[Match Thread] Zimbabwe vs New Zealand (2nd ODI)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: [Match Thread] Zimbabwe vs New Zealand (2nd ODI)

Post by Jemisi »

Not sure Bob is paying attention anymore, though I suppose he ought not to be underestimated.

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

Jemisi wrote:though I suppose he ought not to be underestimated.
Certainly I was surprised to hear tha Mujuru was at the cricket the sunday before his death (on tuesday), so you just never know...
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Did Mugabe ever watch Zimbabwe cricket or pay any attention to it

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Mugabe was certainly a cricket fan in his younger years. Didn't he listen to it on the radio when he was imprisoned or something? Mugabe always loved British high society and cricket fit into this very well. Mugabe's anger towards Britain and white people is partially driven by the fact that he has never been accepted by them (for good reason).
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

PieChucker

Post by PieChucker »

I can remember his Bobness attending games at HSC. Had his own box and he was quite a keen follower of the game.
A certain black armband protest by Henry and Andy ended all that! don't think he's ever been back since.

hhm

Post by hhm »

eugene wrote:Mugabe always loved British high society and cricket fit into this very well. Mugabe's anger towards Britain and white people is partially driven by the fact that he has never been accepted by them (for good reason).
Eugene have you been reading and listening to too much Heidi Holland? Anyway, none of that is true! If you lived in Zim and observed a lot in the early years of Zim independence, you will actually find that in comparison, the majority of white people like Mugabe and plenty of White journalists talked him up for the most part. Which cannot be said about the majority of Zim blacks including many Shona tribes. He was a mirror image of Mandela now, more White people love Mandela than do a Black Saffers. The reasons are obvious and do not merit our time and discussion. But hey take it from an SA Xhosa who's lived In Zim. Bob would get a bigger applause from Black Saffers anyday, far greater than would Zuma & Mandela combined. As people from Zimwe know better, but that's the case. Now you can chuck that book away.

He's a man who's full of himself, who liked Cricket because he's a 'gentleman' and wanted to be associated with a superior more gentleman like sport, as opposed to the masses' favorite - football. Nothing more to it.
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

eugene

Post by eugene »

hhm wrote:
eugene wrote:Mugabe always loved British high society and cricket fit into this very well. Mugabe's anger towards Britain and white people is partially driven by the fact that he has never been accepted by them (for good reason).
Eugene have you been reading and listening to too much Heidi Holland? Anyway, none of that is true! If you lived in Zim and observed a lot in the early years of Zim independence, you will actually find that in comparison, the majority of white people like Mugabe and plenty of White journalists talked him up for the most part. Which cannot be said about the majority of Zim blacks including many Shona tribes. He was a mirror image of Mandela now, more White people love Mandela than do a Black Saffers. The reasons are obvious and do not merit our time and discussion. But hey take it from an SA Xhosa who's lived In Zim. Bob would get a bigger applause from Black Saffers anyday, far greater than would Zuma & Mandela combined. As people from Zimwe know better, but that's the case. Now you can chuck that book away.

He's a man who's full of himself, who liked Cricket because he's a 'gentleman' and wanted to be associated with a superior more gentleman like sport, as opposed to the masses' favorite - football. Nothing more to it.
Ok, I will trust your judgement on this one.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Conant

Post by Conant »

hhm wrote:

Too bad...

Reminds me of recent happenings in a certain Libya, and how the West dilly-dallyed between love and hate for Ghadaffi before he finally outlived his usefulness.
Chematama will follow the same path, thank God Joshua Nkomo was ever consistent.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Not to sure what to think of the colonel situation.

It seems the media are trying to hard to beat it into a Hollywood story of the repressed people rising up against a baddie.

Yet I don't believe things are that clear cut.

The new guys apparently a hardcore Muslim though so it will be funny to see what transpires
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

hhm

Post by hhm »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:Not to sure what to think of the colonel situation. It seems the media are trying to hard to beat it into a Hollywood story of the repressed people rising up against a baddie. Yet I don't believe things are that clear cut. The new guys apparently a hardcore Muslim though so it will be funny to see what transpires
The fact that they are trying to bury the body in a secret place to aviod it being turned into a 'shrine' tells a story in itself. Because if you have millions of Libyans flocking to a known burial site to pay homage at anniversaries of his death, would make you question just how many hated the bustard exactly, and which Libya Nato (i.e. Cameron-Obama-Sarkozy) were 'helping'! Contrary to common opinion - perhaps Africans are more civilised - they have Lancaster House talks and Truth & Recinciliation Commissions instead of this relentless pursut for blood!!! Sets a precedent, one that will embarass them for many years to come! Fact: what goes around comes around. Everyone should receive their due. He deserved to go down. I just don't like how it happened, as well as who effected it. I particularly hate the disguting and public display of the whole capture, torture, killing and bodies display. Personally I didn't need that.

Anyway I doubt the colonel knew about cricket or Bradman or Olonga, so he has no place in the ZCF.
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis