Bit of a storm about Riki Wessels

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Bit of a storm about Riki Wessels

Post by zimfan1 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A59745856

Looks like there is a bit an cloud hanging over his appearance for the Rhinos as looks like by playing for the Rhinos he will not be able to qualify for England and therfore not be able to play for Northamptonshire any more.

Says he will be there till march which is good news as it will be good for the young batsman to have a quailty player around.

alan132

Re: Bit of a storm about Riki Wessels

Post by alan132 »

This forum is shocking. Everyone seems to be slagging each other off and the english is virtually incomprehensible. Just proves how great our forum is :D

shumbat

Post by shumbat »

does RIki qualify to play for Zim if he is tempted ?

CyberShot

Post by CyberShot »

I think most of these guy don't respect Zim cricket and I am going to respect Riki coz he saw something good in our new system as all the guys coming back thank u Riki u are goin to add value to Zim cricket

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

LOL :D

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

shumbat wrote:does RIki qualify to play for Zim if he is tempted ?
Born in Australia, hasn't yet been selected for any national side. So:
Yes, by playing in Zimbabwe he's broken his qualifying period for England. But, to qualify play for Zim he'd have to complete a 4-year qualifying period in our domestic leagues - which he'd break if he went to play in England during Zim's off-season. If I remember correctly, ICC qualification rules don't have any requirements about nationality - just residence.

Tough call for him. It may be he's decided he doesn't have a realistic chance of England selection and decided to throw his lot in with Zim, but given the nature of Zimbabwean cricket, that 4-year qualifying period is a looong time.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Tough call for Riki but what a player. He surely has some quality about him. I like him. He would make a great addition to the Zim Team with our current batting woos. His a young bloke lets hope he hangs around.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

shumbat

Post by shumbat »

thanks for the info Maehara, 4 year period is a long time, Zim needs patching up now if we are looking at a 2 - 3 year period to return to test cricket, but at least he adds value to our domestic cricket which is a plus.

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

maehara wrote:
shumbat wrote:does RIki qualify to play for Zim if he is tempted ?
Born in Australia, hasn't yet been selected for any national side. So:
Yes, by playing in Zimbabwe he's broken his qualifying period for England. But, to qualify play for Zim he'd have to complete a 4-year qualifying period in our domestic leagues - which he'd break if he went to play in England during Zim's off-season. If I remember correctly, ICC qualification rules don't have any requirements about nationality - just residence.

Tough call for him. It may be he's decided he doesn't have a realistic chance of England selection and decided to throw his lot in with Zim, but given the nature of Zimbabwean cricket, that 4-year qualifying period is a looong time.

So does that mean that Greg Lamb has to play for 4 morew years in Zim before he is eligible for selection to the national side? He has been in England for a number of years.....

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Greg Lamb was born in Zimbabwe unlike Riki Wessels so he doesn't have to meet such requirements.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes