Regis Chakabva

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Regis Chakabva

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

He hasn't made any big scores, but he's been consistently getting between 10 and 20.

Don't get me wrong, this is below par. When Keith Dabengwa gets these sorts of scores and I'm the first person to say he should make way for another batsman. But Chakabva has had great returns for Zimbabwe A, and this is only his first crack at decent opposition (up until now it has been Logan Cup and SAA provincial games).

He's averaging 18 for the series so far. It's not a bad start, he's got his whole career ahead of him. I'm still sceptical as to whether he should have been promoted this early, but from the scores he's got it looks like he is slowly adapting. Would be great to see him at number 3 or 4, and how he would go with a lot of overs to bat. If he could get a half century or a good score by the end of the series, then I think it will do his confidence the world of good.

Certainly one of the rising stars of Zimbabwean cricket. :D

jimbo

Re: Regis Chakabva

Post by jimbo »

Yes would have like to have seen this lad in the A side for a little bit longer but at least his selection is on merit due to his good scores.

I mean muzarabani!!!!! What has he done that is spectacular at one day or first class level..Check his stats on cricinfo. They are nothing to write home about!!!

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Totally agree that he is a rising star, let's just hope that he isn't thrown to one side if he has a relatively unproductive run during the MTN.

His wicket keeping looks good from his stats, 32 cts & 3 stps from 13 1st class games, 12 cts & 9 stps from 18 List A, bearing in mind he hasn't kept in the 6 MTN games.

Assuming that Tatenda Taibu is unavailable at times due to his joining the IPL, I guess that Brendan Taylor will return to the number 1 position, or will he ?, would the selectors take a chance on Regis as number 1 ?

These 3 must be the top of the pile for wicket keepers in Zim now, from afar I can never quite work out where Alester Maregwede stands as he never seems to be more than a stand by selection. Have I missed any others or are these the main contenders ?

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Maragwede went to australia for a while to play club cricket..Presume he is still out there

aydee

Post by aydee »

He came from almost nowhere to be the star batsman for the Provinces side in first class cricket. He hadn't had a particularly successful domestic season in Zim the year before that though... His efforts in this MTN tournament have been only OK so far, but he hasn't seemed overawed. He hasn't failed completely yet, and has been able to spend some time in the middle, which is encouraging. To be honest, it's pretty likely that he'll get picked for Zim's next international match (whenever that ends up being...).

By the way, what club does he play for?? Another Takashinga player?

zulu

Post by zulu »

he is talented but has any1 actually seen him bat... because I havnt Id like to see how he is techniquely. I dont know what club he plays for but my money is on a takashinga

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

Who the hell is Muzarabani?? Lets be careful about some people we put into the squad :lol: :lol:

....never heared much of him

Utseyalitharan

Post by Utseyalitharan »

Kopje wrote:Who the hell is Muzarabani?? Lets be careful about some people we put into the squad :lol: :lol:

....never heared much of him
he's one of the promising young stars, he played well last season and i feel its good that he has been rewarded. I am not sure about him getting a jersey in the national side but its only good that this guy is geting the kind of exposure he's getting in the MTN at least Zim will have good back up. Chakabva is a different case altogether...i think they should put him in the national side.

baiju029

Post by baiju029 »

He has proved himself in the match against cobras..........In fact this MTN championship has given a lot of valid points into effect

1) Taibu as a dashing opener

2) Williams as 3rd in batting order

3) Maruma as a spinner

4) How Price and Utseya can test the batsmen together

5) CHAKABWA as a strong middle order contender

6) It also revealed the value of ELTON CHINGUMBURA.........Pls make him the most paid player in the side...He is giving a lot for this struggling zim side

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Zimbabwe is in a strange position. We have 20 or so players who are all good enough to be in the first eleven, yet the team as a whole really, really struggles.

Potentially, we have a team made up like this.

1. Masakadza/Mawoyo
2. Taibu/Sibanda
3. Chibhabha/Williams
4. Taylor
5. Chakabva
6. Matsikenyeri
7. Chigumbura/Dabengwa
8. Utseya/Cremer
9. Price/Maruma
10. Brent/Muzarabani
11. Mupariwa/Mpofu

Where any of the above could play in that position and we'd still have a pretty decent team on paper.

This 70 odd from Chakabva is really pleasing, hopefully it is a sign of more to come. It would be great to have someone in the middle order who could stick around to ensure the Zimbabwe Collapse © doesn't happen (so quickly).

I still think Taylor should open. He was doing so well, it was strange that they put him in the middle order. Masakadza has really done quite well as opener, so maybe Masakadza and Taylor would be a good choice. Both can really turn it on during the powerplays, and should be more than capable of putting on an 80+ partnership.