Aurelia

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Aurelia

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Has anyone here got any of Henry Olonga's songs? I recently got a copy of his album Aurelia after having downloaded a few tracks off iTunes, and he's very good. My favourite tracks are My Heart and Together Forever, probably because they are both very upbeat :)

Apparently his song "Our Zimbabwe" was #1 in Zimbabwe a while back, although I don't know too much about it. There's not a lot of information about that particular song online.

I wrote an article about Aurelia if anyone is interested: http://www.brmtaylor.com/news-47.html :)
Forced into exile, Henry Olonga has tried his hand at commentating, but his true passion lies with music. As a tenor, he has performed at high profile events such as the Harare Festival of the Arts and Traquir Fair in Scotland. He won the UK talent show "The All Star Talent Show" with 50% of the total votes, and released a single, "Our Zimbabwe" which topped the Zimbabwean charts.

In 2006, the same year he won "The All Star Talent Show", Olonga released his first album; Aurelia. Latin for chrysalis, Aurelia is the "transformation of a caterpillar to a butterfly". The sleeve notes symbolise this, showing caterpillars on the beginning pages and a colourful butterfly on the back page. Whether this is a representation of his cricket career, his blossoming music career or even his life is up for debate. Perhaps it is a little of each.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Aurelia

Post by maehara »

Back when the government was looking for a replacement for Ishi Komborera Afrika as national anthem (darn you, South Africa!), Our Zimbabwe was one of the songs that was considered - and from what I hear, if it had been down to a public vote, it would have won comfortably. But it wasn't, and the rest is history...