ODI squad vs Afghanistan announced

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Mueddie28

Re: ODI squad vs Afghanistan announced

Post by Mueddie28 »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:No Williams, no H Masakadza. Top order looks shaky to me, particularly the opening pair. I mean given this squad it has to be "Raza + ?" right? And the only one that makes sense is Moor (even though I admit that experiment didn't work last time). Musakanda or Burl shouldn't be thrown in the deep end, Ervine is good at 3, and the Waller's or Mire (or Chigumbura) have never opened before.

I'm thinking:

1. Raza. - clock ticking do something on go back to Pakistan....
2. Moor (wk). Put Mire he opens at club level
3. Ervine
4. Burl
5. Musakanda - keep a watch sub par performance after 2 games bench his ass..
6. M Waller- anyone but him a wicket duck Hami with no pressure Position
7. Mire - Put PJ moor
8. N Waller
9. Cremer (c)
10. W Masakadza - Chisoro is a better spinner
11. Chatara

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Kriterion_BD wrote:Taylor actually scored runs against most oppositions he faced. Hamy and Williams, not so much.

Yes, Hammy and Williams are still good enough to crack the XI - so while I'm not advocating dropping Hami.

At the same time, how much time does he have left? He's almost 34 I think and with his lack of fitness he must surely be nearing the end of his career. He's probably one of the longest playing guys in the world, if not the longest.
Yes, I would have thought Hammy had to produce some serious runs in this series to be in regular contention, but he deserves to be part of this series for sure, especially ahead of Waller and Chigumbura. Hell, even Sibanda deserves to be in ahead of those two, but anyway, we have crossed the Sibanda bridge now. Let us not go back there.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

sixes fan wrote:you guys are impossible, you shout everyday about how
shit hammy is and its better to play a 15 year old because
he cant do any worse. Hammy is not even dropped yet
and you are already calling foul bad section.Credit to
taibu & co for selectin mire, burl, tari, waller ahead of the
chibhabhas & chari we need to do something different
other than play same 11 hoping they will somehow win
this time.
1. Selection of Burl was inevitable after his show against Afg A. In fact, his non-selection would have raised questions. No need to applaud selection team for that.
2. Musakanda was already selected in the previous series, and the selectors were applauded for that. Good continuity there for the youngster.
3. Chari's woeful form deserved a drop. Again, his inclusion would have raised eyebrows, so no need to pat the selection team's back for that (or may be we need to, Streak finally realized he can't carry one of his favorites too long without scores to speak of)
4. 2 slots up for grabs from the 4 games over the weekend could still mean Chari could sneak in, and the window is not necessarily open only for Williams and Masakadza.
5. You contradict yourself by saying Hammy is not even dropped, and say Chibhabha is dropped, while the latter is also out due to "lack of minimum fitness".
6. Selecting Mire is not the success of the Taibu campaign to bring back the "diaspora". Mire's is a special case of playing grade cricket in Aus and turning up for Zim whenever free, as Streak has put it. This cannot apply to any of the other guys placed in UK as they are not in the same boat regarding Kolpak, visa, etc. So, this selection cannot go down as a victory for efforts yet. Also, it would be interesting to see what Mire has done of late, even in the grade cricket there.
7. It is debatable whether Nathan Waller did enough to warrant first team selection, but if you did select him and Mire, where is the need to keep woefully out of touch Chigumbura in the squad?
8. There is no defense for keeping Malcolm Waller, Chigumbura and Mpofu in the squad while leaving out Williams and Hamilton. Even half fit, one dimensional Williams and Hamilton have more to contribute than those 3 at this point.
9. How is it youth policy if we drop up and coming Mumba, and keep Mpofu, given their recent performances?
10. Who is our backup keeper? Who are our openers? Where is the balance in the squad?

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

A closer look at this squad and it reminds me of the WC side picked in 2015, the fact Streak has 3 allrounders I believe shows he wants to play 2 front line seamers, a spinner and 2 allrounders just like in the WC. The only problem with that was half way through the tournament Mire and Chigs had given up bowling and Kamungozi was ineffective so we returned to 3 seamers and relied on Willy and Raza to bowl the spin. At least this time around we have a better spinner in Cremer and hopefully Mire has worked on his bowling .....

Hami *
Moor
Ervine
Burl
Raza
Williams *
Mire
Nathan Waller / Chigumbura
Cremer
Tiripano
Chatara
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
sixes fan wrote:you guys are impossible, you shout everyday about how
shit hammy is and its better to play a 15 year old because
he cant do any worse. Hammy is not even dropped yet
and you are already calling foul bad section.Credit to
taibu & co for selectin mire, burl, tari, waller ahead of the
chibhabhas & chari we need to do something different
other than play same 11 hoping they will somehow win
this time.
1. Selection of Burl was inevitable after his show against Afg A. In fact, his non-selection would have raised questions. No need to applaud selection team for that.- M _I agree
2. Musakanda was already selected in the previous series, and the selectors were applauded for that. Good continuity there for the youngster.- M that's true
3. Chari's woeful form deserved a drop. Again, his inclusion would have raised eyebrows, so no need to pat the selection team's back for that (or may be we need to, Streak finally realized he can't carry one of his favorites too long without scores to speak of)- Chari is a failed project...
4. 2 slots up for grabs from the 4 games over the weekend could still mean Chari could sneak in, and the window is not necessarily open only for Williams and Masakadza.- Sean & Hami will definitely make the squad...
5. You contradict yourself by saying Hammy is not even dropped, and say Chibhabha is dropped, while the latter is also out due to "lack of minimum fitness".- Chibhabha is rubbish
6. Selecting Mire is not the success of the Taibu campaign to bring back the "diaspora". Mire's is a special case of playing grade cricket in Aus and turning up for Zim whenever free, as Streak has put it. This cannot apply to any of the other guys placed in UK as they are not in the same boat regarding Kolpak, visa, etc. So, this selection cannot go down as a victory for efforts yet. Also, it would be interesting to see what Mire has done of late, even in the grade cricket there. - M _ Well done on More selection..
7. It is debatable whether Nathan Waller did enough to warrant first team selection, but if you did select him and Mire, where is the need to keep woefully out of touch Chigumbura in the squad? M_ Nathan has proven his worth..
8. There is no defense for keeping Malcolm Waller, Chigumbura and Mpofu in the squad while leaving out Williams and Hamilton. Even half fit, one dimensional Williams and Hamilton have more to contribute than those 3 at this point.
9. How is it youth policy if we drop up and coming Mumba, and keep Mpofu, given their recent performances? M _ the good Murungu saw Mpofu as a good bowler so Heath Streak is just following through...
10. Who is our backup keeper? Who are our openers? Where is the balance in the squad?
..M_ M Waller- is the back up keeper....

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Yes he has kept wicket before

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

Mire has averaged 34 opening in the batting in Premier league cricket in Melbourne. So maybe he is in line to open batting? Only bowled 51 overs for 6 wickets so far, so would say he is more of a batsmen who bowls a bit nowadays.
Mupariwa is going okay in Tasmania averaging 19 with the ball and batting at three. Certainly earning his keep!

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Terryalderman wrote:Mire has averaged 34 opening in the batting in Premier league cricket in Melbourne. So maybe he is in line to open batting? Only bowled 51 overs for 6 wickets so far, so would say he is more of a batsmen who bowls a bit nowadays.
Mupariwa is going okay in Tasmania averaging 19 with the ball and batting at three. Certainly earning his keep!

Interesting info there, I guess Mire might open .....

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I think. we also have to realize that the competition has increased heavily over the last year or 2 with a lot of youngsters coming through. when was the last time we could name almost 2 teams which could genuinely be picked. for example you could have...

Chamu. Hami
Vusi. Mire
Musakanda. Ervine
Raza. Williams
M Waller. Burl
Elton. PJ
Mutumbami. N Waller
Madziva. Cremer
Welly. Tiripano
Chatara. Mumba
Mpofu. Chisoro

obviously one team is stronger because I wasn't focusing on mixing them up but it shows that we have reached a stage where at least 6 players who usually make the squads(and might even have contracts) will be sidelined every series. I didn't even mention Chakabva and Mawoyo for tests. the next step would be to retire a few of the guys to make way for the next generation but it has be done in phases. for me the obvious guys are Elton Mpofu and Vusi. followed by Hami Panyangara(who i also didnt mention)and Waller once the likes of Burl Mumba and Musakanda have played at least 25 ODIs. having surplus players at the moment is actually a good thing and gives us hope that we might stabilize one day.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

So Chigs didn't bowl in the Eagles match so one must think he is still playing as a batsman not as an all rounder, so our side with 3 allrounders is now back to 1 allrounders considering we now think Mire will open the batting and not bowl ??