Was Keith Dabengwa really that bad?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Robbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Was Keith Dabengwa really that bad?

Post by Robbo »

He was, or still is, a half decent domestic player, but not really good enough for international cricket. I'd liken to him someone like Timycen Maruma in that respect. There's no shame in it, and there are plenty of players who fit into that category.

I do know that he has played over here in the U.K quite a bit as an overseas player, and has been very good. Both as a player on the pitch, and as decent bloke off it.

GregorPJ
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by GregorPJ »

Granted I never seen Keith play for Zim so I find it hard to comment on that side i'd say he is a great influence on any side that he plays in.

He played for my club in Scotland for 3 years and was a massive success both on and off the field. So much so that id consider him one of my best friends.

He isn't the most gifted player in the world but he is a workaholic, always netting, bowling, taking catches, coaching seniors and juniors. He truly is a great guy.

He is a big loss to Zimbabwean cricket as a whole I feel. He had plenty to offer whilst still playing, ie helping the younger guys learn about their games and helping them progress their careers. Furthermore, a really good coach with ECB Level 2 that would be massively beneficial to any franchise side or even the national team!

eugene

Post by eugene »

Dabengwa was not an international grade cricketer but he was invaluable on the domestic scene. A great mentor to younger players I'm sure.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

The comparison with Maruma is reasonable. He has been a solid domestic contributor, better than making up the numbers but never good enough for Zim.

Black Mamba

Post by Black Mamba »

At present, none of the Zimbabwe players seems of international standard. All are club level players.

gargamel
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by gargamel »

I view Dabengwa as an unfortunate casualty of the post Rebel era. Someone who would or should never had been close to national selection he was unfortunately the best of the rest and had to be picked. I think we could classify him a a trier and solid bloke on and off the field. He like many of his generation are clouded out by the worst time in our cricket history and will always characterised as not being good enough or just average.
Rainbow Cricket Club First and Always

eugene

Post by eugene »

It certainly wasn't Dabengwa's fault he was selected.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Initially when he was selected, he tried his best during 2005 as a spinning allrounder batting at 7/8. After that lost the plot.

However, in FC, he seems to have scored some runs with the bat off late and took his FC batting average to 28. As earlier said, with ECB level 2 coaching credential, he would have been valuable in domestic scene as a mentor to young players. He's a loss along with Sibanda to domestic cricket.