2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: 2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Post by tawac »

Xlife wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:27 am
jaybro wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:55 am
Just had a look at the 14-day weather forecast for Zimbabwe,

Looks pretty clear of rain, except for one day which is the 24th of June, which of course is the day Zimbabwe plays West Indies .....

A washout in that game wouldn't be the worst thing I reckon as it would likely leave us in the same position as last time out where we entered the Super 6s with 5-points and needing 2 wins to qualify.

Winning two games in the Super 6s would likely leave us on 9 points, and likely facing a NRR face off with the Windies ....

Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here but it's certainly going to be interesting of rain plays a part again.
There is zero chance of a washout. It does not rain at all, let alone heavily, in Zimbabwe in winter so relax...
True rain won't really be a problem. The issue might be on light and day light hours. Someone will have to keep an eye on over rates.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

tawac wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:45 pm
Xlife wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:27 am
jaybro wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:55 am
Just had a look at the 14-day weather forecast for Zimbabwe,

Looks pretty clear of rain, except for one day which is the 24th of June, which of course is the day Zimbabwe plays West Indies .....

A washout in that game wouldn't be the worst thing I reckon as it would likely leave us in the same position as last time out where we entered the Super 6s with 5-points and needing 2 wins to qualify.

Winning two games in the Super 6s would likely leave us on 9 points, and likely facing a NRR face off with the Windies ....

Maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself here but it's certainly going to be interesting of rain plays a part again.
There is zero chance of a washout. It does not rain at all, let alone heavily, in Zimbabwe in winter so relax...
True rain won't really be a problem. The issue might be on light and day light hours. Someone will have to keep an eye on over rates.
Light might be an issue if we have any overcast days but the weather is looking bright for the first week or so.
At least they are starting 15 mins earlier. No idea why we start our normal bilateral ODIs at 9.15am in winter.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Forum is very quiet for the last few days. Is it the calm before the storm!?

It all begins tomorrow folks. Very excited but I know very well how tough this is going to be.

Just go out there and give your best shot boys!!

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Really excited . I just hope toss is not a very big factor in Harare or it will ruin the fun

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

tej_27 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:50 am
Really excited . I just hope toss is not a very big factor in Harare or it will ruin the fun
Mostly it won't be, teams are winning batting first, as long as they play well it shouldn't be an issue. Chasing is still the preferred option I would say but not by much.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:02 pm
tej_27 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:50 am
Mostly it won't be, teams are winning batting first, as long as they play well it shouldn't be an issue. Chasing is still the preferred option I would say but not by much.
Yes .i just hope we win all the tosses though . Espiclally the first game and game against Windies

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

Andy flower is one of the commentators of wc qualifier.

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Marshmallow wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:12 pm
Andy flower is one of the commentators of wc qualifier.
How much commentary work has he done recently?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

West Indies are under the gun here against USA 192/6 (36)

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I wonder if we’re starting to see the first signs of ‘wear & tear’ on the Harare Sports Club centre square?

The pitch for the West Indies game was still pretty good for batting, but for the first time so far this tournament we started to see a more even battle between bat & ball.

I’m not sure if this suits Zimbabwe more if the scores come down & the pitches slow up? We seem to be pretty good at scoring 300+ of late. I think Oman would appreciate a deck that suits their spinners, whilst Sri Lanka will also enjoy those conditions as well.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement