Test XI - Windies series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
slcricfan1

Re: Text XI - Windies series

Post by slcricfan1 »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:11 am
These players imo are average

Blackwood
Chase
Thomas
Bonner
Warrican
Motie
Reifer
Bonner and Blackwood are dangerous

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:11 am
These players imo are average

Blackwood
Chase
Thomas
Bonner
Warrican
Motie
Reifer
Warrican has decent numbers unless the bulk of his wickets are against low ranked sides. Agreed about the rest, but is there anyone better apart from Heymter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Is Reifer in that side? The Surrey guy? If so he's bang average. Got a Surrey contract to tick the proverbial box.

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Googly wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:05 am
Is Reifer in that side? The Surrey guy? If so he's bang average. Got a Surrey contract to tick the proverbial box.
Raymon Reifer, not Nico Reifer. Pretty sure Nico has qualified for England.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Will blessing be back for windies series?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I was strongly against the Chamu recall too, but when you look at it through the prism of all focus on the next 12 months/ WC campaign, it makes a little more sense.Now is no longer the time for development, it is about short term, optimum performance.

Chamu had talent, he was just a failure long term that started batting too slowly.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:49 pm
Although we have to wait a couple of months longer to see Zimbabwe return to Test Cricket, the Windies are coming for two Tests in February which should be a quite even series going off their last visit to Zimbabwe in 2017.

Yes I might have gone off a little early, but I see this thread being a good place to also track the Logan Cup performances of the 'Test Aspirants' and look at which players are likely to be called up.

Zimbabwe's last Test was at home v Bangladesh 18- months ago, and looking at the XI there will be likely 6-7 changes at least

Zim's XI v Bangladesh 2021

Milton Shumba ( possible )
Takudzwanashe Kaitano ( probable )
Brendan Taylor ( No chance )
Dion Myers ( Highly unlikely )
Tymcen Maruma ( Unlikely )
Roy Kaia ( Unlikely )
Regis Chakabva ( Almost certain )
Donald Tiripano (Unlikely )
Blessing Muzarabani ( Certain )
Richard Ngarava ( Certain )
Victor Nyauchi ( possible )

Looking at that XI and the probability of their selection, it's not inconceivable to think that Zimbabwe could field a completely different top 6, although barring a big Logan Cup by other opening candidates and a total flop from Kaitano, I would be confident to say he will be in the side. I would expect (barring injury ) Ervine, Williams & Raza to return to make up the middle order, I also think someone like Innocent Kaia could be in-line for a debut possibly opening or at No.3.

I have Regis as 'almost certain' as his move to Australia does throw a spanner into the works, although he has declared he is still available for selection, his move does throw up some doubt. Mutumbami's keeping didn't impress me in the Regional games I watched, and Clive Madande seems to be emerging as the 'keeper in waiting'.

For the bowling, it's no debate that Blessing & Richard have cemented themselves as Zimbabwe's two premier bowlers, and I also feel Brad Evan's or Tanaka Chivanga have jumped ahead of both Nvauchi & certainly Tiripano ( I actually think Tiripano is better off trying to get into the side as a batsman who can bowl ).

I also think Zimbabwe will likely play at least one spinner v the Windies as I expect us to produce slow low decks like we did last time to negate Holder, Joseph, Roach & co. For this reason we probably have to look at Burl or Wellington as the most likely candidates, although Brandon Mavuta could force his way into the side if he dominates the Logan Cup like he did the Pro50.

My XI at this stage (subject to change)

Takudzwanashe Kaitano
Kevin Kasuza
Innocent Kaia
Craig Ervine
Sean Williams
Sikander Raza
Regis Chakabva
Ryan Burl
Brad Evans
Richard Ngarava
Blessing Muzarabani
Gary Ballance must play , no Regis for me

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:27 am
Do you really want to give Ballance his choice of spot when he just flies into the country because things went wrong elsewhere (whatever be the specific circumstances)? The assumption so far has been that he's the indisputable best batter in the country. Maybe he is, but there's a chance he's lower down the pecking order. Williams has been batting at a pretty high level since about 2017 or so...

The risk of over-prioritizing a foreign reject, over the guys who have been sweating it out in ZIM for years does have the possibility of being a bit harsh. It might be a good idea then, to have Ballance open. He's almost surely good enough to make the top 6, but the incumbents at 3-5 have done very well across formats the past several seasons. Key word, several. Harsh to make Ervine open just to accommodate Ballance.

Idk what the right answer here is.
Ballance has a great technique and should bat 3 or 4

Yorker

Post by Yorker »

Donald wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:16 pm
I wonder why he isn't playing the ODIs, he was back in the country before the last T20I in this current series was played.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Yorker wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:32 am
Donald wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:16 pm
I wonder why he isn't playing the ODIs, he was back in the country before the last T20I in this current series was played.
Quadriceps injury
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement