Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote: anything other than a total annihilation of Nepal is less than acceptable IMO.
At senior level, yes - Nepal have very little in the way of senior domestic structures, which is probably a large part of why their U19s never go on to better things. At this level, though, they've always been very competitive. For a little bit of historical perspective, here's the result from when the two sides met during the group stage of the 2006 competition (remember, this is the Sean Williams-led side, acknowledged to be much stronger than this year's side):

Zimbabwe 201 (49.5 ovrs), Nepal 199/5 (50 ovrs). Zimbabwe U19 win by 2 runs.

In the past they've beaten Bangladesh, Kenya, New Zealand, Pakistan, and South Africa (twice). Against Full Member nations they've played 14, won 5 - which for a lowly associate isn't bad at all. I wouldn't underestimate them...

(Their 2002 meeting may be more what you're expecting, and includes a few familiar names.)

Utseyalitharan

Post by Utseyalitharan »

oh fa sho!' Nepal are no push overs in under 19 cricket...i was actually happy we played against two of the best under 19 teams in our warm ups. After the humiliation against Australia i think Nepal went into the match against Zim thinking they were in with a chance {of which they had} its good to see the young ones picking themselves up like they did. Its alwez difficult to come back from a 10 wicket defeat to winning a game against any team so i give credit to the yungsters for showing such great character...we needed this win to get a good kick start to the tornament. More like what England did after the 10 wicket loss just recently hi hi

zulu

Post by zulu »

good result for zim nepal are definatly a decent side. im impressed with zims captain Prince Masuvare he looks like a very talenterd player he had a couple of good logan cup games and played very well in the nepal zim match... definatly an allrounder for the future!

andy24

Post by andy24 »

good efort to keep NZ to 221 lets hope they can chase them down

baiju029

Post by baiju029 »

ya i dont know the standard of nz under 19 team...........any way 221 is achievable i think

But more iam impressed wiith the zim captain masvaure...........an all rounder ..........i hope he make to the national side soon .............i expect him to be a player of the caliber of Elton Chingumbura who is a rare gem in the zim cricket team now :D :D :D

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Zim currently on 20/5 - miracle required here, or this is going to be another hammering...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Hmm, last time I looked it was 4/7. Good recovery effort to make it to 5/20!

How embarrassing.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

63/5 now with Mire and Landman showing some backbone. Scoring rate's far too low to save the match, though - Zim are losing this one, it's just a matter of by how much...

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Not the ideal outcome obviously but not a bad defeat as such.

Only one New Zealand batsman actually got a decent score, take his runs out and they would only have made 139. Good bowling figures from Masvaure 10-1-37-3 and Landman 10-0-42-2, Chitongo only conceded 42 from his 10 and Ncube 7-2-11-1, why did he not bowl his full 10 ??, the only dodgy part was conceding 19 wides.

You are not likely to recover from 14-5 after 15 overs so Landman, Mire and Chitongo are to be congratulated for their fight back, and don't forget that Southee has played in 20/20 internationals for NZ.