Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
aydee

Re: Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Post by aydee »

A photo gallery from the Ireland vs Zim game. Quite a few ugly bowling actions on display from Zim, it must be said. Although Kyle Jarvis looked like he was wacking it down at a fair pace...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

eugene wrote:I would be surprised to see Landman or Jarvis get a call up anytime soon. The current quota of white players allowed in Zimbabwe cricket is already filled by Taylor, Brent, Price, and Williams.

This whole under-19 tournament team has been a farce. The team has mostly been picked on racial grounds as opposed to actual ability. If this is the future of Zimbabwe cricket it is a disgrace. It seems if you are black and play for Takashinga you will eventually get called up to one of the national rep teams regardless of form/ability.
Besides the 4 you mentioned though, which white players actually deserve to be in the 1st XI?

I think Graeme Cremer has a very strong case, I think he should be in the Test team due to the experience factor. Ed Rainsford too, we need a bit of fire in the bowling.

Terry Duffin, Greg Strydom, Ryan Butterworth, Keegan Meth are the only other names that really spring to mind, but they need to come through the SAA games and Zimbabwe A matches, they aren't good enough for the national team at the moment. Coventry has disappeared off the radar.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Ryan Butterworth is certainly an example of a talented white player who hasnt been given a fair run. He was good enough to make provincial sides before the player exodus. Yet he is chosen for one match and then dropped. Whereas players like Dabengwa are given far more opportunities.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Besides the 4 you mentioned though, which white players actually deserve to be in the 1st XI?

I think Graeme Cremer has a very strong case, I think he should be in the Test team due to the experience factor. Ed Rainsford too, we need a bit of fire in the bowling.

Terry Duffin, Greg Strydom, Ryan Butterworth, Keegan Meth are the only other names that really spring to mind, but they need to come through the SAA games and Zimbabwe A matches, they aren't good enough for the national team at the moment. Coventry has disappeared off the radar.
Yes, these are the only ones on the radar at the moment, but the problem lies deeper down. We really don't know how many players realized that they would never be allowed to get into that radar because of the quota system and quietly left the scene. The names you have mentioned are the ones who stayed back with some hope.

With quota policy in place, the quiet exodus would only continue. We may never hear of a Landman or a Jarvis after a year or two. Those who perform at the schools level might catch some eyes and might leave the scene for better prospects. The far reaching effects of the quota system is beyond what a naked eye can see.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Besides the 4 you mentioned though, which white players actually deserve to be in the 1st XI?

Yes, these are the only ones on the radar at the moment, but the problem lies deeper down. We really don't know how many players realized that they would never be allowed to get into that radar because of the quota system and quietly left the scene. The names you have mentioned are the ones who stayed back with some hope.

With quota policy in place, the quiet exodus would only continue. We may never hear of a Landman or a Jarvis after a year or two. Those who perform at the schools level might catch some eyes and might leave the scene for better prospects. The far reaching effects of the quota system is beyond what a naked eye can see.
The quota system has to go, it has killed the quality of cricket in Zimbabwe. Instead of fast tracking black players, a wiser move would be to expand the game into more schools, expand the game into rural areas and provide good quality coaching for the kids. If you expand the player base, then that will automatically produce more black cricketers, without the need of fast tracking. You'd think with the millions of dollars ZC are getting, this would not be a problem.

I would be surprised myself if Kyle Jarvis never plays for Zimbabwe (assuming he goes through the system, ie. Logan Cup, Zimbabwe A, etc and doesn't give up on cricket). You can tell that the selectors are looking for that extra fast bowler - at the moment they are using Muzarabani, and in the SAA games of late they have been using Ed Rainsford. Jarvis will slot into the team at some point over the next 3 or 4 years. I just hope he is as fast as he is made out to be by Cricinfo, etc.

aydee

Post by aydee »

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/scripts/n ... umID=27203

There's that album. Didn't actually post the link earlier...

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Ryan Ervine might be, but I can't say for sure.
He's jumped ship to Ireland, where he's been appointed assistant coach at Northern Cricket Union side Carrickfergus:
Old Hararians batsman and Level 1 coaching badge holder Ryan Ervine has joined Irish NCU Premier League side Carrickfegus for the 2008 season.

The 19-year-old, young brother to former national team player Sean Ervine, is yet to make his mark on the national stage despite stitching together some impressive performances on the domestic scene.

"A superb all-rounder who can do the job with both bat and ball. As an opening bowler he has an uncanny accuracy, and as a batsman he has scored many centuries," says Zimbabwe international batsman Brendan Taylor of the young Ervine.

And Carrickfegus are over the moon with the landing of Ervine whom they have since appointed as an assistant coach.

"The club is also delighted to announce that we have secured the services of 19-year-old Zimbabwean all-rounder, Ryan Ervine, for the 2008 season.

"Ryan, youngest brother of Zimbabwean international star, Sean, is Irish-qualified and will be hoping to impress Irish selectors during his time with Carrickfergus in the NCU Premier League. Ryan will work alongside Colin (Birch) as the club's assistant professional/coach in the coming season," said the club.
Interesting bit there is that he's Irish-qualified already - must be some family connections there. Obviously, if he'd played for Zim U19 he would have had to complete a qualifying period regardless.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

We've come a long way since these days, haven't we men?
God that was a poor squad. Only Jarvis made anything of himself from this group. Moor to a lesser degree in test cricket. The rest of the players just seeped through those familiar ZC cracks. At least the current age group have something about them

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

sloandog wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:02 am
We've come a long way since these days, haven't we men?
God that was a poor squad. Only Jarvis made anything of himself from this group. Moor to a lesser degree in test cricket. The rest of the players just seeped through those familiar ZC cracks. At least the current age group have something about them
At least we don't have a hard/strict racial quota as such anymore.

But many of the same issues back then, are still issues now.

And still losing to Ireland!!!

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

zimdan wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:41 pm
eugene wrote:Sounds like the usual discimination against white players. Why doesnt ZC just come out and say that they dont want any white cricketers in the national teams. At least then they would be acting honestly for a change.
Well this is a sticking point, because im white in Zimbabwe, and in the norm i am treated no different to any black person, however the same cannot be said for sporting teams. Here in Bulawayo, whites play cricket together, and blacks play cricket together, but rarely do you see a mixed game of random cricket. In harare a mixed game is much more common, but on the most part the whites are better at the game. No disrespect to the black players because some of them are really good, but overall there are more talented white players than black.

What it comes down to though are two points, does Zimbabwe want a quota system, or field the best possible sporting team? We are lucky to have two world class athletes still willing to hold the zimbabwean flag with pride, both Kirsty Coventry and Cara black are symbols of zimbabwean loyalty. In time the black sports persons of Zimbabwe will be on par with the whites, providing they are given the same backing(the main reason why they arent as good on average).

We should understand the reasoning for a quota system, to give the black population an equal opportunity, i fully agree with this, but when they havnt had the proper backing to fulfil their full potential then why force them into something they arent ready for. Lets take the land reform for example. Our economy was flouishing under white owned farms, i was able to go to town everyday and buy fresh grocery, but reforming the land to persons who didnt have a farming backing just put the cycle into reverse. The same can be said for cricket before i go too off topic. Rhodesia was a cricket nation through and through, brought upon by the colonies, the popuation played the game, and even the native africans also. We saw the once top ranked test batsman of Andy Flower proudly raise his bat for Zimbabwe on a number of occasions, and we saw the best black cricketers coming through the ranks to genuinly earn their place. Both Mbangwa and Olonga were both top bowlers, showing that it wasnt only the white players who could become world beaters. This infact set the trend for the black population that they too could play cricket at the highest level. Im sure this notion brang alot of black cricketers started to rise up the ladder and become national players themselves.

Moving onto the thread topic and what i quoted at the start. These colleges are remarkably still segrigated by colour, when really they shouldnt be. Everyone should be equal, and players should be chosen on merit, not colour. This u19 squad in Malaysia, from what i have seen and heard is a farce....the reason? The politics behind Zimbabwe cricket. Id put my monthly wage on that team out there being no where near the strongest u19 team we have, yet we are faced with even more humiliation, this time on a cricket pitch, rather than in a house of parliment.

This is my personal insight to my thoughts and knowledge of Zimbabwe today. It is not meant to be an insult to anyone either.
Wow! great post, wonder where he is now.