[Match Threads]: 2018 Tri-Series Matches 3 & 6 | Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: [Match Threads]: 2018 Tri-Series Matches 3 & 5 | Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jee whiz...did not expect to win by this margin. Grabbed another bonus point.

I'm rooting for ZIM to make the finals now since it looks almost certainly to be a BD ZIM final.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Surely Chittagong must be annoyed at being overlooked for matches. Chittagong is a major city after all.

On another note, how popular is football in Bangladesh? I know Dhaka has a couple of big clubs - Mohammedan and Abahani.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

I feel terribly sad about the state of Sri Lankan Cricket.
Once a world beating force, they're now struggling to compete against the ICC minnows, although Bangladesh can not and certainly should not be classed as minnows. In their home conditions, they're as powerful as any side in the world today, but Sri Lanka should really be playing better cricket.

They have the talent, but some of the shots...

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I am not sure they really do have the talent. Also, consider the guys they have lost to retirement over the last ten years, truly a golden generation - Sangakkara, Dilshan, Jayawardene, Muralitharan, Vaas, Arnold, Jayasuriya. Imagine what will happen to Zimbabwe when Taylor, Jarvis, H Masakadza, Ervine, Williams, Panyangara, etc are no more.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

saifulsohel05

Post by saifulsohel05 »

eugene wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm
Surely Chittagong must be annoyed at being overlooked for matches. Chittagong is a major city after all.

On another note, how popular is football in Bangladesh? I know Dhaka has a couple of big clubs - Mohammedan and Abahani.
Yes, BCB always prefer to host matches in Dhaka. That reduces costing, also due to security reason. Football is not much popular now-a-days. Fans are more concerned about English Premier League, La-Liga etc. rather than domestic football competition.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

eugene wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm
I've be surprised to see that Chittagong has only gotten 1/8 the number of ODIs that Dhaka has gotten over the past few years. Tournaments like this and the Asia Cup certianly don't help that ratio. Chittagong has gotten about half of the Tests, so thats one positive.

I am more excited to see my ancestral hometown of Sylhet finally pick up a international with the final T20 played vs Sri Lanka. Sylhet seems to have the most seamer friendly surface amongst the Bangladeshi venues. But its probably the most picturesque venue. At least the stadium itself is.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:17 pm
I am more excited to see my ancestral hometown of Sylhet finally pick up a international with the final T20 played vs Sri Lanka. Sylhet seems to have the most seamer friendly surface amongst the Bangladeshi venues. But its probably the most picturesque venue. At least the stadium itself is.
Zim played at Sylhet in the T20 WC--I think it might even have been the first international on the ground. It certainly looked nice. Is Sylhet a tea-growing district or is my memory deceiving me?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:22 pm
this is Rahul Dravid / Hamilton territory.
Hahah Crimson couldn't help yourself ! You are the undisputed No.1 Ticket holder in the Hamilton Masakadza Fan club :D
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

foreignfield wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Zim played at Sylhet in the T20 WC--I think it might even have been the first international on the ground. It certainly looked nice. Is Sylhet a tea-growing district or is my memory deceiving me?
No your memory is spot on, FF. Sylhet is the prime tea growing area in Bangladesh - a country that consumes tea the way the Irish consume alcohol. It is also the home of Mohammad Ataul Gani Osmani - the commander of the Bangladesh Liberation Forces during our war with Pakistan in 1971. Also the home of the 14th century Sufi saint, Shah Jalal, the most celebrated saint in Bangladesh and after whom Sylhet got its Mughal era name, Jalalabad. While Sylhetis constitute just 6% of Bangladesh's 170 million people, they make up 95% of the Bangladeshi population in the UK - which is an astonishing demographic marvel. Any Sylheti anywhere in the world, therefore, has at least some roots in London (and other places in UK).

The ground in Sylhet did host ZIM as its first official international during the WT20, but Bangladesh has yet to play any official matches there.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 pm
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:22 pm
this is Rahul Dravid / Hamilton territory.
Hahah Crimson couldn't help yourself ! You are the undisputed No.1 Ticket holder in the Hamilton Masakadza Fan club :D
:D
eugene wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:29 pm
I am not sure they really do have the talent. Also, consider the guys they have lost to retirement over the last ten years, truly a golden generation - Sangakkara, Dilshan, Jayawardene, Muralitharan, Vaas, Arnold, Jayasuriya. Imagine what will happen to Zimbabwe when Taylor, Jarvis, H Masakadza, Ervine, Williams, Panyangara, etc are no more.
That is a scary thing to imagine!!!