Prosper Utseya caught in a CSA scandal

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jontym87
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Prosper Utseya caught in a CSA scandal

Post by jontym87 »

Sorry to all other guys who got level 2 CSA coaching credentials dubiously. Your names will be published in the second hard hitting article. You should tell Pro to just shut his mouth at times.

Gmail Google+ Web Photos more

Inbox

RE: Please read ASAP!

Neil Manthorp

FYI

Cricket Coaching is booming in South Africa with more people sitting exams and qualifying through its four stages than ever before giving hope to those who believe the lack of quality coaches at grassroots and even provincial level lies at the heart of the games on-field decline.

A Level One certificate deals with only the basics of the game and enables aspirant coaches to teach at junior club and school level. A Level Two qualification includes physical conditioning, injury prevention and even some biokinetics in its syllabus and requires a considerable commitment. It is usually a sign that the graduate is considering coaching as a profession.

Level Three is a prerequisite for all professional coaches while Level Four is attained only by the elite and requires a range of assignments to be completed included projects on sports psychology.

Certificates are not merely handed out for attending. The pass rate even for Level Two courses in South Africa is only around 90%. An academic background is not essential but physical and mental effort is – it is not for everyone and those who enter a course half-heartedly, or because somebody else thought it was a good idea, inevitably drop out.

There are some individuals, of course, who are either unsuited or disinclined to study for the course – but need the certificate and will resort to whatever methods necessary to get their hands on one. People, perhaps, like former international off-spinner Prosper Utseya.

The one-time Zimbabwean captain used a CSA Level 2 certificate signed on May 6, 2009, in order to apply for a place on a Level 3 course in Australia but M&G has ascertained that he never attended the three-week course which was conducted at theMaritzburg Oval.

CSA’s head of coaching, Anton Ferreira, confirmed that there were eight graduates from that course and Utseya was not amongst them: “I double-checked with KZN Inland and on our central data base – there is no record of him,” Ferreira said. “Although I have been told he was inMaritzburg around that time playing club cricket for the University.”

“It looks like an authentic certificate,” Ferreira said, having identified his own signature at the bottom alongside that of the supervising coach who conducted the course, Paul Attkins. “I have no idea how it was done – a fancy scanner, perhaps, and some forgery?”

There were two other Zimbabweans on the course, however, one of whom – Prosper Tsvanhu– also confirmed to the M&G that his namesake was never present and, to his knowledge, had never enrolled on the course.

Utseya enjoyed a 12-year international career spanning 164 one-day internationals and four Test matches until he was banned from playing by the ICC for having a suspect bowling action. He attempted to reinvent himself as a medium pacer and was included in Zimbabwe’s squad for the 2015 World Cup but never played. At the age of 30 his playing days were over and he was advised to consider coaching as an alternative.

When contacted telephonically by M&G, Utseyasaid: “I have a Level Two coaching certificate with Cricket South Africa which I got in 2009.” When asked whether it was legitimate or a fake, Utseyasaid: “Obviously people will say whatever they want. I know there are people out there who are trying to tarnish my image. I’m qualified to coach and I won’t comment any further on the issue.”

He hung up but called back two minutes later to ask who had supplied the information and requesting that the story was not written.

Ferreira is all too well aware of the value, perceived and practical, of coaching qualifications and says Utseya is not the first to produce an illegitimate certificate: “A couple of years ago we heard about a West Indian player who was brandishing a CSA Level 4 certificate in the Caribbean and applying for jobs. We had no record of him ever doing a course or sitting an exam here, but we resolved the situation in cooperation with Barbados Cricket Authorities” Ferreira said.

Although Ferreira – popularly nicknamed ‘Yogi’ for most of his life – is unhappy about the fraud and any possible breach of security in his department, there is also a great deal for him to feel excited about.

“There used to be just a handful of Level Four coaches in the country, now we have Level Four coaches at Provincial level, not just Franchise teams. Mfuneko Ngam, Roger Telemachus, EnochNkwe, Geoff Toyana, Paul Adams, Rob Walter,Malibongwe Maketa and Lawrence Mahatlane are all Level Four qualified while Shane Burger, Ryan Bailey, Cliffie Deacon and Richard das Neves are all amongst the latest group to qualify with Level Three,” Ferreira says.

There have only been six Level Four courses since 1997 with around a dozen coaches on each one and, for some candidates it can take two years to complete every assignment to a satisfactory standard. Excluding those who are no longer with us such as Eddie Barlow, Bob Woolmer and Clive Rice, and those no longer resident such as Mickey Arthur, Ferreira estimates there are around 50 Level Four coaches in the country. Some, like Gary Kirsten and Rudi Steyn work privately but CSA must make the domestic game as attractive as possible to make sustainable use of the coaching talent becoming available.

Confirmation that conventional academic ability is not essential for a career in coaching comes with the tale of a SWD coach who recently qualified with Level Three despite what might have been crippling dyslexia in a different walk of life.

“You have to write exams, obviously, but we’re only interested in the correct answers, not how they’re spelt so we set up a special system where he could dictate his answers. He passed comfortably and is now doing really well working at an academy in Knysna,” Ferreira says.
Professional troll feeder since 2011 :P

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Prosper Utseya caught in a CSA scandal

Post by eugene »

Utseya is scum.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Such a cancer to humanity.

Crickets malignant tumour.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

watermelon

Post by watermelon »

What does it matter?
It's just a piece of paper anyway!

Non issue for me.

-watermelon
<3 Jemisi rules <3

jontym87

Post by jontym87 »

watermelon wrote:What does it matter?
It's just a piece of paper anyway!

Non issue for me.

-watermelon
Watermelon you just one of a kind. And you hide behind a pseudonym.
Professional troll feeder since 2011 :P

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Not surprised, again.

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

ZC should not use this guy as a coach. We have had enough of him to be honest, first he wrote that essay and now he wants to fraudulently use a certificate that he never studied for. Utseya is a disgrace.

watermelon

Post by watermelon »

Kopje wrote:ZC should not use this guy as a coach. We have had enough of him to be honest, first he wrote that essay and now he wants to fraudulently use a certificate that he never studied for. Utseya is a disgrace.
So this little piece of cheap african paper defines him? Defines his abilities?

Newsflash.
They probably didnt even know he had a coaching cert. when ZC appointed him coach.

He was appointed as he was one of our greatest even bowlers who only got a hat trick two years ago.

So that counts for nothing now that a piece of paper is slightly different from the piece of paper he has?

Or you'd rather not have african coaches? is that it?

If we want more afrucans to be coaches we have to accept many of them dont have much coaching knowledge, but that will pick up after 2/3 yrs at the highest levels.

Thats why i think ntini or prosper shoud replace Dav.
<3 Jemisi rules <3

zimlover

Post by zimlover »

Personally i dont mind Prosper at all,he was very devoted to the cause of zim cricket at a time when we were loosing talent left right and centre he stuck through with zim cricket its only unfortunate that his bolwing was deemed illegal.
After 16 years of international cricket at the highest level by zimbabwean standards .I am sure he has a lot to offer in terms of developing talented youngstars ,he should be allowed to develop his coaching skills at academy level or under 19 level.
Not forgeting his hatrick aganist a quality South african side during the tri series with australia , he also played a huge role in the upset aganist the aussies with his offspin and finished with a fearless six.

In my book he should be judged on merit if the certificates are fake then ZC should reprimand him accordingly

I think he is still far from being a National senior team bolwing coach.

The only person i would like to see replace Dave Whatmore would be Grant flower or another reputable international coach
Or even bring back Mangongo alongside Taibu

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

watermelon wrote:
Kopje wrote:ZC should not use this guy as a coach. We have had enough of him to be honest, first he wrote that essay and now he wants to fraudulently use a certificate that he never studied for. Utseya is a disgrace.
So this little piece of cheap african paper defines him? Defines his abilities?

Newsflash.
They probably didnt even know he had a coaching cert. when ZC appointed him coach.

He was appointed as he was one of our greatest even bowlers who only got a hat trick two years ago.

So that counts for nothing now that a piece of paper is slightly different from the piece of paper he has?

Or you'd rather not have african coaches? is that it?

If we want more afrucans to be coaches we have to accept many of them dont have much coaching knowledge, but that will pick up after 2/3 yrs at the highest levels.

Thats why i think ntini or prosper shoud replace Dav.

Take nothing away from his devotion or love for Zimbabwe Cricket and what he can offer in terms of coaching young players (a good thing by the way). But when one is under scrutiny for fraudulently acquiring a certificate (allegedly) which he could have passed if he had gone through the right channels, I am sorry then that is not something to tolerate at all. As a coach and as an ex-player who some of these youngsters he coaches look up to, he should lead by example on and off the field. What message does that send to our young generation if we are now faking certificates?

I read the article, I know he was employed based on his playing experience, but ZC should consult it's South African counterparts and investigate to see if this is true or not. If found guilty then ZC should take appropriate action to reprimand him for it, as I said it sets a bad example for our youth and it also brings ZC's brand in to disrepute for employing someone like that.

For your own information, this has nothing to do with me not wanting African coaches. I actually want more of them within the game, but obviously on merit and of good character to coach/run the game. If many African coaches don't have much coaching knowledge, then that is now a challenge for ZC to make sure it sets it's coaching standards and educate those that want to coach the game. We should not have any room for cutting corners whatever skin colour you are or from whatever country you come from.