Letting go of the past

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Letting go of the past

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote: I suppose it confirms what is now an open secret: Not all things were rosy within the team back then and new players were not necessarily made welcome, even white players.
True.

But we also lost an opportunity to put up a photo quiz question there, using that photo :)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Sorry, should have left the photo out. I bet not many people would have got it as Sean Davies is largely unremembered it seems. The reason I remember him is because he made his debut touring NZ and scored a solid 45 in one of the ODIs.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

:) I had searched desperately for his image a couple of times before with no success, so we get to see him finally...

Googly

Post by Googly »

foreignfield wrote:
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:One thing I will miss are seeing the beach blonde surfy white guys represent a small African country. There was something strangely unique about it, also gave a 'them against the world' image. its a shame that politics and dwindling numbers will prevent that again.
Yeah definitely it's unique. It's what drew my attention to Zimbabwe cricket; how did guys with surnames like Campbell and Flower end up representing a country like Zimbabwe. When you start learning more about the region and its history it makes sense; but until you know more you just tend to associate Zimbabwe with guys like Mugabe, not a hundred years of British rule.
That's funny, because what first attracted me to Zimbabwe cricket in the late 90s, apart from their perennial underdog status, was the complete opposite: That black guys like Olonga and Mbangwa were now representing their country in a sport which had been at the very heart of the white identity in a formely racist society.

Somewhat naively I thought this as a sign of good things to come ...
A formerly racist society???
What do u think it is now?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

googly i thought the same.

What was so racist about the former regime anyway. no one has yet to tell me with a point i cant refute
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Googly wrote:
foreignfield wrote:That's funny, because what first attracted me to Zimbabwe cricket in the late 90s, apart from their perennial underdog status, was the complete opposite: That black guys like Olonga and Mbangwa were now representing their country in a sport which had been at the very heart of the white identity in a formely racist society.

Somewhat naively I thought this as a sign of good things to come ...
A formerly racist society???
What do u think it is now?
I wasn't speaking of the present but my somewhat naive and not fully-informed assumption from the late 90s that cricket was serving as an integrating factor in a racially divided country. In the years that followed I had to learn that things were more complicated than that ...

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I don't think I can ever let go of the past where Zimbabwean cricket is concerned. I will forever remember the team from the 90s and early 2000s with fond memories such as:

Eddo Brandes terrorising the English en route to a 3-0 ODI series whitewash.
Charlie Lock single-handedly bowling Zimbabwe to an ODI victory in NZ under lights, helping to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Test victory against Pakistan with Grant Flower scoring a double century.
Test series victory in Pakistan.
1999 World Cup
ODI Series victory in NZ

When I look back on the period 2003-2013 all I will remember will be players leaving, corruption, racism, constant thrashings, and the country as a whole completely collapsing. I am sure there are some good memories in there somewhere, but they are few and far between.

I only wish I had recordings of all of the great memories so I could relive them better. So few old videos are out there.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes