Countdown to Test cricket: Who should open the batting?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Who should open the batting? (select 2 players)

Poll ended at Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:31 am

Chibhabha
No votes
Coventry
No votes
Duffin
22%
Ewing
No votes
H Masakadza
22%
Mawoyo
6%
Sibanda
8%
Taibu
4%
Taylor
37%

Total votes: 49

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Countdown to Test cricket: Who should open the batting?

Post by Boundary »

hhm wrote:
On a separate note, I haven't been on this forum all that long, but hearing these kind of names thrown around like Mawayo, Regis and Matsi(not that bad a test player by the way), I get the feeling that Forster Mutizwa is either highly underrated or not rated at all. Anyway...
I rate Mutizwa very very highly. :o and have mentioned this many times. It's just that this forum goes through periods of obsession. Matsi and Dabengwa caused a particularly heated debate last year, that's why their names crop up once in a while mainly to spice up things on slow days. A particular focus of debate these days is Sibanda and recently it was METH but he seems to be winning everyone over. As far as Mutizwa is concerned, I'm happy he's not being thrown into the deep end - he's bound to be a fixture for years but I don't like to hype him too much. Seamers like Meth, Jarvis, Chatara and Shingi are another matter, we need a couple of them urgently to step up.

Anyway, as far as this vote is concerned, it's nice to see unanimous agreement on Taylor (11 out of possible 15 votes - so far). Let's enjoy it while it lasts, the debate about that second spot is just starting! 8-)

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

taylor and duffin should open considering that duff has maturity and the no 3 slot should be given to williams and craig should bat @ 4 then taibu at 5 and elton at6 possibly try coventry for some fire power batting @ 7 then cremer @ 8 meth @9 could do something with the bat then price @10 and maybe give jarvis a chance @11can do a little trick.To me it could be a balanced team

clikcspeed
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by clikcspeed »

Zim Test Squad should be:
01 Taylor
02 Duffin
03 Masakadza
04 Williams
05 Ervine
06 Taibu
07 Chigumbura*
08 Price
09 Rainsford
10 Meth
11 Chatara

12 Cremer
13 Jarvis
14 Mawoyo
15 Lamb
16 Utseya

The core batsmen are Ervine, Masakadza, Taibu (an average of 40+ runs per inninings from each), Taylor should be allowed to play his natural game, Duffin and Williams to hold the innings together (bat long). Chigumbura should relinquish the captaincy so that the #7 spot (all rounder/5th bowler) is selected based on conditions - ie in the subcontinent you 2 full time spinners.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

My Final line up would now be :

1. Duffin
2. Sibanda
3. Williams
4. Taylor
5. Ervine
6. Taibu (Wkt)
7. Chigumbura
8. Meth
9. S.Mazakadza
10. Price (Cpt)
11. Nicholson

12. Cremer
13. Mazakadza
14. Utsea
15. Chitara/Jarvis

I've put Shingrai Mazakadza in because in a test match, we would very rarely see two spinners opperate unless the wicket spun dramatically. If that was the case Utsea would come in straight away, or maybe Cremer. I've chosen Nicolson because i liked what i saw in South Africa. He has genuine pace, a vwery nice high arm action, and the willingness to bowl and train hard.

Conant

Post by Conant »

sloandog wrote:My Final line up would now be :

1. Duffin
2. Sibanda
3. Williams
4. Taylor
5. Ervine
6. Taibu (Wkt)
7. Chigumbura
8. Meth
9. S.Mazakadza
10. Price (Cpt)
11. Nicholson

12. Cremer
13. Mazakadza
14. Utsea
15. Chitara/Jarvis

I've put Shingrai Mazakadza in because in a test match, we would very rarely see two spinners opperate unless the wicket spun dramatically. If that was the case Utsea would come in straight away, or maybe Cremer. I've chosen Nicolson because i liked what i saw in South Africa. He has genuine pace, a vwery nice high arm action, and the willingness to bowl and train hard.
H. Masakadza out of your side? You kidding, Mr Campell, right? :D

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

i think Shingarai in particular in the test match format will blossom as he has been taking wickets consistently in the first class format. Whatever happened to Blessing mahwire and hondo? though they still play first class cricket they still have valuable test experience, are they still quite pacey? (mahwire in particular) as they once were? Either or would be good to complement the new pace bowlers like shingi and chatara coming through

Lostart
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Lostart »

Initally i would probably go for a side that bats deep,

1. Duffin
2. Masakadza
3. Williams
4. Taylor
5. Ervine
6. Taibu (Wkt)
7. Chigumbura
8. Meth
9. Cremer/Utseya
10. Price (Cpt)
11. Chitara/S.Masakadza

Conant

Post by Conant »

jimbo wrote:i think Shingarai in particular in the test match format will blossom as he has been taking wickets consistently in the first class format. Whatever happened to Blessing mahwire and hondo? though they still play first class cricket they still have valuable test experience, are they still quite pacey? (mahwire in particular) as they once were? Either or would be good to complement the new pace bowlers like shingi and chatara coming through
Mawhire plays for Southern Rocks in Masvingo. Arguably the worst bowling side in the country.

Douglas Hondo plays for Harare side Mashonaland.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Brendan Taylor and Terrence Duffin to open the batting...

asif

Post by asif »

Asif Ali .........From Pakistan.

Masakadza Should open.