Zimbabwe Squad for Sri Lanka

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo

Re: Zimbabwe Squad for Sri Lanka

Post by secretzimbo »

mnelson68 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:18 pm
In any organisation and particularly in sport the only way you get good results is if you have your house in order and that starts at the top. Laying blame without taking responsibility will just make matters worse and results will continue to be sub standard. In my national sport of AFL I have seen clubs being close to extinction and almost lost forever turn it around and become a power again because of getting the right people involved at the top. It has a flow on effect , you don't need dictators just people doing their jobs properly and professionally. This may not be possible for zim cricket which is sad but until the top of the tree gets itself together then nothing will change. A great culture is a huge necessity for success, without it you are doomed.
I know fuck all about AFL but the first sentence in this post is spot on. For once we agree on something. 2024 is shaping up to be a surprising year already :lol:

Nobody is saying players and coaches aren't responsible for certain things, of course they are. Everyone in any role in the organisation at any level has responsibility. But everything goes back to the top - the board are accountable for everyone and everything.

I am bemused that people on here are trying to absolve the board of any blame and pass the buck to others. Okay, so Wes and Mavuta and possibly others are pot heads. Yes the players should be ashamed of themselves, yes it's their fault. But actually how the fuck is the system and environment so bad that that's been allowed to take place anyway? Also, it is an extremely well known, 100% fact that several members of the national squad have been drug users for many years - absolutely everybody knows it, including the top dogs. They NEVER did anything about it until now. They let the issue fester for literally years.

That's just 1 example out of 100's of issues.

The fact is there are only 3 batters in the entire country who'd you ever stake actual money on to score big runs. One of them is not a product of ZC and the other two are largely products of the pre-coup ZC twenty+ years ago. The rest of the side are products of a failed system. It's really not their fucking fault that they aren't Joe Root or Virat Kohli. Yes some could be marginally better if they applied themselves better. Others do apply themselves well but are still not world beaters. Why? because they are products of a school system that only has about 100 players active per year, only half of which are any good. The few rare age group tours and squads ZC used to put on are now almost entirely obsolete. We have NOTHING until u19. As Googly says, thats way too late, especially for batters. It's a bit easier for bowlers to prosper hence Richard & Blessing, but for batters you need serious coaching, serious structures, support, funding, a whole system for them from a young age.

Once they finish U19's, what happens next, for the few who re good enough and are interested in spending the next five years scrapping for a $600 a month part-time contract? :lol: Nothing. That's what happens. Absolutely nothing.
They can go around with their begging bowls, desperately asking some clubs to give them a run in the NPL, which although a good tournament only lasts for 2 months of the year. If they are lucky they will get a game, usually do quite well and before you know it they are straight into professional men's first class cricket? Oh by the way, the franchise sides almost never actually have training sessions together. They usually have 1 net the day before a Logan Cup match starts and that's it.
If they don't even get into a club or franchise side straight away, what then? Even worse.

Then even if they somehow magically become great promising young players, they probably won't be picked for at least the first 2-3 matches of the season whilst the franchises watch the usual 'local stalwarts' fail for the 50th time before finally giving them a go.

I'm off on tangents here, forgive me.

But there is NO STRUCTURE in place for ANYTHING.

The current setup is:
1. School cricket
2. U19 World Cup against 30 year old Asian pros
3. Franchise cricket
4. International cricket

There are at least 5-6 steps missing from that ffs that really should be there. You are asking kids who have very very little coaching or training or experience to make vast jumps up to each stage in very quick succession and suddenly expecting them to be successful?!?!

Still no national academy.

Still no high performance pathway.

Still no high performance strategy or plan.

Still hardly any coaching available unless the kid happens to be extremely wealthy and can afford private. A lot of private needed as well.

The absolute miniscule size of our cricketing system (way smaller than Nigeria's, smaller than Rwanda's, quite possibly smaller than Uganda's? I don't know) means 15 year old kids become the chosen ones and know the fucking weight of the world is on their shoulders for their entire careers. No wonder Wes turned to smoking joints tbh. The pressure must be immense. He knows as well as any of us that THERE IS NOBODY ELSE. He was labelled by our unscrupulous bastard admins and coaches as the next Brian Lara at the age of 15! Literally the weight of the entire existence of Zimbabwe as a cricketing country on his shoulders. To a lesser extent Shumba, Marumani etc as well. Maybe if we had 100 high quality kids instead of 3 then we'd be a bit better off? Maybe they could develop better and concentrate on their skills and grow over time before being expected to carry the team at the age of 20?

After all, ZC has only had about $200m of ICC funding over the past 20 years. :lol: :lol: :lol: $200m and what has it bought us since 2003?

No national academy. No high performance pathway.
Dozens of good players lost to other employment or systems.
A significant reduction in the number of schools playing cricket.
A significant reduction in the number of good quality coaches in the country.
A significant reduction in the number of recreational cricketers.
A significant reduction in the number of facilities.
A significant drop in on-field results.

Frankly it's a miracle we are still as competitive as we are when you consider we have 6 cricket schools and we pay most of our professional players $600 a month and most of them barely ever have a training session. it is actually miraculous. When you actually think about it, genuinely, we are probably overperforming and the players almost deserve credit.

I could go on and on for hours. We've not even got to how they are treated. Mr Makoni turning up in Bulawayo last week and screaming at certain players apparently. Who the fuck does he think he is?

Yet another example of mismanagement - Hosting Logan Cup games at a ground with a hugely inadequate pitch, drainage and facilities during the rainy season (despite your only world class ground being unused and empty that week). Why do that, you ask? Of course because it benefits our Managing Director and his stake in that ground.

There are hundreds of examples. I could literally write the longest post in history. I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface.

Are you guys really expecting us to be a decent competitive team? Really?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Someone will trot out the 'oh they cant cope under pressure', 'they always bottle it in important matches' and thats on the players.

Well it has been for a decade. How long have people, including several of our actual national coaches, been asking for sports psychologists? For whatever reason that has constantly been blocked by the board for years. We must be the only full member who doesn't have one.

There's one set of people who can go out and hire one, and thats the admin/board.

Yet another problem that has never been dealt with.

Most of our problems are not new, they are the same ones we've had for at least 10 years.

No solutions. No progress.

And yet some people defend the board. It's madness.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I was a (small) part of the battle last time to remove the board and unfortunately we lost. It was tortuous and bloody. There is almost zero chance of ever changing the regime unfortunately.

The brutality of the last attempt is what led to me trying very hard to be supportive and positive for the past 3 years, really trying hard to accept the board as unity was basically our last hope.

Now my patience is snapped. We are fucked, disaster awaits us, and the only people who could do anything about it do not care one jot.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Mukluhuni from his emotional speeches is certainly not a unifier but a divider.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Tavengwa Mukuhlani could presumably use the same performance based contracts for the players that Singo is using for the strippers at Queens Sports Club?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

The pro board fellas are arguing that we should never have lost to Uganda and that's the fault of the players.
Once again if you take Raza's performances out of the equation we are not looking much better than Uganda.
I firmly believe there was selection interference in that game.
We can't keep dissecting it but we should have played an extra batter and will probably never know why Wellie came in at 6.
He'll always be thereabouts as he's a decent player, but he'll always get the nod in a marginal call because a selector is trying to ingratiate himself with Hamilton who was briefly in trouble for holidaying in India but seems to be back in the good books.
That's another thing- Utseya, chigumbura and Masakadza should be applying themselves to their roles at critical times and not earning money and having a good time playing veteran cricket in India. Did they ask permission? I'd assume so and I'm sure they were given the green light. Firstly they shouldn't have asked to go and secondly the request should have raised eyebrows. Look gents, do you want a job or don't you, should have been the response.
We're yet to see anything positive from the Chigumbura or Mawoyo Academies or any of Makoni's initiatives. Do they still exist, did they ever? Is there a single sports journalist out there that would dare do a follow up. Accountability is key.
Actually that's not right, if you're trying to hold people accountable you've already got the wrong people, that's the truth.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Two things- did anyone understand that paragraph in that article about the u 25's dumbs, models etc?
Who was that aimed at?

Secondly- did anyone notice Raza is not in the 50 over squad? I wonder if he's also taken a step back?
If you start shouting at guys like Raza, Williams and Ervine who don't have long to go they'll walk. Raza has other cricket options, maybe he's exercising them?

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Raza is named in the odi squad

Googly

Post by Googly »

Also at the harare stakeholders meeting (who are they exactly?), Mr Mukhulani accused some of them of running ghost accounts to attack the board. By the board he means himself, because the other members, barring one are unknowns in our cricketing world.
You wouldn't run a ghost account if you didn't fear victimisation. Also why is that an issue? If there are criticisms then answer them or refute them if you can.
Not one "journalist" there will ask a hard question.

The problem in Zimbabwe is that we are so used to people doing nothing right that if someone comes along and does some things well he/she gets a hard pass on the rest of it.
In a functional environment there are people waiting to pounce if someone does ONE thing wrong.

Googly

Post by Googly »

zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:26 am
ODI squad: Craig Ervine (c), Faraz Akran, Ryan Burl, Joylord Gumbie, Luke Jongwe, Takudzwanashe Kaitano, Tinashe Kamunhukamwe, Clive Madande, Wellington Masakadza, Tapiwa Mufudza, Tony Munyonga, Blessing Muzarabani, Richard Ngarava, Sikandar Raza, Milton Shumba

T20I squad: Sikandar Raza (c), Brian Bennett, Ryan Burl, Craig Ervine, Joylord Gumbie, Luke Jongwe, Tinashe Kamunhukamwe, Clive Madande, Wellington Masakadza, Carl Mumba, Tony Munyonga, Blessing Muzarabani, Ainsley Ndlovu, Richard Ngarava, Milton Shumba
Aah ok. Missed his name, my bad.