Zimbabwe's IPL players

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Zimbabwe's IPL players

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Tatenda Taibu has signed up for the IPL competition.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=comp ... omparetype

You would think Brendan Taylor and Vusi Sibanda (and Chigumbura and Brent of the bowlers) would be the first to sign up if it was based on merit in this form of the game, but I think IPL is hellbent on getting the big name players, thus they made a beeline for Taibu :)

Are there any other current or former Zimbabwe internationals in the IPL?

At least there is one Zimbabwean (so far) in the IPL :)

andy24
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Zimbabwe's IPL players

Post by andy24 »

its good to c that we can watch some games for all australian viewers. i agree taylor williams and chigumbura should atleast be getting looked at to play for a franchise

this doesnt have anything to do with the ipl. but one of my mates played a game against a former zimbabwe test player. he couldnt get a name but aprently he smashed em. interesting to c threre are players around

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Taibu got no bids. He's now placed in a reserve pool (ie. the leftovers, who can be picked at the end).
Surprisingly, Glenn McGrath was also placed in the reserve pool after receiving no bids (or perhaps not getting beyond the reserve price, not too sure about the IPL process).

For Taibu's sake I hope someone picks him up.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Tatenda Taibu has been bought by the Kolkata team for US$125,000. Good for him. But with Brendon McCullum also in the side, he would struggle to get a game.

aydee

Post by aydee »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:Tatenda Taibu has been bought by the Kolkata team for US$125,000. Good for him. But with Brendon McCullum also in the side, he would struggle to get a game.
Especially as each team is only allowed a maximum of 4 overseas players. I doubt he'll actually play to be honest. Shame, because one of the sides didn't get an overseas keeper...

zulu

Post by zulu »

$125 000 that is a hell of alot of money im sure taibu will be happy even if he doesnt play as long as hes got the $$$ lol

jimbo

Taibu and the IPL

Post by jimbo »

I dont profess to know much about the IPL and its duration but does taibu signing for the IPL mean he will be out of action for some time. Does the IPL season start now? When will taibu be back?

So many questions so little time

Merged into the Zimbabweans in the IPL thread
-brmtaylor.com admin
Last edited by brmtaylor.com admin on Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge topics

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

His Kolkata based franchise team is yet to be named, i heared its owned by Sha Rukh Khan 's company and someone (forgot the name)

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

From Cricinfo:
The newspaper also reported Luke Ronchi, the Western Australia wicketkeeper, is considering an A$100,000 (approx US$92,000) offer to join the Mumbai franchise, while his team-mate Luke Pomersbach, who earned a car park call-up to play a Twenty20 international for Australia, is also set to join an IPL team. The Mumbai franchise failed to buy a wicketkeeper-batsman at the auction held on Wednesday.
I wonder if Brendan Taylor is an outside chance to join Mumbai. Taylor and Ronchi are quite similar batsmen, both very attacking although Ronchi can perhaps be more damaging once he has played himself in (he made 100 from 60 balls in a domestic one day match a while ago). On the flipside, Ronchi's agressiveness sometimes leads to his downfall within the first few balls of his innings, whereas Taylor normally likes to get settled before going for the big shots. Taylor's advantage would be that he has played international cricket for about 5 years now, Ronchi hasn't broken in to the Australian team yet.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

The thing I find rather confusing about all this IPL stuff is what happens to the National sides during the competition ?.

Unless I have missed something, Zim are supposed to be playing a Test and ODI series against India in May. While the unavailability of Taibu would be a loss to Zim, but not a disaster to lose one man, surely the entire India squad must be unavailable while the IPL is being played.

Has the India series been cancelled ?

Will the Indians commute to Zim every few days to play between IPL games and get bonus frequent flyer points ?

Will India send a 15thXI squad to play if the series goes ahead ?

Am I stupid and have missed the obvious answer ? :roll: