Is Proper Utseya a good captain?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zulu

Is Proper Utseya a good captain?

Post by zulu »

I might be wrong here but I think that prosper utseya isn't the best captain around and he doesnt come accross as a great leader. I think that there are much better candidates for the captancy such as Taibu, Price or even Masakadza. I Think having a more expierienced player as captain is better for the side.

jimbo

Re: Is Proper Utseya a good captain?

Post by jimbo »

Masakadza seems more agressive and nowadays seems more consistent!!! He could well be in contention

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Taibu's unlikely to get the captaincy back - price to pay for having defied the Board previously. Masakadza would be a good choice - but if Blessing Mawhire could secure himself a place in the senior team, he'd be my option. Showed good, aggressive tactics on the SAA Provincial matches, which is what we need at the moment.

I'd agree that Prosper's not the best choice now - he filled a valuable role when Duffin proved he wasn't up to the job, but there are better options there now.

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

I would back Price and Taibu as the captain and co-captain respectively.

zulu

Post by zulu »

The thing with Utseya is he lacks aggression and confidence he doesnt seem to interact with his bowlers so the senior players have to do it. Now i think price would be the best choice because hes aggressive, experiencedand full of confidence and he even talks to the bowlers an example of this was the game against the warriors Price went to Mupariwa a couple of times and gave him some encouragement which was good to see. I think Utseya is a very good player but not a good captain and i think he needs to stand down as captain.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Hamilton Masakadza is in form and is aggressive. Is he a thinking cricketer? We don't know. He committed a few blunders on the field when he led the team in Pakistan. Brent could not finish his quota of overs a couple of times, even though he was the most economical bowler. Miscalculation on captain's part. Clever bowling changes were not there to be seen.

Prosper Utseya unfortunately lacks all the qualities a leader should have. He must be releaved of captaincy and allowed to concentrate on improving his allround abilities.

Tatenda Taibu is a thinking cricketer, but is not aggressive as a captain. He has had run ins with the board, and is unlikely to get captaincy in the near future.

Raymond Price has huge experience of the game on his side, and is extremely aggressive too, but he is untested as captain, and we don't know how he will fare. But its worth a try. Spin counterpart Anil Kumble has been a revelation for India both in captaincy and man management. But Price too, has been on the wrong side of the Zim Cricket management before.

Sean Williams and Brendan Taylor too have a few good skills, but its too early to push them for captaincy.

Blessing Mahwire has to first make a comeback into the side, establish himself as a bowling spearhead, and only then he will become a contender.

With the above options, I would like to see Price captaining the side in the next international assignment. I know it won't happen. I am just daydreaming :mrgreen:

baiju029

Post by baiju029 »

i wont support this discussion...........masakadza is not a good captain,we should not forget wat happened in pak and during early part of the MTN competition.......Every game zim lose by 3 wickets aor by 18 runs like that..........He was using his bowlers effectively at all

Price is a gud option.............But, i support utseya itself..........He is young.....He has his whole life infront of him.........AND I SWEAR<ZIM IS NOT LOSING A SINGLE GAME DUE TO CAPTAINCY OF PROSPER UTSEYA

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

He dont look like he gets fazed easily i give him that!!!

It remains to be seen what he will be like when he captains the test side!!!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Utseya isn't bad as captain. He led us to wins over Bangladesh in his first series as captain, then wins against Australia and West Indies. Tactically, I don't think he's that bad. Maybe he is lacking the "killer instinct" though? That "finish them!" attitude. My main criticism of Utseya is the way he talks to the media. He is extremely shy, so how would he fire up the boys? Having said that, I agree with baiju029, if we have been losing it's not because Utseya is captaining poorly. In the Pakistan series when Masakadza was captain, often the bowlers would have overs remaining - that is poor captaincy, and that can swing a match.

Nobody really stands out as an obvious choice for captain. Ray Price and Gary Brent are probably the frontrunners, I think Masakadza has a lot going for him too if he can be trained to make wiser decisions (such as refraining from bringing on Chibhabha in the 14th over).

I would stick with Utseya, as he gets older he will overcome the shyness.

zulu

Post by zulu »

Utseya is a terible decseisian maker a perfect example of this is the way he rotates his bowlers and gives bowlers like Chibahba more overs than the strike bowlers. In the pro 20 series he has bowled chibahba twice in a row at the death and he has been smack all around when there are still overs from the 2 strike bowlers mupariwa and Chigumbura left! some of his decisians dont make sense! and i think its time ZC try someone else out!