IT'S ALIVE! Extended Downtime Easter Weekend

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

IT'S ALIVE! Extended Downtime Easter Weekend

Post by maehara »

Short Update (Sunday 21:35UK):

You'll have noticed the extended downtime over the Easter weekend. This was due to
1) An apparent compromise of the site's hosting (malware);
2) The need to change hosting provider to someone who supported the system software necessary to update phpBB to the most recent version (which helps prevent repeats).

That's now done & we're on the air. I'll give a longer update, and catch up on moderation issues, later tonight. For now, BEER.

Long Update (Sunday 22:15UK):
On Friday AM, I received notification from our web host that their security scans had detected apparent malware in the site's pages. Quick & dirty way to deal with this is to delete the forums & reinstall - done it before, if all goes well uploading the forum software again takes about 10mins and more often that not, users don't even notice.

It did not go well. It did not go well at the worst possible time, as thanks to a combination of a parent in hospital and Easter commitments to the kids, any work required to fix the site had to be done in what little spare time I had left.

1) As part of the reinstall, I wanted to update phpBB to the most recent stable version - this is good security practice, to make sure you've got all current security patches.
2) Our web host did not support the current version of phpBB on our hosting package. This appears to be a subtle way of forcing users to upgrade to a more expensive hosting package, to which my response is ::extended middle finger::
3) Consequently, hosting has been moved to another provider that a) supports the necessary software on their hosting package, and b) has the useful side effect of costing me less money. Result.

This required:
1) An export of the ZCF database;
2) An import of the database to the new web host (not straightforward, due to size of the database, which currently runs to just over 5.4 million lines - it took 2 runs to work, at around 2hrs per import);
3) Install of the most recent version of phpBB; and
4) Updating the database to run with the new forum software.
All done, as noted, in limited free time.

But eventually successful. There may be issues - I'm not familiar with the current phpBB version (we've gone from 3.0 to 3.2), but in general things seem to work. If you spot any problems, let me know.

Kriterion_BD

Re: IT'S ALIVE! Extended Downtime Easter Weekend

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Many thanks for putting in the time and effort, Maehara!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Indeed, thanks a lot for all the thankless effort maehara, must have been a nightmare over the weekend.

I feared the worst when I checked the status of the website a couple of times over the weekend, thinking that all the wealth of information from nearly a decade could be lost! Thanks again!

EDIT: First look, the new version of the forum software is more mobile friendly and images are getting rendered better! :)

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

With my IT knowledge I haven't got a bloody clue what you've been up to maehara, but many thanks for keeping the forum going for all of us to use, top job :D

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Thanks for the effort maehara, much appreciated. I'm on holiday so was a bit worried after not getting my daily dose of updates.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'