Series thread - MTN Domestic Championship

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Series thread - MTN Domestic Championship

Post by Train Driver »

Does anyone know the status of Christopher Mpofu ?. He was unable to complete his overs in the Eagles match on 13th february and has not been selected since. I suppose that with Chigumbura out at the moment, having 3 non batting seamers in Mupariwa, Brent and Mpofu would weaken the batting line up too much.

I think, now that the semi final hopes have gone, Rainsford should be given a bowl in at least the final game and, with the very poor batting returns from Taylor and Sibanda, Chakabva should bat at 3 or 4 to see if he can build an innings.

Yesterday was a very poor display, let's hope for much better today.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

If anyone wants to see some action shots of the game, I put some on the site: http://www.brmtaylor.com/news-53.html

I watched most of the match last night, needless to say it was quite disappointing. A few things I noted down, how good is the Warriors bowler Tsosobe?!? He's quick and accurate, and I'd hazard a guess that he is quicker than Chigumbura. Why can South Africa produce such good bowlers for their domestic competition yet we can't for our national team, let alone domestically?

Masakadza looked simply amazing. Such a fantastic series he is having. The six he hit literally went out of the ground... over the roof and they had to bring our a set of new balls. Great to watch. Shame he didn't get a century, he deserved it.

The other batsmen were shocking. Sibanda, Utseya and Taylor with 16, 13 and 12 were our next highest scorers. That's not on, they 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest scorers should have 50's, 40's and 30's. Zimbabwe don't score enough runs, it's as simple as that. We have no problem getting the singles, but we don't make the fielders work. We need to score more 2's and 3's, not to mention 4's. Taylor and Masakadza have no problem taking the aerial route, so perhaps they should be the new openers. Vusi is in bad form, maybe he needs a rest. Taylor is in pretty ordinary form too, but I don't think he is batting in the right position. Taibu is at 2 and Taylor at 4, a straight swap should do fine.

With Williams out, I think Chibhabha should be the automatic choice for number 3. He's good, just not as good as Williams. A more than suitable backup for #3 I think.

I didn't see a lot of our bowling, but I caught the last half hour or so, and Timycen Maruma looks really good. He flights the ball well, and got some really good leg spin. Beat the bat a few times in the few overs I saw of him. Price looked pretty classy too, but then again he always bowls well with a really classy action.

With semi finals now impossible (as far as I can see), might as well rest the stars and play the young kids. So Taibu, Taylor, Masakadza, Price, Utseya to all be rested. Bring Mawoyo into the squad, and play a line up to look like this: Sibanda, Mawoyo, Chibhabha, Chakabva, Matsikenyeri, Dabengwa, Cremer, Maruma, Brent, Mupariwa, Muzarabani

That's what I'd do, maybe give Rainsford a gig as well.

Disappointing series overall, time to focus on the Pro20 tournament I suppose. It would be good if Zimbabwe could play a Twenty20 or two against Zimbabwe Provinces or Gauteng or some other team ahead of it, just to get back in the groove.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Thanks for the photos, nice to be able to see something of the players for a change :!:

I guess that there won't be many changes today as the same squad has probably moved on to Paarl, but I certainly agree that there should be quite a few for sunday, an added benefit is that the players who are rested could stand in the crowd and try to win that 3000 Rand :lol:

I like the idea of giving Mawoyo a game, he is probably the 'best of the rest' batsman and should be exposed to a better class of bowling in case he is needed as an injury back up at some time. As far as Taylor is concerned I think maybe he should be continued with for the last 2 games but, as you say, opening rather than down the order. Chakabva is a great find as he can also keep wicket should Taibu and Taylor be rested.

Over the Pakistan and MTN series, Zim have shown that the batsmen are beginning to find confidence and form, it's just that they seem to do it individually rather than all together, the bowlers are a different matter and a strike bowler is the obvious requirement. Mupariwa seems to be growing in confidence and Chigumbura could be the man of the future but a man who can chuck the ball down and intimidate batsmen is top of the christmas present list.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Game under way with just one change, Chakabva in for Sibanda. Zim won the toss and have decided to bowl first.

I'm off to work shortly so hope to get home and find a much better result than yesterdays :roll:

zulu

Post by zulu »

wow what a good bowling performance from zim restricting cobras to 174-8 very tight bowling from the spinners Price getting 3-23 from his allotted 9 overs brilliant! lets hope the batting can hold up and score the runs needed.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Zimbabwe 16-2!!!!!

Think we are a batsman short again as well!!! After the batsman in so far Taylor/Chibhabha only Matsikenyeri and the unproven chakabva to come out of the established batsmen

aydee

Post by aydee »

Good victory, and a fantastic innings under pressure by Chakabva! Man to watch...

andy24
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by andy24 »

good win. great work by chakbva.

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

Fantastic play by Chakabva. I am sure he will be proud of what he done for the team. Much props to Price for the wickets. If we can maintain and keep winning, that would be good.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Great work by Chakabva!! Also good to see Taylor get a good score. Awesome work by the spinners.

Great win 8-)