Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Series Thread: U19 World Cup

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

maehara wrote:Zimbabwe U19 57 (28.3 overs; Mashonganyika 12, Hazelwood 3/17), Australia U19 60/0 (7.2 overs; Hughes 40*, Sarna 12*). Australia U19 win by 10 wickets.

Scorecard. Ouch.
Red herring, they are just losing by large margins so they can take the other opponents by surprise during the real tournament.

tlse

Post by tlse »

What a shame! 57 runs all out. Who is the assistant coach ? Hilton Toro who average 5,75 runs in 4 matchs and Makunura played only 5 first class matchs. What about Alistair campbell, The Rennie and the whittall brothers or Bryan strang and Dirk viljoen. all these players played in some World cup . and knows the high levels of cricket. Toro, poor fellow doesn't know international cricket . Some player in the team are surely better than him.Kyle Jarvis who his coached by his father from his childhood must be laughing.
Who are the selectors? May be some peoples who never plays cricket for sure. No matthew Williams, Dylan higgins brother of ryan, craig Dollar all plays club cricket. No Corey Van Rensburg may be the future star and the next Andy flower from falcon college and no gary balance who play county cricket. He was playing whith Peterhouse a few week before in south africa.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

I don't think anything will be seen of Gary Ballance again. At the end of the English season he left Derbyshire and joined Yorkshire under their Academy scheme, I believe he is committed to qualifying as an English player.

aydee

Post by aydee »

That is embarrasing to be honest. Looks like Zim are only there to avoid humiliation this time around...

tlse

Post by tlse »

yes sure but he was playing with peterhouse college last month and I think he can qualify as an english player but play for the under 19 for zimbabwe

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

tlse wrote:yes sure but he was playing with peterhouse college last month and I think he can qualify as an english player but play for the under 19 for zimbabwe
IIRC playing for an age group causes problems for eligibility. I think Colin de Grandhomme is an example of this.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

tlse wrote:yes sure but he was playing with peterhouse college last month and I think he can qualify as an english player but play for the under 19 for zimbabwe
Nope - according to the ICC's Player Eligibility rules...
The player must not have represented another ICC Member at Under 19 level or above - in an ICC sanctioned match (e.g. in a Test match, ODI, ICC Global or Regional event) - in the immediately preceding four years (at under 19 level or above).

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

This is so embarassing!!

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

I notice from the CricInfo scorecard that Zim played 13 men in this match (separate XI's for fielding and batting) - Aus fielded 11. So even with a 2-man advantage, we couldn't put up a fight... :evil:

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Certainly an embarrasing start for Zimbabwe. The choice of coaches and players seems a bit mystifying. The coaches are failed domestic level players so I have no idea what of value they can offer the players. Also many god young players seem to have been overlooked e.g. van Rensburg.

Let's hope the boys put up a better showing once the tournament starts.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes