Taibu to launch Zim Cricket Academy based in Merseyside!

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
pariah
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Taibu to launch Zim Cricket Academy based in Merseyside!

Post by pariah »

NickG wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:12 pm
As far as I understand, the players received nothing apart from their flights, accommodation and a food allowance. Cannot understand the level of negativity about this. Maybe we should all reserve judgement until we can observe the Rising Stars' performances in the Logan Cup etc.
Jongwe didn't need to spend time on a needless tour of England in order to score hundreds and pick up fifers in the Logan Cup. The Logan Cup is what prepared him for record figures against an Afghanistan that is (selectively) so highly rated and feared in this forum today.

Those players should have been in Zimbabwe playing in the several A games that were organised by ZC over that period. As things stand, ZC picked seasoned players in the A matches, but selected none for th einternationals against the Dutch. So what was the purpose of sending these youngsters to play village and pub cricketers, as opposed to staying in Zimbabwe and playing against top A sides?

I would have been happy if ZC had spent that money on current u19s - with those players travelling between school terms/holidays to England - in preparation for the u19 CWC. This approach however, had zero logic.

Both the Rising Stars tour to England and the A Series had zero benefit. The Pakistani and Taibu are in charge now and this is the kind of nonsense that's taking place but attracts praise?

In a nutshell, look at it this way. It's very clear that certain players in the national team will never be dropped. Judging from many fans' XIs here, plenty are keen on dropping Tari Musakanda(the only successful graduate of the Rising Stars tour) for either Burl or Moor, no matter how abject they have been in Zimbabwe colours. So even in the fans' living and active logic, it doesn't matter how well a Rising Stars player has done for Rising Stars, Logan Cup and even Zimbabwe itself, he still won't be good enough. The same fate has befallen the excellent pair of Jongwe and Wellington - who are way superior to any of those Rising Starts - so why should we expect anything different. In fact don't be surprised tomorrow to read an u19 player who has achieved nothing at pro level, being suggested ahead of any of those Rising Stars graduates who do well.

When I say such things it's called trolling or stirring, but the reality is this was a stupid project and the comments in this forum will without fail prove it.

Why must you wait until later for your observation to kick in. What are they telling you now? That the Rising Stars needed to produce a better number 8 in order to avoid using Burl/Malcolm simply because Chisoro and Jongwe are not good enough to be number 8s? That it's good enough for Craig Ervine to be picked on the basis of a practice intersquad match and these youngsters likewise have to play some matches hidden away in order to earn their own special team in a FC rated competition. They don't have to enrol, and compete for places in the current teams or actually stay and perform in ZIM A matches that are recorded as List A or FC. They just had to play practice games against unknown quantities?

Why must a player who stayed and performed against visiting A teams lose out on a spot in a doemstic team XI when internationals like Hami and Sean are back and available, yet some unrefined youngster has the privilege of facing Panyangara or bowling to Mawoyo. Does any of this make any sense? :?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Hhm is the only one who thinks the ZRS tour was a waste, whilst Googly is skeptical about the funds it cost.

Everyone else is pretty happy about how the tour went I think ??
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:53 am
Hhm is the only one who thinks the ZRS tour was a waste, whilst Googly is skeptical about the funds it cost.

Everyone else is pretty happy about how the tour went I think ??
Yea I massively am! Sounds like the kids got some good exposure and ultimately succeeded. Dukinfield are a very good side for example

NickG

Post by NickG »

It seems some people, well one in particular, will never be happy whatever ZC do now or at any point in the future. Most of your points are merely an opinion, but to pick up on one:

The purpose of any academy is to prepare players for a life in professional or international cricket. It does not produce instant superstars nor will it bring instant results for Zimbabwe A or the full national side. That's why I said let's see what results they can produce as a domestic side. If they perform well and win matches, and some of them go on to have successful domestic or even international careers, then it is difficult to argue that it wasn't a success.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Doing anything for the upcoming talent pool is beter than doing nothing. Many of us questioned the ability of ZC / Taibu to carry this to completion, but they have. Kudos. What's more, they even have plans for the next edition. More power to them.

This in fact shows, in my view, the amount of good will Taibu has all across the cricketing fraternity as well. Would not have been possible if not for his involvement.

Let us get the likes of Roche, Mazhawidza, Shumba, TJS and the likes for the next edition...

pariah

Post by pariah »

Taibu salutes Rising Stars following successful UK tour
http://www.flashsports.co.uk/2017/09/22 ... l-uk-tour/
Out of 48 matches played across all formats, the tourists won a total of 29 with just eight defeats. A further three were drawn, while eight fell victim to the weather. Notable victories were notched against a strong Surrey second XI and the MCC. Standout performers were Tinashe Kamunhukamwe, who topped 1100 runs (7 x 50, 1 x 100), while Ryan Burl finished with an impressive average of 54.8 – a majestic century against the MCC his highlight of the tour. In the bowling department leg-spinner Brandon Mavuta topped the wickets table with 54, while slow left-armer Rugare Magarira picked up 42 at an average of just 17.1.
Guys have said lets wait and see. But if one looks at Magarira and Kamunhukamwe's performance in the Africa T20, it reinforces my view that spending those 5 months in South Africa would have improved these boys far more than this England trip. After two more similar trips in England, they will still be comparatively inferior to the average Varisty cricketer here, and well behind the seasoned Provincial players. Forget franchise/FC level in SA.

Plus CSA would have given them more matches against SA Emerging in SA. All of this would have cost far much less, and they would have had access to High Performance Centres here as well as the coaches(high tech computerised machines, analysis, and equipment etc). All for a fraction of the cost.

Instead of 48 matches of largely useless fixtures:
1. 16 one day matches vs the varsities http://varsitysportssa.com/varsity-cric ... ures-2017/
2. 19 matches vs the provincial sides (13 one day and 6 three day) http://www.espncricinfo.com/provincial- ... 24915.html
3. 5 matches vs SA EME (3 one day, 2 four day)

A lot of these teams were actually looking for practise matches at the same time these boys were out messing around English pubs.
Last edited by pariah on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I am sure pariah would have loved this tour if Makoni had organised it.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

pariah

Post by pariah »

eugene wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:07 pm
Technically, he did. ;)

NickG

Post by NickG »

pariah wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:09 pm
eugene wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:07 pm
Technically, he did. ;)
I spoke with Mr Makoni while he was in the UK, he was vey happy with what he saw and the outcome of the Rising Stars in general.