Think of an innovative idea to reinvigorate domestic cricket

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Think of an innovative idea to reinvigorate domestic cricket

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I look at the BBL games and I'm both surprised and impressed that CA has been able to pump life into domestic cricket. Where a few years ago a ground like the WACA might have only had one sell-out day a year (day 1 of the Test), now it's getting half a dozen or so due to the success of the Scorchers. Tasmania is benefiting, as is South Australia (though probably to a lesser extent because AFL is played at Adelaide Oval in winter now).

As long as CA aren't stupid - like the ECB and their awful scheduling of T20; they really did kill the goose that laid the golden egg - then there's no reason why the BBL can't stay successful.

Is there anything ZC can do to reinvigorate domestic cricket?
Assume a limited budget of a bit less than the Stanbic T20.

Could this work? And is it an idea you'd throw your support behind?

Zim's domestic T20 consists of 2 teams - Mashonaland/East/Harare vs Matabeleland/West/Bulawayo (whatever you want to call them). It will basically feature all international players in a state-of-origin type contest, thus keeping the quality high. A maximum of 2 overseas mercenaries allowed per side (so if they can snare a Pietersen or a Gayle or whatever, that's fine and will help the TV ratings).

The series is played just around Christmas (so in school holiday time when people are also off work), and after the conclusion of the SA T20 tournament - so last year it might have looked like this. For the hell of it, let's just pretend HSC has floodlights.

Friday December 19 (night) - Harare vs Bulawayo at Harare Sports Club
Sunday December 21 - Harare vs Bulawayo at Harare Sports Club
Tuesday December 23 - Harare vs Bulawayo at Queens Sports Club
Saturday December 27 - Harare vs Bulawayo at Queens Sports Club -- if required
Monday December 29 (night) - Harare vs Bulawayo at Harare Sports Club -- if required

Warm-up/acclimatisation match for the SA Team:
Tuesday December 30 - Zimbabwe A vs SA T20 Winner at Country Club

Final:
Wednesday December 31 (NYE night) - TBC vs SA T20 Winner at Harare Sports Club

Notes:
- the series is a maximum of 5 matches and the first to 3 wins progresses to the final against the winner of the SA T20 competition
- whether HSC or QSC gets the majority of the group matches could alternate year to year.
- final is always at HSC so it can be played under floodlights on new years eve.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Think of an innovative idea to reinvigorate domestic cri

Post by eugene »

I would think three teams would be preferable. Maybe even an invitational All-Star team, although this will drive costs up significantly.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

Seriously BRM?Nice suggestion but here's mine
Get rid of the franchise admin, PA,Bookkeeper,etc they get the bulk of the pay. Between the 3 mentioned, over $10k/month. They work 90% less than a player. They are told what to do by ZC and in most cases they cannot get sponsorship because of their own dirty records. In short the franchises don't need these lazy overpaid workers.
That alone will save at least half a million a year.
Now get the provincial cricket branches to step in and run the franchise as well as the leagues. Some honesty and accountability and cash for the basics in cricket....like balls! That will reinvigorate cricketers.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

jimmylesaint wrote:Seriously BRM?Nice suggestion but here's mine
I thought the inclusion of night games showed that there was a fair bit of artistic license :P

grant
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by grant »

3 teams, I think, is a better idea

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

grant wrote:3 teams, I think, is a better idea
Why not have all 4? There's even talk of the Rocks franchise returning.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

SpitfiresKent wrote:
grant wrote:3 teams, I think, is a better idea
Why not have all 4? There's even talk of the Rocks franchise returning.
My thinking is by having two teams in a state of origin type contest you're creating a cricket event, rather than just another tournament. Like Qld vs NSW state of origin rugby (NRL).

On a practical level, if the games are televised then you can't have them in Mutare, Kwekwe or Masvingo. Therefore if they are played in Harare or Bulawayo, what's the point of having Mountaineers vs Southern Rocks (for example)? May as well just concentrate the talent to the two city teams and be assured of home crowd support wherever the match is played.

SpitfiresKent

Post by SpitfiresKent »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:On a practical level, if the games are televised then you can't have them in Mutare, Kwekwe or Masvingo. Therefore if they are played in Harare or Bulawayo, what's the point of having Mountaineers vs Southern Rocks (for example)? May as well just concentrate the talent to the two city teams and be assured of home crowd support wherever the match is played.
I think the fans would turn out regardless. The thought of just two teams playing eachother over and over is boring, 5 teams (even 4) would make it more interesting. As you say all games could be played at Harare or Bulawayo.

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Apparently Campbell wants to bring Rocks back. Great decision in my point of view. Expose more to First Class cricket. Bring up the depth in the system. Just needs to be managed alot better. But things are starting to look up. We will see but things look a tad more promising.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Heard a rumour that Matt Bentley is looking to return to Zim Zimbabwe Cricket, part of ACs grand plan?