Zimbabwe Cricket slashes salaries

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Zimbabwe Cricket slashes salaries

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

https://www.newsday.co.zw/2017/04/11/zi ... -salaries/
Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has slashed salaries of its employees by between 10 and 30% as the organisation bids to halve its $6 million a year wage bill.

The organisation has been using two-thirds of its $9 million per year allocation from the International Cricket Council (ICC) on salaries and both the board and management have sought to correct that.

In the latest cuts, players are not affected as only management and support staff of the organisation will have their salaries adjusted.

ZC board chairman Tavengwa Mukuhlani yesterday confirmed to NewsDaySport that the organisation would be effecting another salary cut.

“Management recommended to the board that we reduce salaries by between 10 and 30%,” Mukuhlani said. “We had a budget deficit of $2,9 million, so the board said that there would be no more borrowing. We can’t continue to borrow to pay salaries, that is not sustainable.
So since the board said there would be no more borrowing, management decided to come up with different measures and adjustments and salary cuts is one of them. The players will not be affected.”

ZC has been making adjustments over the period and the bill, which stood at $7,2 million per year, was reduced to $6 million after some employees were laid off while others had their salaries reduced.

“The bill has been reduced after we laid off people and made some adjustments. But it has to go down further,” Mukuhlani added.

While only $3 million of the ICC allocation was reserved for development, domestic and international cricket, ZC wants to see the figure doubled while that of the salaries goes down to around $3 million.

Those who earn $500 or less will not be affected by the adjustment, but the top management, which is the highest paid group, faces a 30% cut.

Last year, ZC embarked on a streamlining exercise where some of the employees were not offered new contracts once their deals had expired.

Those that were offered new contracts had remuneration reduced.

On the other hand, the organisation also changed the contracts system for players where more players signed contracts that guaranteed them monthly income.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Zimbabwe Cricket slashes salaries

Post by Jemisi »

If that is true I can only say it is a step in the right direction. The top salaries being cut by 30% is welcome.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'm not sure where to start with this. If you assume the average salary is $1000/pm, that means there's around 500 employees. obviously there's people getting a helluva lot more than this and even more getting a lot less, but any way you look at it ZC is massively overstaffed. A group photo would be good, they'd have to find some casuals to make up the contingent. I see no reason for anyone who doesn't work more than 4 days a week to get paid anything. Do provincial board members who assemble for a once a month meeting draw salaries? What do they earn?

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

it is a step in the right direction if those figures are true.. it would even better if the audit can be made public because some of these guys will decrease their salaries but increase their benefits. the first step should be for everybody to see who is getting what as Googly mentioned.. another example is Prosper Utseya..is he still in the payroll? I doubt he just disappeared quietly and got nothing in return..has he even tried to remodel his action or he just completely gave up and walked away with nothing?I highly doubt that

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

TapsC wrote:another example is Prosper Utseya..is he still in the payroll? I doubt he just disappeared quietly and got nothing in return..has he even tried to remodel his action or he just completely gave up and walked away with nothing?I highly doubt that
Don't think he got the player contract when it came up for renewal a few months back. So, I'm assuming the funds saved by not paying him salaries were rightly redirected to pay the coaching personnel who are working with our future generation stars. You know, the batting and bowling coaches of our U19 team. So they would be the beneficiaries... Oh wait!

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Given that ZC can't organise anything, I am surprised they have any paid staff.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes