[MATCH THREAD] Logan Cup 2017/2018 Eagles vs Stars and Goats vs Rhino

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
strikerlube

Re: [MATCH THREAD] Logan Cup 2017/2018 Eagles vs Stars and Goats vs Rhino

Post by strikerlube »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:22 am
The national team players need to be paying in this round of matches, I have no sympathy if players are dropped from the tours by Australia and Pakistan because others perform over the next few weeks. In particular the likes of PJ, Waller and Mire are risking their national selection in the future. (Although i'm fairly sure that Mire is in Aus for good).
AUS PAK aren't in ZIM for over 2 months. If they miss one round its not huge, chill.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Zhuwao norches up his second 100 in FC cricket. With Masvaure making his 5th. Its always a great sight to have a few players getting big scores.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Quite a few centuries this round. Good to see.

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

The Rising Stars bowling attack appears to be toothless in the absence of Muzarabani and Ngarava. Even Chakabva batted at a 100+ strike rate! :o

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Turning out to be a disastrous match for Mountaineers. They could lose the championship because of this loss. Eagles have taken their opportunity with both hands in the other match. Hamilton should have played. Not having the regular run-makers Forster and Timmy Maruma costing them big time too.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

The mountaineers batting lineup is definitely too weak this game.

10 wickets for Chisoro.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Good to see Elton scoring runs again too. He is an asset when he is in form. 42 and 95 this game. I think he got himseof out by trying to get to a century before stumps.

So we have Chapungu Burl Nyathi Prince Chibhabha and Zhuwao scoring hundreds this round. Lots of 50s too. This might end up being on the stats quiz. I wonder what the record is for a logan cup round in terms of total 50s and 100s.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Presumably Cephas will get a shot in the T20’s, which is the format he’s good at. The fact that he’s blitzing 100’s in the longer formats is not cause for celebration at his abilities, but rather it’s cause for major concern that they can’t get him out. We’ve seen CZ average 16 against Associates yet he’s destroying our FC attacks. He’d last 3 overs max playing County cricket, if it was possible to play the longer formats with those strike rates then batsmen with a lot more ability than CZ would be doing it all the time.
I’m not knocking CZ, he’s doing what works for him, but it’s simply not that easy against better players. Personally I’d rather see him work on his game and would like to see him adjust his strike rates and work on his shot selections so he could make the leap.
I do like watching him play, he’s got a fantastic eye and hits it as hard as anyone in the game (that’s a big statement), but again watch what happens against the big T20 sides, he might surprise a couple, but they will quickly come up with strategies and he’s currently too one dimensional to adjust. Before I get hate mail, I like watching him and he’s a good striker of the ball but he’s got work to do.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Cephas and Mire only know one way to bat. A bit like Keiron Pollard. Cephas is 34 which IMO is too old for him to drastically alter his game. Granted I don't think being a basher was his natural game to begin with. But his FC average is way too low to indicate he has any real ability.

Guys like Waller, Vusi, Hamilton score runs for fun at Logan Cup level, averaging probably 70+ during some seasons. Yet none of them are average much more than 25 at Test level. So that means a 40+ first class average will only equate to a Test average of 15-20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:40 pm
Cephas and Mire only know one way to bat. A bit like Keiron Pollard. Cephas is 34 which IMO is too old for him to drastically alter his game. Granted I don't think being a basher was his natural game to begin with. But his FC average is way too low to indicate he has any real ability.

Guys like Waller, Vusi, Hamilton score runs for fun at Logan Cup level, averaging probably 70+ during some seasons. Yet none of them are average much more than 25 at Test level. So that means a 40+ first class average will only equate to a Test average of 15-20.
What you said is correct and the perfect reason I think that the Logan Cup should only be 3 teams.
Talents too diluted
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*