Fairweather cup

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jimbo

Fairweather cup

Post by jimbo »

Im just responding to the fairweather cup article where it said that the one day tournament was to be posponed indefinetly...I hope that the zimbabwe board will look to rearrange as soon as the MTN series is over.
I have a few bones to pick with the board as a zimbabwe fan..First of all Chingoka is always going on about taking the game to the masses rather than a select group, By this he obviously means the black population rather than white..Thing is if there is no domestic tournaments taking place how can the up and coming players prove themselves against each other!!! It seems the man is contradicting himself...The select group at the moment is the zimbabwe national team because if there is no domestic cricket how can selectors gauge wheter a player has the desired class to step up to the next level!!

aydee

Re: Fairweather cup

Post by aydee »

Very good points.

Zim needs a good domestic structure. One that is going to guarantee players a certain amount of first class and list A experience each season. Obviously, it is highly preferable that the national team players are available for any domestic tournament, as it raises the standards, and allows the other players in the country the chance to learn from and test themselves against the country's best. Therefore, I understand why they would want this tournament to take place when the national team is not in action. However, it does seem that that will not be the case for a while yet, and Zim can't afford for these tournaments to not take place...

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

We have to remember that zimbabwe is getting paid as a full member still..Thats millions more than say ireland or scotland get!!!. With this in mind and despite inflation zimbabwe board should look to hold such competitions and not pospone indefinetly!!!. If it does not take place then its a very poor show indeed from the board

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

jimbo wrote:Im just responding to the fairweather cup article where it said that the one day tournament was to be posponed indefinetly...I hope that the zimbabwe board will look to rearrange as soon as the MTN series is over.
I have a few bones to pick with the board as a zimbabwe fan..First of all Chingoka is always going on about taking the game to the masses rather than a select group, By this he obviously means the black population rather than white..Thing is if there is no domestic tournaments taking place how can the up and coming players prove themselves against each other!!! It seems the man is contradicting himself...The select group at the moment is the zimbabwe national team because if there is no domestic cricket how can selectors gauge wheter a player has the desired class to step up to the next level!!
It's Faithwear, but I don't think many would argue that it is only a fair weather tournament :P

As far as this tournament goes, the only use it's going to have is if the national team players are involved, all play and are evenly distributed amongst the different teams. Otherwise the quality will be little better than the National League.

I think we'd all much rather a Northerns vs Westerns match that puts the likes of Brendan Taylor and Tatenda Taibu against the likes of Chris Mpofu and Tawanda Mupariwa. So I'm not concerned if they want to postpone it.

The major problem with Faithwear (and Logan Cup now, too) is that there are 5 teams. Zimbabwe doesn't have that many players. 4 teams would be much better, but 3 would be ideal. I'm aware this means less players will compete, but it will mean a much more competitive A division, and a decent quality B division. Westerns, Centrals and Easterns. Much better.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Posponing it is one thing!!! Not actually rearranging the matches is another matter altogether and that is the point i was trying to make

The logan cup was said to be re-arranged in 2006..What happened!!!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

jimbo wrote:Posponing it is one thing!!! Not actually rearranging the matches is another matter altogether and that is the point i was trying to make

The logan cup was said to be re-arranged in 2006..What happened!!!
It will get played. Cricket was on the brink in 2006. Even though it may not appear this way, Zimbabwe has come a long way since then.

1) Our national team has competed well against the top teams, and has beaten Australia and West Indies.
2) We have domestic structures in place (they just need to be used)
3) Players are returning, not leaving
4) We have a stable squad
5) We have a captain
6) Young players do not need to be thrown in at the deep end any more. Now we can slowly give the likes of Taurai Muzarabani and Regis Chakabva game time in the SAA games and the MTN games, this time in 2006 they would have been playing the ODI's against Kenya.

Don't let the poor showing in the MTN series, Pakistan series, etc fool you, Zimbabwe is becoming stronger. Everything that is happening now is short term. Points 3 and 4 are the key at the moment, if the trend continues things will fall in to place on the field. The average age of the squad at the moment is probably 23 or 24 - less if you exclude Gary Brent and Ray Price. Cricketers tend to reach their prime in their late 20's and early 30's, so realistically speaking we probably won't reach the heights we were at in the late 1990's and early 2000's again for quite some time. As I said, all of these current series are short term things. But over time it builds up, and our young players will become very experienced in international cricket.

In fact, if you think about it, all of Australia's top players are in their mid 30's and are retiring. At some point in the next few years the Australian team will probably have quite a few youngsters in it (remember, young in Australian cricket is late 20's). So assuming there are half a dozen 27 years old debutants in the Australian team in a couple of years time, remember, Zimbabwe will be in the same situation, but the cricketers of the same age will have been playing for nearly 10 years. Strong domestic circuit aside, experience is quite often the key in pressure situations. Who would you back to hit a 6 off the last ball? Brendan Taylor or Luke Ronchi on his Test debut? ;)

aydee

Post by aydee »

Andy Flower made his ODI debut for Zim aged 24... That's the same age as Tatenda Taibu and Hamilton Masakadza, who are comfortably Zim's most experienced batsmen at the moment. It took him 10 years to reach his peak, and the world no.1 spot... Despite the fact that most of them have now played a fair few ODIs, Zim's batting line up is incredibly young. It would really surprise me if in 10 years, none of Williams, Sibanda, Taylor, Chibhabha, Taibu, Masakadza, Chakabva, Chigumbura have established themselves as international batsmen of genuine quality... The bowling does look less promising though, it must be said.

Back onto the Faithwear series... No one would complain if it does take place at a later date when all the national team players are available. But it is imperitive that it does actually happen! ZC will need the national team free for at least 2 months to play 50 over, 20 over and first class competitions. I'm not to certain about Zim's upcoming fixtures, will such a window be available soon??

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Zimbabwe's first Twenty20 match is against the Warriors on March 25. The series is a month long.

Worth noting, none of Zimbabwe's games (as far as I can see) are being played at home. That's a bit annoying, considering 75% of our MTN wins were at home. I guess you can't blame CSA though, Zimbabwe are the guests, and I think Zimbabwe will attract higher crowds in South Africa than Harare or Bulawayo. Anyway, I think Twenty20 is a wildcard for Zimbabwean cricket, and played correctly could revive and encourage a lot of interest in the game, but that's for a whole new discussion.

aydee

Post by aydee »

I've just noticed that the SA 20/20 and Logan Cup fixtures clash... Bad news. Either the standard of the Logan Cup will be shitty or it will also have to get pushed back...

baiju029

Post by baiju029 »

Everyone should have a mind and opinion same as that of brmtaylor.admin...U should understand one thing atleast....bangladesh lost almost 30 tests after getting test status and their first achievement was a no result against zimbabwe due to rain!!!! Then y shod zim feel embarrassed,......Even Ireland is trying for test status.....Zim should start playing test cricket....They will lose nut it wont matter.....But,one day we will start winning

Iam an Indian...If india decide to tour zim,Iam sure the likes of sachin,harbhajan wont be coming evenif there is no ipl clash............India will be sending a second string team with dravid,ganguly,kumble and sometimes sehvag in the lead.....There are a lot of upcoming faces in India today waiting for an opportunity.....So,they will be surely given a chance

Lets lose.......But,we need to win one day....Let that go through every zim fan