Tom Curran called up for England

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Tom Curran called up for England

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Zim lineage continues to enrich cricket teams of other countries: Tom Curran called up to the England squad as cover for Jake Ball for the WI tour.

Kriterion_BD

Re: Tom Curran called up for England

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Interested to see how TC goes. I don't believe Sam is cut out to bowl at international level (might be a handy lower order batsman tho), lets see if Tom can do it as he's a bit taller and probably has a bit more pace.

England is one of the best LOI sides around now...to even make their squad is a HUGE achievement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Why don't you think Sam will make the grade as an international bowler? I'm curious why you say that? I watched him growing up here and saw plenty of his games. He's an outstanding batsman, right up there with the best I've seen. I personally think he should have been coached primarily as a batsman, he's spent a lot of time honing his bowling skills and has missed a trick not becoming a top order batsman, but he's certainly good enough to become one. He resorts to ramps and paddles these days when he's trying to get on with it, which he does well, but he's too good for that, he should just play conventional shots because he's wonderful to watch when he's on song.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

I could always be wrong but he just didn't have "that look" about him. Sam is still young so if he grows a few more inches and puts on another yard of pace or two he will be loads better. He does swing the ball well but will need to be consistently faster than 125-128 kph (his speeds at last years WC, though I think he did hit 135 or so). But it will be exciting to see how the Curran brothers do.

I havent seen Tom, but he looks more menacing than Sam as a bowler. Sam is probably better with the bat based on stats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Googly

Post by Googly »

He's a really good bowler, a yard quicker than people think, has a good bouncer, good slower ball etc
Left arm swinging seam is a big plus as well.
Sam is actually a late developer, just grown recently, and probably has a bit more to go.
He will become a damn good all rounder. He is already. I thought the County batsmen would be ready for Sam last season but he stepped up.
What I find interesting is that Surrey have actually vigorously marketed these boys, and indeed they are marketable, they've turned them into celebrities and the journalists love their story and it gets repeated a lot. Surrey have undue interest in the English set up and there are a few of their players playing representative cricket, it must gall the other counties a bit. Alec Stewart is a very influential man.
They have Matt Pillans (young South African bowler) who is contracted by Surrey who hasn't had any game time on account of the Currans, he should get some exposure now and I will be interested to see how he goes because I really rate him. In my view he's up there with Abbott and he's going to grab his chance with both hands.

Ming
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Ming »

Yet another good cricketer from my junior school, Springvale House, which also produced Gary Ballance.
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).