New zimbabwe cricket star

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
etoreveyi
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

New zimbabwe cricket star

Post by etoreveyi »

Watch out for this one

Edwin Tapiwa grew up in the high density of Rutendo in Kwekwe. He didnt achieve much as he was only called into Midlands under 12 teams in the early 2000s. He later moved to SAndringham high school which didnt offer cricket at all. So 6 years without cricket made Edwin to be determined to at least give it a shot before he finaly let resources be his downfall.Recently he got a scholarship to study agriculture with the University of Fort hare. He has managed to break into the 1st team and managed to represent his University at the just ended USSA competitions held last year.At University he plays with some upcoming south african stars who play for Boarder acadamy the likes of Luthando Mnyanda, G Koopman, Rodolo, Makhapela etc . He has managed to have the previlaged to be assisted by Makaya Ntini at Fort Hare and hopes he continues to inprove.

Here is a sample how Edwin plays in the nets. He is an allrounder , he balls at a decent pace of around 120km/hr and bats on position 3 for his University.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIibRF_IVnk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F84OciRLDoU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ9mYK4zQt8

After watching the clips what's your comment

ZIMDOGGY

Re: New zimbabwe cricket star

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Hi Edwin!
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

sscricket
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by sscricket »

The technique looks exactly similar to Regis Chakabva.

The feet are not moving. The bat is just coming down from a fixed position. You wont be able to play length balls.
Look at Kane williamson and Tendulkar. It is hard to pick up from Tendulkar but you can see Sehwag and Dravid as to how they play.

You can also watch Kasuza and Sauramba close to home.

You need three things to get most out of you natural ability to see and hit the ball.
1. Initial feet movement. back and across or something like that. This is not mandatory.
2. Vertical bat position to start with. You bat is in a horizontal position when the bowler deliver the ball. You will end up pushing at deliveries. A lot of youngster have this bad habit look at some internationals. I used to be like that but never adjusted to uneven or slowish wickets. You need to very tall to use your current technique effectively.
3. Still head. This is the most important and to keep your shape through the shot.
5. Move the head and feet consciously but if you start with the veritcal bat position this will automatically happen. This is not mandatory either.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Look pretty average if im being honest mate

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Looks like many high school level cricketers, rather dicey technique which will be exposed at higher levels.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

I have been watching Virat kholi and I see a star in the making... For Edwins sake you may want to revise the title. What I do like is the fact that he is taking the effort to get video footage of himself and hopefully use to correct himself while putting himself in the selectors face. All the best.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by betterdays »

the title's fine "zimbabwe cricket star"! I am guessing Zimdoggy's got this right and that you're Edwin, in which case nuff respec' for posting ... I don't think i'm much use as a critic but
major positives: the balance looks good ... + good support at uni
major negative: feet not moving enough

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

Yeah the technique isn't the text book kind, but, does it really matter? Out your successful batters you have your Kallises, Pontings, Laras etc, the text book type of batters, then you have your Graeme Smith, Chanderpaul, Sehwag etc the 'ugly' batters. At the end of the day what matters is scoring runs and if this technique is getting you runs why change it?
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

No footwork in there at all. Couple of blocks saw the ball loop up. Has work to do, but whats to say it cant be done.

PSR

Post by PSR »

Future matsi