Zimbabwe Vs Netherlands | ICC CWC Qualifier | 20 June 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Netherlands | ICC CWC Qualifier | 20 June 2023

Post by TapsC2 »

A flat deck against the West Indies to me is tricky. If they get going they will score 400 with what I have seen. They will most certainly chase anything too. Netherlands and Nepal didn't punish us when they got going. The West Indians will. If we can get to 300 in 40 overs they will go crazy.

Our best chances is a game where 250 is par. There was a pitch in the series against the Dutch where it had some turn. That's what we need. I think we batted first too in that game.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

2 games in and it's time to get serious about selection , the bowling changes and field placements otherwise the West Indies will make 350 plus runs and this dream batting from the big 3 won't be able to keep getting the side over the line. Chatara out, Evans in and i dont care what he has done over the years, he is clearly not up to it anymore. Wes can drop down to number 7 if he must play . Has no cricket smarts at all . Gumbie doing well considering he's not really a oneday player but you need someone who can occupy the crease. Kaia and Marumani are too hit and miss .

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

mnelson68 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:44 am
2 games in and it's time to get serious about selection , the bowling changes and field placements otherwise the West Indies will make 350 plus runs and this dream batting from the big 3 won't be able to keep getting the side over the line. Chatara out, Evans in and i dont care what he has done over the years, he is clearly not up to it anymore. Wes can drop down to number 7 if he must play . Has no cricket smarts at all . Gumbie doing well considering he's not really a oneday player but you need someone who can occupy the crease. Kaia and Marumani are too hit and miss .
Well you've ruled out half the batting options there
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I didn't expect us to win that comfortably. If we can tidy up the bowling and fielding, we should be good. We can't be as bad against a WI or Sri Lanka. We really need to tidy that up.

Wes and Joylord just need to focus on playing proper cricket shots. They have the talent, but are trying to way too much. They really need to go back to basics. Wes has had way too many opportunities, but he is not turning that talent into results as he should.

If we can have a proper bowling attack too, that would be great. Other than that, things are looking good so far. Even with a 1/4 crowd, we still produce a quality atmosphere.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I'm actually expecting a more outrageous change than them dropping Wes. Watch them drop Madande for Kaia and push every batsman one position down starting with Ervine. Unfortunately Madande's keeping has made him a potential victim of a change. The justification for this would be to protect Craig as well in the first 10 against Joseph and co. Nothing is ever straight forward with ZC selections for a whole tournament.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:13 am
I'm actually expecting a more outrageous change than them dropping Wes. Watch them drop Madande for Kaia and push every batsman one position down starting with Ervine. Unfortunately Madande's keeping has made him a potential victim of a change. The justification for this would be to protect Craig as well in the first 10 against Joseph and co. Nothing is ever straight forward with ZC selections for a whole tournament.
I think burdening Gumbie with the gloves would be arguably the single worst thing we can do at this point. Let him bat!

Madande isn’t great behind the stumps but it is what it is .

I’d still bring Kaia in for Wes but I don’t think they will. Only change will be Jongwe in for Chats I reckon

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

We need our senior guys to stay fit.
Something they have a long history of not doing
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:53 am
We need our senior guys to stay fit.
Something they have a long history of not doing
Its a good thing the next game is on Saturday. That will give the fellas a few days to recuperate. Yesterday was one hell of a run chase with the senior guys doing most of the heavy lifting. The tournament is thick and fast but loving the way the team is looking fit. No major scares for now.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:45 am
I didn't expect us to win that comfortably. If we can tidy up the bowling and fielding, we should be good. We can't be as bad against a WI or Sri Lanka. We really need to tidy that up.

Wes and Joylord just need to focus on playing proper cricket shots. They have the talent, but are trying to way too much. They really need to go back to basics. Wes has had way too many opportunities, but he is not turning that talent into results as he should.

If we can have a proper bowling attack too, that would be great. Other than that, things are looking good so far. Even with a 1/4 crowd, we still produce a quality atmosphere.
wes needs to be dropped. i`m a huge supporter but this has been running for far too long. If anything he needs to be pushed down to 5/6

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:13 am
I feel like you may be right. Wes is the golden child. I don't see him being dropped sitting well with certain higher ups. Madande was pretty bad behind the stumps on some balls, but those things were things that could be easy fixed. Perfect time for him to have chats with Flower.

Wes needs to focus on his batting. Right now it's not working and it's a liability. We can't have him bowl and bat. He's a batter and a talented one too. That needs to be his game. If he can't get it right, he needs time to fix it