Zimbabwe A Tour Of UAE for 5 unofficial odis

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe A Tour Of UAE for 5 unofficial odis

Post by jaybro »

http://www.3-mob.com/sport/chibhabha-ca ... -uae-tour/

Anyone else think this should have been a proper ODI series considering UAE have ODI status ??

Even if Mire, Cremer, Raza etc wanted to skip it to play BPL we could have still sent a strong side
Last edited by jaybro on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

TapsC wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:08 am
jaybro wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:59 pm
People are getting excited about Bruce because he’s a very tall left arm pace bowler who can bat, probably the same people who were getting excited about Ngarava despite his poor showings.

He didn’t bowl much in the current match but I’d say from looking at who’s taking the wickets it’s a slow turner so not ideal for a pace man.

Check yourself Conant you’re becoming Hhm 2.0

you do realize that James Bruce has played 3 list A games and taken 3 wickets at an average of 43 and economy of 7 right? I don't even like Ngarava and feel like he has gotten special treatment but he has played at least 3 times the number of games as Bruce and has a better bowling average in the short format. they are after all playing the short format.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would pick somebody after 3 games with a list A average like that. give him time to prove himself. if he is good enough he will make the grade. the same reason why Muzarabani wasn't picked. not enough domestic games.

also the Robots criticism of Madziva being in the A team is ridiculous. we have all seen what he can do and he has proven himself at international level with 20 wickets in 12 games at an average of 26 and strike rate of 26. we have literally seen him win 2 games for us.

As for Chari I don't think he is good enough. I can agree on that. Nathan Waller is a different story. don't know why they always pick him for the longer format. there must be a reason

By your logic, Selection of Bruce will be based on stats, whereas Ngarava got picked in that Afghanistan A series in 2016, first time in list A cricket without any performance at the domestic cricket neither in the Africa T20 games.

He was picked just for his phisique or reputation for being tall who can hit 140 kph.
Robo to rule :oops:

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:32 am

Anyone else think this should have been a proper ODI series considering UAE have ODI status ??

Even if Mire, Cremer, Raza etc wanted to skip it to play BPL we could have still sent a strong side
UAE has got the odi status till 2018, because of the qualification in 2015 WC but at present they will be playing division 2 in february to fight for the last 2 spots to be in 2018 World Cup Qualifiers.

Its good oportunity for Fringe players to become probables for Zimbabwe National Team.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Black Mamba wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:40 am
jaybro wrote:

UAE has got the odi status till 2018, because of the qualification in 2015 WC but at present they will be playing division 2 in february to fight for the last 2 spots to be in 2018 World Cup Qualifiers.

Its good oportunity for Fringe players to become probables for Zimbabwe National Team.
Yeah I get that but as I said we could have sent a weakened side an still given guys like Burl, Musakanda, Ngarava, Wellington & Chisoro some exposure.

Just think we need to playing as much ODI cricket as possible with the WCQ not that far away.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:20 am
The reason why people get excited or there is a large interest in players like Bruce is because white players are very rare in Zimbabwean Domestic cricket now a days, I think there is only about 11 or 12 in total ? Back in the mid to late 90's it was the same when a black players name was seen, people were naturally interested due to it being a rare commodity.
Yeah, that's true, but calling for premature inclusion to representational sides on the back of that reasoning is uncalled for. If he is good enough, he wants to succeed, he will stick around long enough to perform and reap rewards.

As for Ngarava's inclusion, yes, most of us were against it at that stage, but he showed he wasn't too much out of depth, and showed that he had something to work with. As aydee put it elsewhere, it was a punt by the electors to go for the variation of a tall left hander, hoping for success. Sometimes such punts are necessary for identifying and fast tracking talent. It may not work always though. This is the same reason I was also for Mire in the test team. It is worth the punt. (May be Waller in tests was also was a punt that went too far? :D).
jaybro wrote:
But may be it is fine to play them with out A team and see if they are capable of beating their first XI, which on paper, they should be able to. Good exposure to the A team as out first XI looks at tougher assignments. This is also a way of showing them where we stand. To say, "even our A team can beat your first XI" (if we can do it that is, like the good old days where our A teams bossed the associates). So, they would be serious about this series and I'm sure it will be a proper XIs played with List A status. Looking forward to it.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I am definitely not a fan of Ngarava' s inclusion. Even me calling for Muzarabani for the proteas test is wrong when I think back. maybe its because we are genuinely lacking options there.

I think a protocol should be followed of at least 1 full domestic season unless you are extremely exceptional. otherwise on average it should take at least 20 games before people can make a fair assessment of your abilities. otherwise it will send the wrong message to guys like Nyauchi or Nathan Waller who have been grinding hard for a while now to get a place.

players need to have faith in the system in an economy like ours otherwise they will all quit like Aliseni because there is no financial security if you aren't in the national team. so playing domestic cricket is a sacrifice for many if you look at the opportunity cost. all they have is the hope that it's a fair process.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Conant wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:29 pm
Andybligzz wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 pm
That's a decent squad there . I don't understand why people are calling for Bruce's inclusion ? When I previously asked if anyone had seen or knew much about him no one could answer me. AnywayI think this squad is very fair except mutizwa , he's very unlucky indeed. Maybe nathan Waller could have been given another run , but hey he didn't really impress previously did he .
White man's myth.
Spot on Conant.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Jaybro that is crap. Conant and Hhm are worlds apart.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Jemisi wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:55 am
Jaybro that is crap. Conant and Hhm are worlds apart.
Look at his response to Andybligzz post

“White man myth”

Had to look twice when I saw it because I just presumed it was Hhm posting it.

He might pull Hhm up on a few things but he’s just as quick to blame the white guys

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I have no problem with these A tours and so on, but I do have a problem with what we do with them. Yes, pick the youngsters and the fringe players. This is how you blood them, but do not play them in certain positions in these matches and then play them in completely different positions in National team matches.

Moor is the wicketkeeper here and he should be trained hard on that role, along with his batting. Come time to slot in for the national team, it is a smooth transition. This should be happening in every position and at every level. It is no point having these matches if we are not using them to bring players in to the national side, and playing them in the same positions.