Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Utseyalitharan

Re: Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Post by Utseyalitharan »

Thats an embarassing start for the lads, but anything can happen in under 19 matches. There is so much inconsistency that on a bad day a team can get humiliated and still come up with a good effort to win the next game. Lets hope its the same thing with our yungstars although i have a feeling that this is by far the worst team we have sent to the world cup, but who know they could just pull themselves up.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Utseyalitharan wrote:Thats an embarassing start for the lads, but anything can happen in under 19 matches. There is so much inconsistency that on a bad day a team can get humiliated and still come up with a good effort to win the next game. Lets hope its the same thing with our yungstars although i have a feeling that this is by far the worst team we have sent to the world cup, but who know they could just pull themselves up.
Agree, this team is no match for the U19's team led by Sean Williams. But we must remember, it is only U19's and the results don't reflect national results (eg. Australia haven't been dominating U19's for the past decade).

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Zim U19 (7/206, Chimbambo 49*, Khadka 4/39) def. Nep U19 (8/203, Malla 85, Masvaure 3/32)

3 wickets and 2 overs remaining, against Nepal is too close for comfort. 20 years ago, it would have looked something like ZIM U19 (0/206, A. Flower 103*, G. Flower 103*) :x

The one positive thing to come from this game is the fielding. Really, Nepal should have been bundled out for 30, but lets face it, the national team has enough problems in the bowling department so it is no surprise the U19's aren't too flash either. Masvaure took 3/32 and Gaisford took 6 catches (and may well have been involved in the two run outs).

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

Not really BRMTaylor, nepal are a very good side at u19 level winning the plate a few years ago and aways finish in the top places.

We have done very wel to beat then

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Have to agree with Zimdan on this one - Nepal are perennial over-achievers at U19 level - for some reason they've never been able to get the same sort of performances at senior level, but for this competition they're always one of the sides to watch.

Also means we at least go into to the tourney proper with a win under our belts...

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

Bring on Malaysia and New Zealand, i have a god feeling we will crash those 2. Pakistan will leave it till the day and see.

Utseyalitharan

Post by Utseyalitharan »

Zimbabwe U/19 beat Nepal U/19 by 3 wickets
15th warm-up match, ICC U/19 World Cup 2008
February 14, 2008, Royal Military College, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Good all round perfomance from the captain.

P.Masvaure 10 3Wkts 32runs he also scored 33 runs

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

maehara wrote:Have to agree with Zimdan on this one - Nepal are perennial over-achievers at U19 level - for some reason they've never been able to get the same sort of performances at senior level, but for this competition they're always one of the sides to watch.

Also means we at least go into to the tourney proper with a win under our belts...
Yes, but Zimbabwe are a full member, Nepal are... affiliate? If nothing else, Zimbabwe should have the cricket infrastructure to ensure kids coming through the system are trained and coached properly. I can't imagine Nepal coming close to matching Zimbabwe's cricket infrastructure (let alone South Africa's or Australia's for instance), thus, anything other than a total annihilation of Nepal is less than acceptable IMO.

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

Interview with the captain Prince Masvaure

http://iccevents.yahoo.com/audio/mp3/14 ... ure_ex.mp3

Utseyalitharan

Post by Utseyalitharan »

score board link....

http://iccevents.yahoo.com/matchesandsc ... p1402.html

its good we chased down a good target...at least all our batsmen got a feel of the ball