Zimbabweans in the UK (2017 Thread)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ljriley90

Re: Zimbabweans in the UK (2017 Thread)

Post by ljriley90 »

Hi All,

You can keep an eye out on the Zim Academy team in their T25 Wednesday league here - https://www.crichq.com/clubs/198952/matches/results

Bit of background to the league.... It's 100% made up of Asian players. The standard is not very good at all - a lot of the players work Saturdays (taxis / restaurants) so don't play league cricket and just try and smash every ball out of the park.

There is the occasional Saturday league playing Asian Overseas Pro who turns out for extra practice but on the whole standard is pants. If these games prove to be the main fixtures the academy gets then it wont be helping anyone.

Robbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Robbo »

Tapiwa Mafudza playing for Cookham Dean on Saturday gets 16 not out and takes 1-40 off 10 overs. Playing for the oppositon, Cove CC was Stanley Marisa who now lives here, but I think played for Easterns a few back. This is the same league I play in, but a higher division- Thames Valley Cricket League

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

2 wins 2 games for the rising stars in their Wednesday league - https://www.crichq.com/matches/514761/2nd_innings

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

ljriley90 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 7:27 am
2 wins 2 games for the rising stars in their Wednesday league - https://www.crichq.com/matches/514761/2nd_innings
Not sure how strong some of the oppos are.

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

Standard is pants.

Is mainly taxi drivers and kebab shop workers.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

ljriley90 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 1:53 pm
Standard is pants.

Is mainly taxi drivers and kebab shop workers.
What's the point of them being over there then ?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 11:28 pm
What's the point of them being over there then ?
PR. Money to a different set of people in the support staff than the usual suspects. Could be these things.

But there is probably one positive though. They might be playing useless sides, but they are winning. They have grown up in an environment that only taught them losing. They probably never believed they could win. At least it would have progressed that way if they continues a few seasons without any such exposure. These victories, no matter how easy they are, would hopefully bring some winning culture and belief in these kids that makes them feel that they can give a good account of themselves - a fearless attitude even when they play tougher oppositions later in their careers. And as they trickle into the national scene, they would bring that culture to the national team as well, as the members of the perennially losing team of the last decade and a half makes way for them. Could be a masterstroke of changing the team culture if it works out...

I'm just getting up from sleep so I might be overly enthusiastic here.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

I think the games against county second and high performance teams will be the real measure. This Wednesday league I think is more like a warm up and just for them to stay game ready. Their victory margins definitely show it's a poor league.

Another way of looking at it is building that team spirit and mentality. The guys being away from home in such foreign conditions as a unit going through various life coaching sessions whilst hopefully playing 40 games( I think about 12-15 will actually be competitive) will build character. If they were in Zim right now they wouldn't even be getting a game because there are barely any and guys like nyumbu take valuable spots. To me this is better than nothing. Character and mentality are very underrated. In fact our senior guys already lose before a ball is bowled because of a lack of those 2 things. That is why Taibu himself is so sure that these guys will be beating the 4 franchises when they come back and become the 5th franchise. Just look at how fired up PJ was when he came back from the last U.K. Stint he did.

ljriley90

Post by ljriley90 »

I understand from speaking to Musakanda they are definitely using this as game practice and appreciate the standard for what it is. The lads are outdoor netting on good facilities on grounds where Lancashire County 2nd XI play during the day. These Wednesday games are being played on average Saturday league decks so will be nothing like they've batted on at home so it's all positive. Its just some of the bowling and shot selection will be a little suspect some times but it is what it is.

They are set to face some county academies and some 2nd XI I believe - but right theres been a good couple of weeks of county 2nd XI fixtures in both the 1 day and 3 day official comp they play in. So I guess the academy will have to wait until these round of fixtures are done before they get pitted against the tough opposition.

I'll be making sure I see the academy in action a couple of times so will let you know how they fair.

You can keep a track of Ryan Burl's performances proing for Littleborough here - http://littleborough.play-cricket.com/w ... ype_id=179

Littleborough are a top top side will be in top 3 of their league and standard is strong.

GregorPJ
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by GregorPJ »

Kunje had his visa rejected and therefore will not be in the UK this summer.