Taibu to launch Zim Cricket Academy based in Merseyside!

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Taibu to launch Zim Cricket Academy based in Merseyside!

Post by Googly »

Look at those English club wickets! :lol: :lol:
You don't want to be facing anyone with gas on those decks.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Lock is at Southampton Uni and plays for them. Hopper is at Oxford Brooks and in their squad (top team, it's Oxford and Oxford Brookes combined- affiliated to MCC. Lake also plays for them). Huchu now Head Boy at Eastbourne college after only having been there one year!!!!!

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

None of them will play first class cricket in England. BRYOM has a small chance.

My betting is that they will use the opportunity to network with the cricket elite/upper class who dominate club cricket in England and use it to get a cushdey job in the city and play top level club cricket where they have their egos stroked every weekend.

It's a great and sustainable in terms of income after the age of 40.

Why would anyone choose to slog it out in the Zim system when you can have everything you need in life handed to you on a plate?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Huchu's dad works for Hwange Colliery. They have zero spare cash. They waved goodbye to their boy a year ago and may see him again when someone is kind enough to pay for a ticket home. That young man has grabbed every opportunity given to him with both hands and is an outstanding human. He made his own plate from clay.
The Evans family are struggling in Zim. Their boy is back over there working at a school and trying to make his way in life. Nothing handed to him either.
The Byrom family also just an ordinary family trying to stay afloat in Zim. Ed is a serious young man and dedicated to his career. Absolutely nothing handed to him either.
The Welch family are in the same boat. Nick is dedicated to his cricket and waiting for his break, they've been together as a family once in two years. If he doesn't get despondent with the lack of opportunities he will definitely break into FC, it may take a couple of seasons, but he'll get his shot. He just displaced Billy Root at Claremont and he's very much on the radar in England. None of the above can afford Uni and are working class.
Hopper and Lock are at uni and have had a slightly easier time, but nonetheless their families have made huge sacrifices.
When you get endlessly selected for Zim or franchise or get a free farm or 51% of a business, or have a coaching job without a certificate that a 10 year old could get then that's life handed to you on a silver plate. It just depends how you look at things, my china plate.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

https://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scor ... 98750.html

A bit expensive with his bowling, though. But I see a converted fast bowler in there who knows how to effect a stumping. :D Have you given up bowling for good, Sloan, after all your injury troubles?
Last edited by foreignfield on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Googly wrote:Huchu's dad works for Hwange Colliery. They have zero spare cash. They waved goodbye to their boy a year ago and may see him again when someone is kind enough to pay for a ticket home. That young man has grabbed every opportunity given to him with both hands and is an outstanding human. He made his own plate from clay.
The Evans family are struggling in Zim. Their boy is back over there working at a school and trying to make his way in life. Nothing handed to him either.
The Byrom family also just an ordinary family trying to stay afloat in Zim. Ed is a serious young man and dedicated to his career. Absolutely nothing handed to him either.
The Welch family are in the same boat. Nick is dedicated to his cricket and waiting for his break, they've been together as a family once in two years. If he doesn't get despondent with the lack of opportunities he will definitely break into FC, it may take a couple of seasons, but he'll get his shot. He just displaced Billy Root at Claremont and he's very much on the radar in England. None of the above can afford Uni and are working class.
Hopper and Lock are at uni and have had a slightly easier time, but nonetheless their families have made huge sacrifices.
When you get endlessly selected for Zim or franchise or get a free farm or 51% of a business, or have a coaching job without a certificate that a 10 year old could get then that's life handed to you on a silver plate. It just depends how you look at things, my china plate.
I think you misunderstood what i said. I am arguing that the players mentioned will use the opportunities that cricket has given them to build a life and a career outside cricket within the UK. Nothing to do with any money that their families have given them over the years.

I can't believe that Nick Welch is on the England radar. The boy is 19 and is not with a country nor has he done particular well in 2nd team cricket. Had to play a few games for Sussex and Surrey didn't want him. The idea of him being on Englands radar is madness. He will be very luck to play FC cricket in England.

Billy Root was replaced at at Claremont due to visa issues, yes he had a shocker but nothing to do with performances.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I didnt mean on the England radar. I meant on the England county radar. He will get plenty of Two's games next season.
Heard this morning that he's been asked to be the Overseas for Claremont next season. Can't comment about Root's visa issue but he didn't make runs and Welch was promoted ahead of him, or so I was told.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

zimfan1 wrote:None of them will play first class cricket in England. BRYOM has a small chance.

My betting is that they will use the opportunity to network with the cricket elite/upper class who dominate club cricket in England and use it to get a cushdey job in the city and play top level club cricket where they have their egos stroked every weekend.

It's a great and sustainable in terms of income after the age of 40.

Why would anyone choose to slog it out in the Zim system when you can have everything you need in life handed to you on a plate?
This is an angle that does not come to the fore much in general. I had some thought on these lines given some examples in the past, but I'm not aware of all the financial and other family aspects to comment about it. But now that you bring this up, it is definitely an angle that one must keep in mind, and it is not always ZC is evil, they let this kid go angle. People make decisions for a lot of complicated reasons and there may surely be some of these cases too.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

foreignfield wrote:https://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scor ... 98750.html

A bit expensive with his bowling, though. But I see a converted fast bowler in there who knows how to effect a stumping. :D Have you given up bowling for good, Sloan, after all your injury troubles?
That was his first game for us last summer. Came off a short run up of 5 paces for the first over and got tonked, then told me to 'give yourself a few boet' the next over. Came off 18 paces and nearly took my head off with a ball which spat through. The man's got pace and can swing it both ways. He just tried to bowl too fast but hey, he's 23 and has had good coaching in S.A.
foreignfield wrote:Have you given up bowling for good, Sloan, after all your injury troubles?
I have sadly, pal. I had a terrible knee injruy in 2015 and i lost my confidence when ever my left foot planted. I've always been a good wicket keeper (as self absorbed as that sounds), and stood up to Tyler a lot last summer, especially at the death. I had a horror run with the bat as well for the first half of that summer :lol:

His connection with Zimbabwe is purely down to the fact that his mother and father are Zimbabwean. Additionally, he's played at Kwekwe before (apparently) and he has family and property in Bulawayo. Although all of his schooling was in Natal and, up until last year, harbored a goal of getting some form on domestic contract. Those dreams where pissed on when three quota players received contracts ahead of him because the squad he was trying to break into didn't meet the quota requirements. Said it pissed him off so much that he decided to give Zimbabwe a go. He's a genuinely hard working, dedicated bloke and wants to play the highest standard of cricket he can.
He mentioned to me last summer that he was in talks with an ex Zimbabwean wicket keeper about joining a development side. Not sure why I didn't ask more about it, but it shows that these developments have been in the pipeline since last year!

Diplock, though, should definitely be there. All the lads who I know who faced him in the division below said how easy he made bowling look, and how hard he hit the ball. Although they said he looked like Tony Greig.. :o

Cricketfanatic101
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Cricketfanatic101 »

For those of you wondering. As a close friend. Tykor withdrew from the squad shortly after his girlfriend was diagnosed with cancer. His number one passion in life is cricket but she needed extensive surgery. Sadly this was nit his opportunity. Maybe the next one will be.