Ryan Higgins Turned Down Zimbabwe Approach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee

Re: Ryan Higgins Turned Down Zimbabwe Approach

Post by Pat_Bee »

Old Ben Curran in the mix if he can get his game in order. Not being contracted with Northants anymore makes ZC’s negotiating easier if they wanted him.

Forum favourite Naqvi playing Saltburn CC today in the NYSD league. :lol: needs a couple of big scores to get his name back in the frame.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Naqvi being out of the country for the whole winter fucks his residency qualification. So thats that gone.

If Curran was serious then he'd do the hard yards and do an NPL season here like everyone else. He won't be in the picture until he does. He just seems to fly in for a couple of months and then fly out again. They won't take him seriously until he's around full-time.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 10:04 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:58 am
Honestly there’s more chance of me playing for Zimbabwe than Ballance or BT going forward.
:lol: If you can hold a bat you’re in the team bro
Spoiler: I can't.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 10:17 am
Naqvi being out of the country for the whole winter fucks his residency qualification. So thats that gone.

If Curran was serious then he'd do the hard yards and do an NPL season here like everyone else. He won't be in the picture until he does. He just seems to fly in for a couple of months and then fly out again. They won't take him seriously until he's around full-time.
Ya Curran is hoping for an hallelujah double hundred without the hard yards. Plus we've seen enough if him to know he's a journeyman. Ain't gonna happen for him.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Perhaps we could get the original Ryan Higgins back? He did once dismiss Brian Lara!
https://www.espncricinfo.com/cricketers ... gins-55518

If I have learned anything over my years of following Zimbabwean cricketers around the globe, it is never to ordain someone returning from England a saviour. Jarvis came back half the bowler he was when he left, Nick Welch has struggled mightily, Ballance didn't last long, there is no guarantee the second Ryan Higgins would set the world alight.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by 55727835 »

Cartwright has done wonders in the Australian scene- very hard done by to not play more internationals. I wonder if he'd be in a similar situation to Higgins if he plays for Zim. Only a certain number of internationals allowed in the Big Bash and its a tight selection process. Same for Sheffield Shield- I can't think of the last time an international played Shield.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 4:45 am
Perhaps we could get the original Ryan Higgins back? He did once dismiss Brian Lara!
https://www.espncricinfo.com/cricketers ... gins-55518

If I have learned anything over my years of following Zimbabwean cricketers around the globe, it is never to ordain someone returning from England a saviour. Jarvis came back half the bowler he was when he left, Nick Welch has struggled mightily, Ballance didn't last long, there is no guarantee the second Ryan Higgins would set the world alight.
What is England doing to ruin these players do you think?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Huge lack of game time, might be lucky to get a bit of a run in the one day cup while the good guys are in the hundred.

The conditions; if you can bowl that dukes ball at a certain speed and swing it then you’re a threat. No need to work on getting an extra yard of pace or getting some variations in your kit bag.

On the flip side with most of the Champo at the start and back ends of the season, the ball is king. So if you’re making runs you’re pretty boss.

Ballance :lol: :lol: well who knows what went wrong there? I think he ruined himself rather than England tbh. He had a reasonable international career and a very solid county career. He came back here after all that Rafiq business and his heart wasn’t truly in it ever I’d suspect.

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

Byrom, Higgins, maybe some others I don't know. They should be courted to play for Zimbabwe.

I do not see a conflict from being pursued to play for Zimbabwe national squad and continuing playing in overseas domestic leagues.
Apart from few overlappings, there would be plenty of chances: England has just a 6 (-1) months seasons, where (-1) is the month for the Hundred.
There are a lot of months to play fixtures for Zimbabwe national squad.

Not only there is space in time, there is also opportunity.
None of Byrom or Higgins have other chances to play international cricket in any other Country.
Sadly for them, they do not also have chances to play in prestigious (and lucrative) T20 leagues worldwide.

So why not a few stints in Zimbabwe national team?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

For the 100th time on this forum and the 2nd time literally on this thread.....

If they play for Zimbabwe then they can no longer play in England as a domestic player.