ZCF Tough Guys Award

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Detective RDS

Re: ZCF Tough Guys Award

Post by Detective RDS »

rupeni wrote:
Detective RDS wrote:Graeme Smith once batted with a broken hand. All the Aussies & the crowd were shocked he came out to bat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk_XgnIsM04
Well, we are talking about Zimbabwe and it's players.
I see there are mention of other teams players as well in previous post.

For Zimbabwe, it's Guy Whittal according to me.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Current tough guys

Mawoyo ( always willing to dig in rarely plays a dumb shot to get out )

Cremer ( his batting we all know about and even know he hasn't bowled well lately he still gets through a lot of overs on flat decks )

Tiripano ( much like Cremer his digs in with the bat even when the top and middle order give it away and he bowls all day on flat decks for little reward but remains consistent)

Madziva ( has won the 'big moments' to deliver victories for Zimbabwe which is rare for the current bunch who seem to buckle under the slightest bit of pressure )

I feel the rest of the side are mentally weak, although I don't want to put young guys like Moor, Jongwe and Wellington in that crew as they haven't proved themselves either way .....

As for former players the list would be so long .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Moor is tough, proved it with this knock here. Wellington we don't know, he hasn't be tested.

Jongwe though I can tell does not have it in him, based on what we've seen of him so far. If he drastically improves his game it may be a different call on him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

You can tell ? Cmon Kriterion you're better than that :D

I actually think he has shown toughness by stepping up to open the innings once or twice when his older and more experienced team mates could have. Also he was given the new ball and death bowling duties at such a young age and doesn't go missing even when the bowlers went after him .....

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

pffft,
Jongwe is rubbish.

Another 125 bowler that gets the odd thirty.

Seriously you'd be better with Tiripano doing his role.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yes, we are so desperate that we might want to classify one gutsy effort as toughness. Cremer has produced this sort of performance multiple times in the last year or so. His partnership with Hamilton vs Afganistan was another high pressure knock. Tiripano has made it a habit to guts it out. Moor has now played two such knocks in a row - but he has to show that more consistently over the coming days. These three are definitely ahead of others when it comes to playing tough, for a decent length of time.

Waller wishes to be like that, but his technical deficiencies let him down time and again. Madziva has held his nerve a couple of times to win us games, but mental toughness to play long knocks / bowl long difficult spells is a different thing altogether. What he has shown is calmness under high pressure bursts, not toughness regularly yet. Jongwe is nowhere in this equation. The guy has to grow up and take responsibility for his acts and be a better role model first.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Jaybro look at Jongwe's stats and the teams he's played against. Bangladesh is strongest team he's had to face and his numbers are still mediocre. Off the top of my head I'm gonna guess 40 average, 5.50 econ.

5.5 is not bad if he's had to bowl at the death, but im not sure he has consistently been tasked to close out the innings.

Apart from the numbers I've watched the kid play. I didnt see anything with bat or ball.

But I can tell you Mumba looks different. You mentioned KJ and Chatara in the other thread. Mumba is better than Chatara. Chatara had some pace, bowled a nagging line outside off, but he'd still struggle to take wickets.

KJ was the most gifted red ball quick in the entire post 2004 era. His white ball skills? Mediocre, and thats being generous. But his red ball skills were top shelf.

Its not about what you're willing to do but what you actually do.

We could judge Moor and say he should open instead of Chari instead of hiding at 7. But that would spit in the face of a truly remarkable innings when the team was done and dusted.

Context is key.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:Actually Anil Kumble was a tough bugger. I remember him bowling with a broken jaw and a bandage around his head - he even dismissed Brian Lara.
Yeah, here's some video of that nerve racking spell, unfortunately, this does not cover the Lara wicket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpG5S6-RSI

But crazy to be bowling with a broken jaw like that, and to pretty much have the same accuracy. It seems he said "I'm pretty much flying home after this match anyway, let me be on the field and try to help in whatever way I can". He later said in an interview that he was fielding at the fine leg after his overs and there was a small Indian contingent who had come to watch, and every time he finished his over and went back to field there, they all used to stand up and sing "Vande Mataram", the Indian national song. Must have been one of the proudest moments for any Indian cricketer. He had said he had tears in his eyes...

That interview in the video by Andrew Liepus tells the whole story.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Kriterion, who are the BD Tough Guys? Historically, I can't look beyond Mohammed Rafique (what a wonderful guy!) and one of my favorites, Rajin Saleh. I thought he was really tough once he stepped onto the field. Thought Nasir Hossain had those qualities, but not sure what BCB is doing with his career...

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I never put Jongwe in the basket of tough guy I just said I'm not ready to put him in with the likes of Sibanda, Chigs, Hami, Willy etc who have fallen to pieces under the pressure for a decade .....