Breaking News : Zhuwao & Williams called for the ICC Qualifiers 2018

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Lee
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Breaking News : Zhuwao & Williams called for the ICC Qualifiers 2018

Post by Lee »

well its great zhuwao is in the squad but i noted something against kenya in Mutare his fielding was a bit off
too much lack of concentration
i hope will rectify this in the tourney

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Personally would have gone Waller dropped over Burl, but hopefully this isn't some sort of selection just to appease masses, and it's actually to strengthen the squad and use the players. You have to feel Zhuwao proved his stuff on our pitches the most recently so deserves his spot.

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

This is probably the best squad we could've gone with based on current form and our shallow player pool.

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

Well, Streak and Taibu have done their job (or has been done for them as the conspirators argue) and I'm grateful for that. Everyone doing their job is what we all hope for. But for me the problem is whether players will do their job. We all know that batting collapse is waiting to happen.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Will be very interesting to see how Zhuwao goes against the bowling attacks of the other nations, he’s bullied Kenya and done well in the Logan Cup but this is a massive step up.

How he handles the Afghanistan spinners will be really intriguing because we know he’s not going to block them out he’s going to try and go after them. Hopefully he hasn’t caught the ‘reverse sweep’ disease from the rest of the national team batsman and tries to take them down the ground.

Mujeeb especially I think can be milked for runs if you play him down the ground. Nabi likes to loop his deliveries nice and slow so Zhuwao will definitely be looking to slog him out if the ground if given a chance.

If Zhuwao is still in when Rashid comes on to bowl I’d suggest he’s already pass 50 and doing big damage but again it will be interesting to see how he goes about it.

Shame we won’t be able to see it
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Our best hope is that Zhuwao acts like an NRR enforcer against Oman and Solomon Islands and whichever also-rans are playing in this tournament. Against Afghanistan and Ireland he'll probably be LBW first ball for lack of footwork.

It's a big gamble I think. But Burl hasn't done anything, so I suppose it's not a shocking call.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Spare a thought for Ryan and Tari. That could not have been an easy conversation for whoever had to break that news.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Williams will have had very little practice going into this what with his finger injury. IS it his bowling hand that’s injured?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Googly wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:23 am
Spare a thought for Ryan and Tari. That could not have been an easy conversation for whoever had to break that news.
Yeah, but neither really grabbed their chance against Afghanistan.

How Waller held on is a miracle. Even Burl at least got to 30 once (albeit with no understanding of the match situation).

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Haha, Googly, please elaborate on your conspiracy opinion?

Cephas isn’t the brightest of chaps, but that could work to his advantage as he won’t feel half the nerves of the other guys and will play his game regardless I think. I actually called him out on his Magaya nonsense the one time, and he got extremely defensive, haha. He plays very straight and doesn’t sweep much. I don’t want to mention his weaknesses on here in case there are some sneaky Afghans lurking on the forum, so we will see what happens. If he gets going, he puts Mire to shame. Very talented individual, just needs to know when to respect a good ball too.