Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Google weather says its clear the next 3 days. Dont know how accurate that is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

jward
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match Thread : Sri Lanka Tour Of Zimbabwe 2020 | 1st Test | Zimbabwe V/s Sri Lanka | Harare

Post by jward »

eugene wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:25 pm
I know he doesn't set the world a light, but is there a more likeable cricketer than Donald Tiripano? He shows the same grit and determination that we were renowned for in the 1990s.
Yes, he's a really nice guy, so many Zim cricketers are.

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

One cause for optimism...if Lakmal is down to bat at 8 Sri Lanka have the longest tail in world cricket.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Trying to stay interested in this game, but all I keep thinking is no matter how much I try, I’m endorsing the thugs and the corrupt thieves. Not to mention the fact that one of my favourite players has not been selected.
There’s just a feeling of inevitability and sullenness lingering over HSC. I hope the boys keep pushing the Sri Lankan’s hard, but I don’t see much to sing and dance about.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:52 pm
eugene wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:25 pm
I know he doesn't set the world a light, but is there a more likeable cricketer than Donald Tiripano? He shows the same grit and determination that we were renowned for in the 1990s.
Because he is in a post quota world.
Donald and the two openers had to FIGHT to get into the team.

They weren’t gifted spots like the 2005-2011 era +2013/14.

It’s why Kasuza played the warm up tourney in SA and Prince lost weight and changed his game.

Ok the flip, it’s why Matsikenyeri plateaued young and Sibanda never hit the heights.

And why Bavuma and countless South Africans are struggling now!

You need focus, commitment and sheer will.
Some of our guys are discovering this inside them and I am hopeful it’s starting to show.
Definitely merit in this
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 pm
Trying to stay interested in this game, but all I keep thinking is no matter how much I try, I’m endorsing the thugs and the corrupt thieves. Not to mention the fact that one of my favourite players has not been selected.
There’s just a feeling of inevitability and sullenness lingering over HSC. I hope the boys keep pushing the Sri Lankan’s hard, but I don’t see much to sing and dance about.
You're the second person to echo this sentiment and I really don't get it, I understand and agree the people in charge are not doing a good job. BUT for me Test cricket is the best cricket & Zimbabwe rarely play any Tests so for me this is heaven, especially considering the boys are putting up a good show.

The 1st ball is bowled around 7:00pm here in Sydney and I've been staying up till 2:00am then having a couple hours sleep before heading to work, I don't plan on missing a ball of this Test.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:33 am

You're the second person to echo this sentiment and I really don't get it, I understand and agree the people in charge are not doing a good job. BUT for me Test cricket is the best cricket & Zimbabwe rarely play any Tests so for me this is heaven, especially considering the boys are putting up a good show.

The 1st ball is bowled around 7:00pm here in Sydney and I've been staying up till 2:00am then having a couple hours sleep before heading to work, I don't plan on missing a ball of this Test.
It's like sloan says, it endorses those in charge. You only need to look at the lead up to this series. Chamu as captain. Terrible domestic comp. Burl and Moor drama. ZC staff and players not being paid. Playing test cricket, as amazing as it is is, does not mean anything in the long term because it generally a cycle with ZC. They promise big and say the right things, and then we go back to the old crap. When you see how other countries are progressing and moving forward, we are literally going backwards.

Just wanted to touch on Taps point about the run rate. Yes, I agree there are different ways to play the game, but the general consensus is that test cricket is played in stages. You see off the early ball, then you make runs in the middle to put pressure on the bowling team, and then try to bat them out a bit towards the end so you force them to push for runs from their first ball. Whilst the openers did well to see off the new ball and build a strong foundation, I think we should have been on at least 200 by end of day 1. That is the standard. Other teams are scoring 300 plus in one day.

Granted we are not on the same level, but getting to the same level requires you to work in the same way.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Why would one suddenly decide now is the time to boycott watching Zimbabwean cricket. If sound administration was your prerequisite for following Zimbabwean cricket you should have changed the channel about 20 years ago.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:07 am
Why would one suddenly decide now is the time to boycott watching Zimbabwean cricket. If sound administration was your prerequisite for following Zimbabwean cricket you should have changed the channel about 20 years ago.
This was my point !!! I don't think anyone here is actually in support of the current admin, but a home Test where Zimbabwe are actually competitive in is exactly why I go through all the rubbish, ups and downs. If you're not going to enjoy this what's the point of suffering through the rest?

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:02 am

It's like sloan says, it endorses those in charge. You only need to look at the lead up to this series. Chamu as captain. Terrible domestic comp. Burl and Moor drama. ZC staff and players not being paid. Playing test cricket, as amazing as it is is, does not mean anything in the long term because it generally a cycle with ZC. They promise big and say the right things, and then we go back to the old crap. When you see how other countries are progressing and moving forward, we are literally going backwards.
Enjoying the Test match is not an endorsement of the current board or their actions
zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:02 am
Just wanted to touch on Taps point about the run rate. Yes, I agree there are different ways to play the game, but the general consensus is that test cricket is played in stages. You see off the early ball, then you make runs in the middle to put pressure on the bowling team, and then try to bat them out a bit towards the end so you force them to push for runs from their first ball. Whilst the openers did well to see off the new ball and build a strong foundation, I think we should have been on at least 200 by end of day 1. That is the standard. Other teams are scoring 300 plus in one day.

Granted we are not on the same level, but getting to the same level requires you to work in the same way.
I really find it laughable that people are criticising the openers for the failings of the middle order :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prince & Kasuza did their jobs, it was the middle order guys who let the side down, if they batted better Zimbabwe would have scored over 450 and had 10 or so overs at the SL guys at the end.

Remembering poor light has ended both days early, Zimbabwe would have likely been over 200 by stumps on Day 1 if not for poor light.