Sean Williams retiring from T20i

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Sean Williams retiring from T20i

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I dont see the point of thenm retiring from the format outright, i think they would be great backup players.

No doubt they are hanging in till the 27 WC. Then id say Williams retires instantly due to his body and Craig 1 or 2 test series later.

I see no issue with them hanging in. Even if they decline, they would be good backup.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I was expecting this. It was inevitable to be honest after the emergence of the younger players and obviously the focus will now be on the younger boys.

I would like to see them play the longer formats though. Williams in particular will be quite handy. The big question is, do they have it in them to hang around until 2027? That's very unlikely.

I hope they play the tests though for the next couple of years.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

To be honest I just want them to hang on until the England test. There are quite a few test matches lined up over the next 12 months. The SA and NZ are scheduled to play tests against us next year. I would be very surprised if they cancel all of them.

To me it just officially confirms Sean’s semi retirement. He will get to spend a lot of time with his family now. The List A competition is like 2 weeks long, maybe play the home Logan Cup games for the Tuskers. It’s been like that for a while anyway. What I don’t know is what will happen to his salary.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

In theory we have;

2024:
1 Test in Ireland
2 Tests home to Afghanistan

2025:
2 Tests home to Ireland
1 Test in England
2 Tests home to SA
2 Tests home to NZ
2 Tests home to Afghanistan
2 Tests in Bangladesh

Potentially 14 Tests in 18 months!
Highly unlikely of course, I estimate a fair chunk of those won't happen.

But still a fair amount and we absolutely need Craig and Sean in that format. It's unclear if Raza will play Tests going forward, partly because he hasn't played any sort of red ball game for over two years and partly because I noted in that recent interview he stated 'I will never, ever be unavailable for a white ball game for Zimbabwe'.

Sean has a massive role to play still.

As for ODIs, from what I can see on the FTP every single one of our proposed ODI fixtures up until the end of 2025 is at home. That suits Sean who is known to not like travelling and being away from family.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don't even know why ZC make a schedule of upcoming games. Probably less than half actually happen.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

"This is the vision," Raza told ESPNcricinfo. "Because we are not going to the World Cup, we want to rebuild the team. We want to secure our future in all three formats. The senior guys will be there for a bit longer in ODIs and Tests, but in T20s we are trying to build a new team. The long-term vision is for these guys to gain the confidence from T20s to filter into ODIs and Tests./quote]

Googly

Post by Googly »

I would think Ervine and Williams would like to hang on for the Lord's Test. That's a good way to sign off your career on.
I have mixed feelings on that one though.
On the one hand they've earned it, on the other we play so few high profile games that if we've got another couple of players doing really well and we're trying to build a team, it's a tough decision.

Might also have a guy willing to throw a car or some cash at a selector for what's likely to be a once in a lifetime opportunity who's going to further muddy the already muddy waters.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:23 am
I would think Ervine and Williams would like to hang on for the Lord's Test. That's a good way to sign off your career on.
I have mixed feelings on that one though.
On the one hand they've earned it, on the other we play so few high profile games that if we've got another couple of players doing really well and we're trying to build a team, it's a tough decision.

Might also have a guy willing to throw a car or some cash at a selector for what's likely to be a once in a lifetime opportunity who's going to further muddy the already muddy waters.
I dont think just a random test against an England B squad is such a special milestone. I doubt it'll be at Lords too.

What they are really hanging out for you'd think is the '27 WC, and the paycheques till that point.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Apparently the England test is going to be at Taunton!

The problem being that Lords is due to host the next world test final around the same time and therefore not available

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ok.
If they're hanging on for a WC in the same way they've been going, which is basically not getting too involved in domestic cricket it will not be correct. I know they have to manage injuries and slightly older bodies and all, but for our development we can't afford them to do that. Hopefully a couple of younger players will put real pressure on them to give it 100%.