NPL 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: NPL 2024

Post by CalZim »

My prediction for this competition:

Takashinga to win the league
Controversial umpire decisions throughout
A match involving the rangers to be abandoned for no reason
K-long century in less than 40 balls
J Campbell to receive praise by most guys on here
Waterlogged pitch at Takashinga cricket club
A white player hits a 50 and he is named the next Brendan Taylor.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

The latter is a given

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Ya then the murungu scoring 50 inexplicably dropped for the next game :lol: :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Let me tell you what's an interesting development, I've given it some thought.
This Rangers side is loaded with the white guys. It's going to be very interesting to see how ZC take this. They could either decide its a bit of a slap in the face or they could turn it into a positive thing. Its going to generate a lot of interest and get competitive juices flowing. If we see the umpires triggering them and making some shit decisions we'll know they've taken it as a negative. I think most of the players get along, it's the older admin and coaches that may get a bee in their bonnet.
I don't think it's the players who've all decided to club together either. I think some aggressive marketing from the Rangers admin has been the main factor. They've got a good sponsor- a well run fuel company and I guarantee the club will be run very well. It's the very thing we need to get all the clubs to up their games. The problem is some clubs won't be able to keep up. A couple will. Maybe a corporate will get competitive and match them?
C'mon Zuva!!
At the end of the day the plan for a club is to win and get exposure. Takas have successfully done that through questionable means for years. They've now got some legit competition. We know they're spiteful though.

But what's a better look- good players farmed out between 8 clubs to make it look even and competitive or really good players concentrated in 3 clubs? One is better for the game and the other is better for the look. ZC have been about the look, but as long as Takas win. If they change that mindset we're making progress.

On paper it's a strong side and in theory only Takashinga can match them, and that's if they load one team. There are still other good players around for other clubs to pick up. Cricket isn't played on paper though. Maybe Rangers won't do that well even with unbiased umpiring (which I see as impossible). Remains to be seen but its going to be very interesting!! I do see some Rangers guys jumping ship if there's a transfer window because a few really good players may barely get to bat.

From what I can see here are their batters-
Myers, Bennett, Burl, Ervine, Welchx2, Campbell x2, Marumani. You've also got Basson and Schardendorf who were the leading run scorers, you can't just drop them, that's not a good look and unfair. You've got Evans who needs to bat to prove himself as an all rounder as well.
That's 12 pretty good players :lol:
They need bowlers as well so realistically a couple of really good batters are warming the bench. Rangers management have a serious juggling act on their hands if everyone is available. If Schardendorf and Basson continue to bat well you're going to get itchy feet from others :lol:
Theyre under pressure. One or two shit innings from them and they're running water.
Fascinating time coming up.

Post by 55727835 »

any idea who the coach is for the Rangers? they seem pretty closely linked to Alistair Campbell's facility.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think the manager/coach/selector is Gary Brent?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Wasn't he moving to Australia? That was the reason given for leaving the women's job.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

This murungu team is super sketchy :lol: :lol:

Ya I thought the same about Brent. And that he went like six months ago? :lol:

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Sometimes an employer and person may plan to migrate to Oz but when you dig into the costs it adds up to be too much for sponsorship.
Could be happening here.
That is assuming Brwnt qualifies for a visa.
Brent wouldn’t have any grounds for migration to Oz on the surface without delving deep.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Post by 55727835 »

Rangers coach Gray Brent said: “We are very, very excited about getting a ticket to play in the NPL. It’s certainly a great privilege and honour – and we certainly didn’t think in our first season we would do that.

“For the development of our club, it’s really good, we have seen some young kids come through and hopefully we are coming to a stage where we can add more and more people to the development programme. It’s nice to see we have been having a lot of interest in our club and a lot of people coming to trial out which has been great.

“To be honest, I am not setting anybody a target. I just love us to just go in and do the best we can. We have to understand this is our first campaign, so we have to be realistic in sort of what we expect. I expect that we will hopefully win more games than we lose and that’s the sort of target that we are looking forward to.

“But I’m really interested to see how we do. We have got some exceptional players who have signed up for us and it’s going to be an interesting time.”