Racial selection policy in Zim cricket.... wheres it at?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Racial selection policy in Zim cricket.... wheres it at?

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Hello,

The dogg here.

If i remember correctly, there was a bit of hype about how things had turned away from the racially driven selection policies of the early to mid 2000s, when it was plain obvious that some of the brothas were getting selected ahead of the more deserving white player. The goal was integration, but it was obviously hurting team morale and dreadfully affecting performances of the team.

After keeping a close eye on the Windies tour....it just seemed moronic that until the last game Stu Matsikenyeri was getting ahead of Coventry, a man that only 2 or 3 games ago set a world record highest score.
If you disagree with me, i only need to point to his confident half century he scored in the final ODI.
I can only imagine how well we would have done if common sense played any part in the selection of Coventry, and he was included for ALL games.

Why is Matsikenyeri in the team at all?
He is in my opinion, a ****, and has always been. He has never proved himself at all and gets repeatedly picked over and over again.

The pessimist in me believes that selection could have been racially driven.

What does everyone here think?

In fact, in my opinion, only three brothas are deserving to be in the team right now.
Hamilton,
Taibu,
Elton.
(Maybe Vusi, big maybe, if an ex player returns he has to go though).

Before anyone says Tinashe, remember- he isnt coming back...the ICC wont let him as he blatantly chucks.
Last edited by maehara on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unacceptable language
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Racial selection policy in Zim cricket.... wheres it at?

Post by eugene »

The optimist in me says that Heath Streak, Alistair Campbell, Grant Flower, Dirk Viljoen, etc wouldn't have got involved with Zimbabwe cricket if the same racial quotas existed.

However you do make a good point about Matsikenyeri. I have no idea why he is in the team. He was at the center of a race row before when he was selected ahead of Vermeulen to reach a quota goal.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I remember around 7 years ago when the boys were in Australia for a tour, they looked alright in parts, but were horribly bogged down by this player.

It was plainly obvious he didnt deserve to be there, didnt make a run, neither did Vusi.

Its very hard to play against Australia when you only have 8 players.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

eugene wrote:The optimist in me says that Heath Streak, Alistair Campbell, Grant Flower, Dirk Viljoen, etc wouldn't have got involved with Zimbabwe cricket if the same racial quotas existed.
I'd agree that Streak & co won't be taking any instructions on quotas, etc. That's not to say that they don't have the issue, and a desire not to "rock the boat", at the back of their minds when making selection decisions.

That said, what I think is happening is this:
- the new technical team will have ideas in their mind for the transformation of the team.
- there are some changes (eg captaincy) that are best left to a new coach to implement - bear in mind that Walter Chawaguta was still in charge up until the 5th ODI, and as such his views still carried weight
- it may well be that there are plans to clear out the dead weight, but there's a case against doing that all at once due to the disruption it would cause to the team. Instead, you do it a few players at a time, and give the players under threat & the new boys a chance to either prove or hang themselves by their performances. Phase one was done before this series (Dabengwa for starters), we'll probably see one or two more players swapped out before the World T20.

Settling on a side to take us back to Test cricket is a process, not something that happens overnight. And I say this as someone who was as filled with RAAAAGE at the West Indies series as the rest of you.

Xlife

Post by Xlife »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:In fact, in my opinion, only three brothas are deserving to be in the team right now.
Hamilton,
Taibu,
Elton.

Before anyone says Tinashe, remember- he isnt coming back...the ICC wont let him as he blatantly chucks.
Considering that Tuskers have a 1st team with almost exclusively white players and are currently finishing bottom in all competitions, thats an interesting opinion been made there....

I think this is the exact kind of dodgy thinking that brings Zim cricket down.... The sooner we stop seeing our cricketers as either black or white, the sooner we can all move forward... :D

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Xlife wrote:I think this is the exact kind of dodgy thinking that brings Zim cricket down.... The sooner we stop seeing our cricketers as either black or white, the sooner we can all move forward... :D
+1 for common sense. :D

shumbat

Post by shumbat »

there could be an element of favouritism rather than racism at this stage, ZC has stuck to more or less the same failing team for maybe 5 years, not giving a chance to new players as the team has been underperfoming. The excuse being that the team need to develop, no more excuses now if we want to return to test cricket. Things will unravel now with a new coach in place, we need to see real changes whether its black or white players been given a chance. There batting lineup should be dismantled.

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:it just seemed moronic that until the last game Stu Matsikenyeri was getting ahead of Coventry, a man that only 2 or 3 games ago set a world record highest score.

I can only imagine how well we would have done if common sense played any part in the selection of Coventry, and he was included for ALL games.
This is one question i would like to ask everybody concerned with Zimbabwe cricket. From 1987-when Patterson & Arnott used to open for us- till now, this series was the first ever instance (not even rebel exodus) when i actually felt why i am continuously following Zimbabwe and getting embarassment in return. This series could have changed the future of Zim forever only if...iffs and buts...We lost a golden opportunity and not for a first time. Continuous nonsense decisions for the past four series are only pulling us back not forward. There is no question of black/white but we are not at all using sensible decisions which defy any logic. This is more difficult to grasp when people like Houghton/Streaky/Campbell are there to raise their voices. I just cant beleive that stupid Chawaguta has a more dominant say than these three gentlemans. Something is definitely wrong somewhere, not somewhwer it's in the cerebral cortex of ZC's think-tank. Its giving a poor hydrocephalus look at present exteriorly and bleeding heavily from the heart interiorly.
shumbat wrote: Things will unravel now with a new coach in place
All my high hopes have crashed down after clinching defeat from the jaws of victory in WI. I seriously dont have high hopes with the new coach but definitely excited that Gobby (GF) will be back to guide Coventry/Williams. With the current mentality Streaky will be best busy jotting down notes on how to play 6 spinners.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Xlife wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:In fact, in my opinion, only three brothas are deserving to be in the team right now.
Hamilton,
Taibu,
Elton.

Considering that Tuskers have a 1st team with almost exclusively white players and are currently finishing bottom in all competitions, thats an interesting opinion been made there....

I think this is the exact kind of dodgy thinking that brings Zim cricket down.... The sooner we stop seeing our cricketers as either black or white, the sooner we can all move forward... :D
I dont know if thats a hostile comment being made about what i said or not, but the way i saw it was the white players in the tuskers team are mainly 'first picks' for the national team and hence probably arent putting in as hard. Same thing happens in Australia when Ponting and that play for their states.

Maybe/maybe not.

Even so, it just goes to show how close the brothas are to NATURALLY taking over due to the external political forces driving the white away from the country. Theres no need to discriminate against these guys. Its bullying and racist.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.