we should be pushing for somewhere between 8-10 tests a year now with 2 of them coming from the top 9 teams at least. Tests are very expensive to host so the only way I see this happening is either through ICC funding until the 2020 kickoff of their proposals or the new memebers will just have to sacrifice their own money to play. We definitely don't have it

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

I hope we hand over first test wins here but it would be a Good idea having games against these Nations in Zimbabwe conditions given of course that we are given funding for the games or the tourist are meeting their own expenses. Its one thing playing games but with the whole two tier thing will we be getting points and is there relegation promotion?
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Since Ireland & Afganistan have become full member and have got test status. Zimbabwe could think of starting " Boxing Day Test" like South Africa & Australia every year in December.

Series should be composed of 3 tests, 5 odis & 3 t20s

GregorPJ
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by GregorPJ »

Black Mamba wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:25 am
Since Ireland & Afganistan have become full member and have got test status. Zimbabwe could think of starting " Boxing Day Test" like South Africa & Australia every year in December.

Series should be composed of 3 tests, 5 odis & 3 t20s
Now that is an idea! I'd definitely head to Zim to watch a boxing day and New years day test at Harare vs Ireland!

jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jward »

Boxing Day Tests sound a nice idea, except at that time of year in Zimbabwe a lot of them will be badly rain-affected!