Zimbabwe cricket quiz

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Zimbabwe cricket quiz

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
First Zimbabwean to be given out lbw by third umpire decision?
Overall he was the second player to be given out in this fashion.
I am quite sure it was Guy Whittall. It was in one of the league matches of ICC Champions trophy 2001. It was really disheartening to see him get out like that, as he was pacing his innings really well to push for a Zimbabwean victory...

Somebody please update the correct reply for the twins question.

Here's my question anyway...(a pretty big and interesting one, I suppose :) )

In an ODI against India in 2000, these two Zimbabweans "stole the show" by letting the world know of their frustrations about the excessive and atrocious LBW appeals made by Sourav Ganguly. One, while batting, questioned these tactics by speaking very close to the stump mike, and the other, while bowling, imitated the appeals made by Ganguly earlier in the day, a-la the famous More-Miandad showdown. Who are the two Zimbabweans we are talking about?
Isn't andy's answer correct?

Regarding your question - it would have to be this game when Ganguly took 5-fer.

I'll go with Whittall when batting and Friend when bowling.

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Now coming to your question, even i was frustrated by Skipper Ganguly's excessive appealing. It was uncalled for. If i'm not wrong it was the Jodhpur ODI where Zim snatched thrilling 1 wkt win chasing 280 plus.
And the gentleman involved, i think Flower brothers. Gobby infact booed the crowd when he took a wkt. You can understand the gravity of situation if legend Andy Is involved.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
First Zimbabwean to be given out lbw by third umpire decision?
Overall he was the second player to be given out in this fashion.
I am quite sure it was Guy Whittall. It was in one of the league matches of ICC Champions trophy 2001. It was really disheartening to see him get out like that, as he was pacing his innings really well to push for a Zimbabwean victory...

Somebody please update the correct reply for the twins question.

Here's my question anyway...(a pretty big and interesting one, I suppose :) )

In an ODI against India in 2000, these two Zimbabweans "stole the show" by letting the world know of their frustrations about the excessive and atrocious LBW appeals made by Sourav Ganguly. One, while batting, questioned these tactics by speaking very close to the stump mike, and the other, while bowling, imitated the appeals made by Ganguly earlier in the day, a-la the famous More-Miandad showdown. Who are the two Zimbabweans we are talking about?
Isn't andy's answer correct?

Regarding your question - it would have to be this game when Ganguly took 5-fer.

I'll go with Whittall when batting and Friend when bowling.
Ganguly was indeed suspended for final match along with keeper Dahiya. thriced he appealed furiously vs Nkala.
In the prev mt Andy was furious whn he ran out Grant and threw bat in anger.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yes, it was indeed the match where Ganguly got a 5-for. The 4th ODI at Kanpur, 11th Dec 2000. Guy Whittall, as rightly pointed out by brmtaylor.com admin, bent down to stump mike and said something on the lines of this: "How many times must people be warned for excessive appealing, may I ask?"

The bowler who did a mockery of Ganguly's appealing was Bryan Strang, after an unsuccessful LBW appeal against Sachin Tendulkar.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

I was pretty close to a correct answer, so I'll take the next one :P

Of all the bowlers in world cricket, who has taken the most wickets in a match at Harare Sports Club?

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)

Yeah, i remember it was Bryan Strang who was jumping and it was funny to see. I was at the stadium and i actually saw it however i couldnt hear what Guy said on microphone as i was following it live and not on tv.
It was my first experience of watching Zimbabweans live :)
Zim Rules

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Of all the bowlers in world cricket, who has taken the most wickets in a match at Harare Sports Club?
Best bowling figures in a Test match - Irfan Pathan (126/12)
Best bowling figures in an innings of a test match - Allan Donald (71/8)
Best bowling figures in an ODI - Fidel Edwards (22/6)

Here is my latest question...

Glenn Turner, Viv Richards, Kapil Dev, Rameez Raja, Gary Kirsten, Saurav Ganguly, Imran Nazir.
A Zimbabwean has to be added to this list. Who is he and what is the connection?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Best bowling figures in a Test match - Irfan Pathan (126/12)
Best bowling figures in an innings of a test match - Allan Donald (71/8)
Best bowling figures in an ODI - Fidel Edwards (22/6)

Here is my latest question...

Glenn Turner, Viv Richards, Kapil Dev, Rameez Raja, Gary Kirsten, Saurav Ganguly, Imran Nazir.
A Zimbabwean has to be added to this list. Who is he and what is the connection?
Craig Wishart for World Cup 150's?

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Craig Wishart for World Cup 150's?
Craig Wishart it is. But the reasoning needs a little refinement. All these players hold the record for the highest individual score in a match among all matches in different editions of world cups.

Turner(1975), Richards(1979, 1987), Dev(1983), Raja(1992), Kirsten(1996), Ganguly(1999), Wishart(2003) and Nazir(2007).

So, you can ask the next question :)

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Where was the location of Rhodesia's first cricket match?
I need: the town, and where exactly the game was played at.