nathan waller why is he a forgotten man

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: nathan waller why is he a forgotten man

Post by Googly »

Fairly certain Dippaz will be back if they give him a chance to play some franchise. I will be interested to see how he goes, I never thought he was a particularly good bat but he's made some runs in the UK, and he's a pretty good swing bowler. I don't think he's the world class all rounder people are pumping him up to be, he's a good bowler if it's hooping. Alec Taylor was a really decent bowler, as good as anyone in our system. Pricey bowls a decent heavy ball. They're good players but Ryan is the one with real ability. I'm sure he's not completely lost either. He was the best keeper in the World Cup, that's no brag, just fact. He needs a bit more belief in his batting, which is very good.

Flakeman

Post by Flakeman »

Yea dont think Dips is anywhere near ready for int cricket. He is good, no question about it. Has the talent to make it big but lacks the drive. I cant blame him too much as its hard to motivate yourself with ZC. He can definately bat, ive seen him play some top knocks under immense pressure. Last I heard he wanted to start studying so maybe he will give up. Lifes need to be made I suppose. Callum Price had the potential to be a decent player bowling wise but loves his food and beer too much I think. I reckon he also saw no point continuing with ZC.

sixes fan

Post by sixes fan »

murray wont make it at eagles bcoz of the current
player pool there, they have chakabva & gumbie
whom they wont drop, mutizwa @ mountaineers wont
be dropped too, mutumbami tuskers & a very useless
handirisi there too. he will have to move to rhinos,
make pj moor a batsman only as theyre not giving
him the gloves in the nat team. dnt know much
about diplock but its been said he can surely make
elton & jongwe work harder 4 their jerseys.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Reports were there that franchise system will be replaced by provincial system. Any advances on that ?

However be it franchise or provincial, I think 4 teams is way too less. I call for 5 teams domestic structure, that's minimum. Reducing teams to 4 makes the players pool very tight.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

We don't even have enough good players to fill one team, why on earth do we need more than four first class teams? Making everyone in Zimbabwe a professional cricketer is not the answer to our problems.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

I'm in hope that 5 FC teams open up slots for our young players to find some opportunities and stick around.

Googly

Post by Googly »

@Sixes - For sure you are correct. It makes you wonder how to break into it, doesn't it? My issue is that when you have such a small player pool there are few unknown quantities. Are they just going to hope that by watching the same old players year in and year out that one of them suddenly improves dramatically one day? With someone like Murray you don't know if he's the guy that's got that bit extra that separates him from the herd, so surely you should be trying him immediately?
Plus these guys play against each other all the time, where's the spice to make it interesting? Maybe Klusener and Ntini can help us get into some South African club or inter-provincial seconds for the season?

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Detective RDS wrote:I'm in hope that 5 FC teams open up slots for our young players to find some opportunities and stick around.
4 is plenty of FC teams.
I'd be even calling to reduce it to a tri-series.

The gulf between domestic and international is wayyyyy too wide.

We have the lowest player pool in at least the top 15 cricketing countries. We simply can't justify making a 5th6th first class team, especially with our finances as they are.

Remember that if you get every player in the domestic and international system, it is likely that ZERO players would make a first class side in India, Australia and maybe England.

Domestic level in zim is club level elsewhere.

Before anyone starts talking about Dipcheese and co not getting a go, please remember that zim have A games and international games throughout the season, so even if they aren't getting a look in ATM they certainly will when the top 4 or so from every squad is off playing against Bangladesh and friends again, if they are good enough.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

If these young guys can't get selected ahead of doemstic journeymen, either they really aren't that good or our selection policies suck. It would be better to change the selection policies than add another team of mediocre players and further dilute the standard of cricket.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

gargamel
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by gargamel »

I strongly disagree that the player pool is small and i would advocate for having two additional franchises. There is a serious need to bring back the Southern Rocks who i think were a competitive LIST A side they did win the Metbank T20 and the Pro50 showing some sort of potential in the south east of Zimbabwe. The other squad should be an u23 academy squad that has the kids from the under 19 team cutting their teeth at a higher level. The truth is that we need is more games and a longer season. We simply play little cricket.
Rainbow Cricket Club First and Always