ZCF Tough Guys Award

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

ZCF Tough Guys Award

Post by Kriterion_BD »

This is inspired by BRMT's Sir Graeme Cremer thread.

Who is Zimbabwe's "toughest" ever cricketer? Who is qualified to wear the badge of "tough guy"?

What is a tough guy, you ask?

A tough guy is a guy who battles. He takes body blows. He is often bloodied, may come out on the losing (or drawing) side, but is rarely beaten, and never beaten easily. He is often underrated while less tough get more accolades.

Here are some examples.

Who is India's greatest cricketer? Most would say Tendulkar. Some Gavaskar or Kapil. In time, Kohli will crack the list. But that doesn't necessarily make them the toughest guys.

I think that accolade belongs to Laxman and even Dravid much more so than Tendy. Tendy choked regularly in the 4th innings of Test matches, in both World Cup finals he appeared in, and also was a no-show in possibly India's greatest ever triumph...that amazing come from behind win vs Australia in Kolkata in 2001.

Tendulkar scored more runs. A lot more. He was a "better" player. Had more awards, had a fanbase 10x bigger than everyone else on the planet combined. But Lax and the Wall were tougher, IMO.

Pretty sure A Flower would be on the list all time, but who of the current or recent lot?

I think Cremer certainly fits the bill with this knock today. Moor is on the way as well.

I'm less sure of Taylor as his match-defining innings are hard to remember. No doubt he's the best since 2004, with Daylight being second and third. But if he has a tough guy knock(s), I'm forgetting them.

The factors that come into play are the following in order of importance:

-Match situation
-Match situation again
-strength of opposition
-pitch conditions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

zimbofan88

Re: ZCF Tough Guys Award

Post by zimbofan88 »

In the past I could think of
1) Andy Flower
2) Douglas Marillier
3) Heath Streak
4) Ray Price
5) Andy Blignaut

The current team has few guys:
1) Cremer
2) PJ Morr
3) Neville Madziva

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Yes I would probably put Madziva there as well.

Cremer, Moor, Madziva.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Guy Whittall was the toughest.

India's toughest guy must have been VVS Laxman. That innings in Kolkata against Australia will be spoken about 200 years from now. That was the greatest game of cricket ever played.

For New Zealand, former opener Mark Richardson comes to mind - just watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQB90K73pqM
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Great topic. I agree with eugene, Guy Whittall takes this one easily for Zim, followed by Andy Flower, Ray Price and may be then Heath Streak. I initially thought Mutumbami might get into this league looking at his Southern Rocks exploits, but not to be. Cremer and Moor sure look like cracking into this list, looking at their approaches and contributions of late. But Whittall was a different level altogether. That 188* vs NZ is good enough indication.

Also, another aspect that defines such folks is that they are ready to play any role for the team. Whittall opened the innings in ODIs for Zim as they searched for their best combination in late 90s, he was the first change bowler on many occasions in the subcontinent and lower order pinch hitter, thus not getting the best opportunities to improve his record, but never complained. Always up for the team's cause. He once bowled a long 22 over spell giving away 44 runs and getting a wicket in a day one Harare test when one of the pacers picked for the game broke down injured. Great guy.

This aspect is where I can easily rate Dravid above Laxman as the toughest for India. He opened in tests, kept wickets in ODIs - even in a World Cup no less for team combination to come good, and captained when no one else wanted that job. Laxman was pretty adamant to stay at 5 or 6 once he found his comfort there. Not discounting him, he comes a close second to Dravid. Kumble and Srinath are in this list too, ahead of the more celebrated Tendulkars, Gavaskars and Kapils. Srinath bowled on dust bowls (and the worst dust bowls you could find) in home matches all his career, and still produced thankless performances, most of the times, carrying the entire pace attack on his shoulders even on away tours. Not once he complained. Kumble too, took the criticism of being ineffective outside India, and look at his record since Sydney 2004, they are spectacular. Another guy who took up captaincy when no one, including Dravid at that stage wanted it. Grittiest of lower order batsmen too, putting a price tag on his wicket every time he walked out. May be it is a leg spinner thing.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I think Dravid is India's greatest. Laxman had that ability to score when no one else was but he went missing as well. Williams and Johnson are like this for Zim.

Whittall was a fighter for sure. Andy certainly was and we shouldn't be overawed by his success across the board. He could easily have averaged 40 with less spirit.

Cremer is willing to tough it out. I have to say Tiripano has some spunk. He was great yesterday and it wasn't a one off.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Actually Anil Kumble was a tough bugger. I remember him bowling with a broken jaw and a bandage around his head - he even dismissed Brian Lara.

Adam Huckle was another tough guy, those white farmers were a tough breed.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

rupeni
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by rupeni »

Donald Tiripano is the grittiest guy in this squad.. He knows how to stick around even taking blows.. I remember against SA when he stuck around for almost a whole day getting peppered by Morne Morkel but he still drove and blocked when they pitched it up.. His bowling, pace wise, has suffered ever since he took his batting more seriously..

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Graeme Smith once batted with a broken hand. All the Aussies & the crowd were shocked he came out to bat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk_XgnIsM04

rupeni
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by rupeni »

Detective RDS wrote:Graeme Smith once batted with a broken hand. All the Aussies & the crowd were shocked he came out to bat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk_XgnIsM04
Well, we are talking about Zimbabwe and it's players.