[Simulation 1]: Draft 2 | World ODI Teams (2010-present)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: [Simulation 1]: Draft 2 | World ODI Teams (2010-present)

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:18 pm
jaybro wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:55 am
You can make yourself chairman and founder of his fan club; I’m sure there won’t be many others fighting you for it.

I’ll stick to the statistically inferior Dale Steyn & Kagiso Rabada
Man, you seem kind of bitter. Did Clint McKay steal from your family or something?
Yeah mate Clint McKay fleeced my family of all our pennies 🤦🏽‍♂️
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:11 am
eugene wrote:
jaybro wrote:
You can make yourself chairman and founder of his fan club; I’m sure there won’t be many others fighting you for it.

Man, you seem kind of bitter. Did Clint McKay steal from your family or something?
Ah! the Aussie version of Dumisani Mankunzini...

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

To explain a little how the alternative simulation works: I take the actual runs, wickets, economy and strikes rates from the two random innings provided by Kriterion and turn these into a single 50 over match:

Team totals:

First I establish how many balls each batsman faced for his runs and add these up until 600 balls are reached (two 50-over innings). In most cases this means that the tail doesn't get to bat (although there have been occasions where sides did not make full use of their overs) and a lower middle order batsman will be not out, i.e. he has less balls remaining than he faced in his two random innings: His runs are calculated by multiplying balls remaining with his SR. All the runs are then added up and divided by two -- let's say this gives Team A a batting score of 250.

Now I take a look at Team B's corresponding bowling figures: I tally up runs conceded, divide the number by overs faced and so get a provisional run rate, let's say 6.2. Next, wickets are taken into account: First the number of wickets has to be adjusted to 50 overs. I consider five wickets as a 'normal' bowling performance without much impact on the run rate, but subtract one decimal point each for wickets 6, 7 and 8; two decimal points each for wickets 9 and 10, and another 0.3 for each extra wicket[1]--the more wickets your bowlers take the higher the impact on the opposition's batting (should less wickets than five have been taken I will likewise add decimal points to the run rate) -- in our example Team B has taken 7 wickets, so the adjusted run rate is 6, i.e. 300 runs conceded (assuming Team A batted the full 50 overs).

Team A's batting total is hence (250+300):2 = 275

[1] I should add that this formular was not in place for the first match between eugene & jaybro

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

jaybro wrote:
eugene wrote:
jaybro wrote:

Well at least you have a wooden spoon that could fetch a few pennies.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

eugene wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:20 pm
jaybro wrote:
eugene wrote:

Well at least you have a wooden spoon that could fetch a few pennies.
If only I had chosen Clint McKay things might have been different
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Let's see if Clint can get me further in the tournament. I have a challenging road ahead.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

It seems the heavens opened after my innings yesterday. Fortunately the organisers have scheduled an extra day for each match.

The trophy for unluckiest General Manager so far has to go to Zimbos_05: Even if one doesn't rate Trott, what are the chances that his batting line-up, despite the longest tail in the competition, gets bowled out twice for 137 (they scored 274 runs combined in their two random innings) in 26-odd overs? (His simulation batting total later improved because brmtaylor.com's bowlers had leaked a lot more runs.) If ever a batting line-up choked under the pressure of a knock-out it was his.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

foreignfield wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:57 am
It seems the heavens opened after my innings yesterday. Fortunately the organisers have scheduled an extra day for each match.

The trophy for unluckiest General Manager so far has to go to Zimbos_05: Even if one doesn't rate Trott, what are the chances that his batting line-up, despite the longest tail in the competition, gets bowled out twice for 137 (they scored 274 runs combined in their two random innings) in 26-odd overs? (His simulation batting total later improved because brmtaylor.com's bowlers had leaked a lot more runs.) If ever a batting line-up choked under the pressure of a knock-out it was his.
I've already decided that all of your maths simulations are bogus.

Maths is silly any way.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:18 am
I've already decided that all of your maths simulations are bogus.

Maths is silly any way.
:lol:

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

It's a game, and games are per se silly.

No need to take things too seriously. Even Bobby Mpofu could have a better day occasionally (and probably against the Dutch or Irish) than Dale Steyn against Australia :)