5th T20I | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh | May 12, 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: 5th T20I | Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh | May 12, 2024

Post by TapsC2 »

What I did notice about Marumani was that when he did get that score of about 30 he was nervous at the beginning but once he got his first comfortable boundary he seemed a lot more confident. Suggests to me it’s a mental thing but at the same time he is 40 international games in with 1 half century to show for it. Still young yes but we need to start seeing improvement.

You can’t be 40 games in and still looking nervous or not improving your shot selection and match awareness. Milton Shumba was dropped after 44 games of the same mistakes. At least he won us 1 game. Milton was actually averaging 20 in T20i’s. Madhevere’s average is just below 21. K-Long is averaging 20.6. Marumani is averaging 12.6

More ‘A’ games are needed I guess to develop away from the pressure of the real thing.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The once a year A games are just as much pressure :lol:
For me the answer is in getting a sharp coach to work with the talented guys. Real hands on stuff, repetition etc, and daily. Twice a week you're going backwards. Three times a week is maintenance, more than 3 and you're making progress if you're doing the right stuff.
Being in a team net environment getting your 20-30 minutes of every conceivable delivery on a shit net pitch is, if anything, counter-productive. That's not how you learn. You take what you've learnt into that environment and see if you've improved.
The players need to be paid so they can at least put some financial worries on the back-burner, and afford some decent kit. When the bosses are driving sharp cars and drinking veuve cliquot and players have shit bats and boots you know you're a bottom feeder in a mafia organisation.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

The KPIs of batting in cricket is quite simple. You need to make runs.
I don’t know how people can just dismiss critique of Marumani as just a mental thing.
That IS cricket.
You don’t need stroke aesthetic to be a talented bat.
Look at Bennett. He looks like a tail ender but he makes the runs. More than Marumani has.
Sounds like the Marumsni mystery has been answered to me.
He is good at smashing bad bowling but is found out when standards go up a notch.
Cricket is filled with these types at every level.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Totally. He ain’t producing the goods and needs chopping.

All the excuses are just that, excuses. We live in an age of positive reinforcement which allows accountability to be avoided.

Solely looking good in domestic won’t make runs at international level whichever way you try and spin it. The kid has played 50 games now and hasn’t kicked on.

Real class batters go out and make ugly runs however they can.

Bennett has shown how it’s done, fresh into the side pretty much, promoted to the top of the order because old Raza and Ponso were too chickenshit and he’s come up with the goods. That’s how you do it.

Dog eat dog world in professional cricket with no room for sentiment.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 4:23 pm
Totally. He ain’t producing the goods and needs chopping.

All the excuses are just that, excuses. We live in an age of positive reinforcement which allows accountability to be avoided.

Solely looking good in domestic won’t make runs at international level whichever way you try and spin it. The kid has played 50 games now and hasn’t kicked on.

Real class batters go out and make ugly runs however they can.

Bennett has shown how it’s done, fresh into the side pretty much, promoted to the top of the order because old Raza and Ponso were too chickenshit and he’s come up with the goods. That’s how you do it.

Dog eat dog world in professional cricket with no room for sentiment.
If you look at Bennett and what he has done with a handful of games, it’s not dissimilar to BT, who came in and went straight into opening and made a name for himself.
Burl should be top of the order, the power plays would suit him.

To me, there is no evidence Marumani is anything but a park cricketer and that’s honest. Like I said, every level of cricket and every country has players that can dominate a certain level but not go up, and even playeds who look meek at the lower levels but translate whatever they have against good bowling.

Also by the same token why aren’t we pimping for Cephas?
I get why we don’t know since nigga be 40 and all but by the same measurements the forum are spruiking Marumani, Cephas did it better over the years.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Post by Googly »

He still wacks it. If you don't get him out you've lost.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

I’d play Cephas :lol: :lol:

Succession planning is all well and good but how long can you play that card and it be meaningful?! Marumani has played 50 games now under that card and it ain’t happening for him. You’re basically carrying a passenger until he does come off.

I’d rather play a proven old guy than keep playing a guy for the future who’ll come good one day. You’re basically setting yourself up to lose playing guys like that long term. It’s clear after 10-15 innings whether you’re cut out for it at this moment in time, never mind 50 of them. New guys have come and been chopped for not being up to it whilst Marumani has consistently failed. ‘A’ and Emerging games are for messing about with guys like him, not bloody full internationals and qualifiers ffs :lol:

That’s where the suits need to pull their finger out and get organising.

Ya Burl needs to be up the order, he’s too good a bat and never bowls these days to justify the all rounder at six slot. We’re that shit we don’t really need a “finisher” because we never have a platform for them :lol:, front loading the big guns is our best bet.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 11:35 pm

I watched the highlights
I noticed that all of Bennett’s shots weren’t smooth and had an element of clumsiness to them.
Compare to Razas hits which were smooth and closer to standard international hitting.
I don’t want to be megafauna but he got dropped 3/4 times early on which doesn’t happen often… and the winkiness of it makes me wonder if he can keep it up.
That said- he’s blown away other youngsters and could ill lol Leone and refine and for his age he is doing well and I’m genuinely excited at his emergence.
I watched most of the innings live...I did miss the first 8-9 balls of the innings and yes saw 1 or 2 edges, but I didn't see any dropped catches. Regardless, Bennett has now played like 3 decent to match-winning knocks in the handful of internationals he's played. And its not against Rwanda or Cameroon. A guy like Marumani - and this goes into the most recent discussion on this thread - has played 40 innings, crossed 50 once (only just), has got nowhere near 3 figures, and usually gets out for single digit scores. Bennett is doing a lot more with far less experience.

When I first saw Marumani back in 2021 was it? - he played against Bangladesh and made contact with the ball on less than 50% of the deliveries he faced. Most were either beaten or swing and misses. I had said then that Marumai needed to improve his game by an order of magnitiude just to reach the level of a poor batsman. Well, what I saw of him this series, he has significantly improved his batting...and he's now a poor batsman. Career average of 12 and averaged 12 for the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Marumani has more natural ability than Bennett with the bat.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

That sounds like an ECB press release bro.

In some parallel universe we thumped Zimdesh 4-1 in moral victories with Marumani leading the series natural ability log :lol: