Is 54 all out vs Afghanistan in Harare the lowest point?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Is 54 all out vs Afghanistan in Harare the lowest point?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Against a Test nation? Okay
Away from home? Sure
Against Afghanistan? Maybe if it was played in Kabul under gunfire

Against Afghanistan at our Harare fortress? I think this is the lowest point in Zim cricket history. Totally disgraceful.

Googly

Re: Is 54 all out vs Afghanistan in Harare the lowest point?

Post by Googly »

The real low points are in the background, today was as a result of them. Our Board can't organise a domestic season or anything for that matter. What's sickening is their next round of fixes when they themselves are the problem and need to go. It should be the players taking action and not ZC.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Sad to say but yes this has to be the lowest point ..dissapointed by williams and ervine i used to rate them as good as taylor and taibu if they cant perform we cant blame the younger guys ..moor must be thinking he is of no use ..we will have to again bare with mutambami i gues

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

I am wondering what impact this would have created in the minds of spectators ..i havent seen staidum as full and noisy as it was today ..really feeling bad for the supporters dont know if they will again turn up in such a huge number

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

54 all out at less than 4 an over is damning.

It appears as though the only thing stopping this from being a 4-1 or 5-0 drubbing was Afghan complacency by playing as many as 3 bench players in the 3rd and 4th ODIs. Even now they are batting Nabi down at 8 when he usually bats at 6 and ought to bat even higher. That Stanikzai clown is hogging up a spot with this 22 average.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

This is not only the lowest point, but most likely the end point. I ask myself a lot these days why i waste time following cricket in Zimbabwe. It's all over.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Once again when push comes to shove Zimbabwe fall apart. Mistakes come in many sizes and shapes and following Murphy's law there will always be SOME mistakes. Look at how a seasoned side like India just got rolled the fuck over against all odds.

But the point is two-fold...learn from your mistakes. Minor flaws will be repeated as that is only human, but hopefully with a consistency that allows competitiveness. Major flaws need to be rare. Secondly, make necessary adjustments.

What were Afghanistan's mistakes? Well the first is critical batting errors. As soon a partnership was brewing, one that would knock the wind out of Zimbabwe (eg a 150 run partnership at around 5 an over) the Afghans played a stupid shot or were beaten by a good delivery. The fact that this keeps happening indicates the Afghans are either unable or unwilling to learn. My assessment its the former...Afghanistan's batsmen simply aren't good enough to consistently score 250+ against Zimbabwe's attack. This is a HUGE flaw and a reason why Afghanistan have just a couple of wins against Bangladesh (one of those against a severely weakened BD side, the other a rusty side that hadn't played an international in 6 months) on their list of major scalps. There is no way you will compete with an England or a New Zealand with that kind of batting (bowling will keep you in the game for a while).

The other mistake from the Afghans was batting first whenever they won the toss. You know it might rain, bowling is your strength, the opposition's batting is mediocre on a good day, why the fuck would you risk trying to defend a small total in a Duckworth Lewis scenario? Just poor decisions from a bumbling captain who can't bat, can't bowl, and can't field either.

A third mistake was Afghanistan resting key players after taking a 2-0 lead. Thats fine and dandy if you want to win 3-2 as they have, but had you won 4-1 or 5-0 you would have gained major points on the ODI table. Keep doing that for 3-4 years and you will catch up to the top 9 teams.

What about Zimbabwe?

I think Zimbabwe makes a new mistake every game or series. This series the bowling was great (or maybe it was against a shitty batting lineup, who knows). The batsman failed. No 200 run scores in the entire series. Only crossed 150 once. Key players should have stepped up in a decider, and only Cremer and Williams got anywhere close with tidy spells of bowling, but didn't run through the lineup which you'd expect with their experience. Chatara got roasted, Ervine and Williams batted like they were debutants.

The harsh reality is, Zimbabwe are simply not good enough anymore. Associate nations should be beaten 4-1 at home. But all the excuses seem to be running out. Not enough gametime...well the national teamers have played a lot of ODIs in the past 2 years and quite a few A team games as well. Masakadza and Williams have even turned up at the DPL in Bangladesh. Poor umpiring decisions yes, but I wonder how much of that is Zimbabwe's body language - appeals without conviction and batsman stumbling in front of the stumps whenever struck on the pads. When DRS was used, SL won the 2nd test by an even bigger margin that the first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

to be honest this is the lowest. never been more embarrassed to support these guys than yesterday. the board has issues but please let's stop giving these players free rides. they are professionals earning 4 or 5 thousand a month in a harsh economy like ours. even the 400/500 dollars that the domestic players get is the average salary for most people lucky to be employed in Zimbabwe. if they want better pay and conditions they need to justify it. there is absolutely no excuse for getting bowled out by an associate for 54 and blame the board.

to he honest the senior players did not come to the party. when they did play Ervine Williams Masakadza and Waller did not come to the party. the only decent scores came from players still making their way in the team. all other countries have a couple of reliable senior players that you know at least one of them will score big. this losers mentality is toxic and I'm sorry but if I was the admin I'm honestly only keeping Ervine and Williams and Raza out of the senior batsmen only because they have saved us before. the rest of the other senior guys have to be retired immediately.

that losers mentality is toxic. its all in their head and it will never go away. they have been losing for far too long that defeats like this don't even hurt them. its just another day on the job for them. that statement by Klusener talking about how some of these guys are used to 'guaranteed employment' was very telling from somebody who is used to a setup of winner. I don't care if Hami is scoring triple centuries at domestic level he will never reach his potential at the biggest stage.that generation is just a write off.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

luckily for these guys our future as a full member is more likely going to be saved by the very board we hate

http://www.google.co.za/url?q=http://m. ... xemb7obvTQ

luckily for them India needs our vote to keep their money flowing. that's literally all we have left

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

TapsC wrote:luckily for these guys our future as a full member is more likely going to be saved by the very board we hate

http://www.google.co.za/url?q=http://m. ... xemb7obvTQ

luckily for them India needs our vote to keep their money flowing. that's literally all we have left

Well let's use our friendship with India for more than a 3ODI series every second year, I've been thinking the last few days that ever since the rebellion in 03 we have not toured any of the big 3 countries in test cricket, to shield us from being slaughtered. But it has also shielded us from improving and now we have a generation of players who can only count Bangladesh or The West Indies as a tour they've been on ......

We need to start touring Australia & India even if it's for A Games or ODI's we really need to start exposing the next generation of players to the best on the world not hiding them from being hammered. Maybe if our batsman had faced Starc and Hazelwood in Australia or Ashwin and Jadeja in India they wouldn't so much with Dawlat, Nabi, Hamza and Khan ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement