Dissecting Zimbabwe's troubles with Heath Streak

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
GregorPJ
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Dissecting Zimbabwe's troubles with Heath Streak

Post by GregorPJ »

The following article has appeared on cricinfo this afternoon

http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe/co ... 84663.html

eugene

Re: Dissecting Zimbabwe's troubles with Heath Streak

Post by eugene »

The same things we have been hearing for years - batsmen need to apply themselves, hold on to catches, etc. If it hasn't happened by now it ain't gonna happen.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

"Our batting is a worry but Sikandar Raza and Elton Chigumbura were both injured and the other guys really lacked match practice." said Streak.

So, Chigumbura got injured presumably soon after selection that made him warm the benches all through the series while Hamilton and Williams had to try and pass a fitness test before every match? Why did they not release Elton if unfit?

The more dangerous part is Streak talking about him as if he would have walked in to the XI had he been fit. He was lucky to be in the squad even then. So, indications are, we'll have to bare with a lot of Chigs and Waller in future too.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

Efforts are still going on for come back of some players who left Zimbabwe, sited Solomon Mire is an example, might be Brendan Taylor after his three year Kolpak deal comes to an end.

Googly

Post by Googly »

He's just saying the right things, much like Taibu. I think these guys go on a PR course and probably sign a non-disclosure agreement or something similar.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There's really nothing constructive for Heath to say. I'm sure he's doing his level best with what he's got. It must be frustrating for him. You can't blame Klusener either, he's probably an excellent batting coach (you definitely don't have to have been the most technically brilliant batsman yourself to be a good coach, that's a misnomer). The string of coaches we've had over the years have all had poor results with Zim, but have done remarkably well elsewhere. It's not rocket science to figure out that our players are part of the problem and Admin makes up the rest of the snag. At this level you should be just tweaking a few things and the guys should be established good players. They're having to work with guys that are decent enough but there's very few big players or potentially big players in our ranks. That's all. There's no coach on this planet bringing a magic formula.

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

I read Chris Rogers' book and he said Klusener was one of the better coaches he had whilst playing. He helped him at Notts.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

How can Chigs be close to the team and Hami not be missed?

We are sad that Hami can only help us beat associates.

We continue to lose to associates.

Why is he not in there helping us beat associates?

Has he pissed Heath off somehow?

How can we be saying that Moor and Mire are better opening than either would be with Hami?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Jemisi wrote:Has he pissed Heath off somehow?
The Ntini report after the World T20 must have had an impact? Who performs such a scathing review of a skipper after just one series at the helm? I can't imagine how disillusioned I would be if such a report is actually upheld as it was done in this case. Until Ntini is there in the dressing room, things would definitely be uncomfortable for Hamilton, and that opinion of Ntini could rub off on other coaching staff too. Streak, we can remember, chose to back Duffin and Chakabva ahead of Hamilton when the CWC 2011 squad was chosen, so for some reason, Hamilton is unpopular amongst the previous generation for a long time. It will remain one of the mysteries of Zimbabwean cricket I'm sure. I'm not counting on Hamilton writing a tell all book post retirement too.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Hammy is a ZC snitch, not sure if that helps or hinders him.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes