Zimbos in DPL 2017

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Zimbos in DPL 2017

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Just realized that DPL is on and was wondering if Zimbos are playing. At least found that Hamilton Masakadza is turning out for Kalabagan Krira Chakra team, and while they lost today, Hamilton top scored with 68. In fact, he has 106 runs from 2 matches so far.

Any idea who else is in action in BD?

Looks like some Indians are participating this time: Unmukt Chand, Parvez Rasool, Abhishek Nayar,...

Kriterion_BD

Re: Zimbos in DPL 2017

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Yeah Masakadza always manages to score runs in the DPL somehow.

Odd that Indians are in during the IPL...must be part of some backroom deal with the BCB where the BCCI throws us a few crumbs for our vote next week.

Last year it was Hammy and Williams, both of whom were amongst the runs. Waller played too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Hami has over 400 runs in 7 innings in the DPL

aydee

Post by aydee »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Odd that Indians are in during the IPL...must be part of some backroom deal with the BCB where the BCCI throws us a few crumbs for our vote next week.

Don't think so. There are only 8 IPL franchises, so that leaves a lot of very decent Indian FC players with nothing to do. It was a similar story last year as well if you recall.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Yeah but Unmukt Chand was a U-19 star...Im surprised he didnt get a franchise when IPL teams have 20 man rosters and shit guys like Ashok Dinda get contracts.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:20 am
Yeah but Unmukt Chand was a U-19 star...Im surprised he didnt get a franchise when IPL teams have 20 man rosters and shit guys like Ashok Dinda get contracts.
That was a long time ago. He threw away his chances in the IPL for multiple seasons, and got dropped from the Delhi Ranji team as well recently if I'm not wrong. He was seen as the next Virat Kohli and what not when he scored a couple of good U19 knocks. But most U19 stars have gone back to the domestic setup and have emerged from there through hard work and at least a couple of years of massive performances. Right from Yuvraj Singh and Mohammed Kaif to Virat Kohli, Manish Pandey and KL Rahul. At the same time, those who tried using only the U19 success as their vehicle without putting adequate efforts have faded away - the likes of Reetinder Sodhi, Tanmay Srivastava and now Unmukt Chand. Hope Sanju Samson and Ishan Kishan are not next in this list, although, indications are, they most likely are.

And yes, guys like Ashok Dinda and Munaf Patel are probably the most ridiculous selections for any team, let alone an IPL franchise.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Looks like no one else is in BD apart from Hamilton. None of the 6 XIs playing today had any Zimbabwean. Anyway, based on historical performances, only Hamilton and Williams would have been entertained. And may be Cremer if he was interested. The days of Vusi, Waller, Chigs and Raza running to BD to fill in some List A boots while getting subcontinental playing experience might be gone as the competition seems to be improving in its quality by the year.

This stint might help Hamilton as he prepares for the SL tour, but the selection panel might remain true to its form and not care about relevant recent playing experience anyway...

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Hamilton is a domestic league bully as I mentioned before that to me it must be a mental thing when he is playing for the national team. looked at the last scorecard and I was surprised to see Ashraful was still playing. whatever happened to him and the national team?

aydee

Post by aydee »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 am
Hamilton is a domestic league bully as I mentioned before that to me it must be a mental thing when he is playing for the national team. looked at the last scorecard and I was surprised to see Ashraful was still playing. whatever happened to him and the national team?
Was banned for match fixing for years!!!

Only just made a comeback this season.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

TapsC wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 am
Just returned to first class cricket last season so his domestic suspension was for 3 years. He can play domestics and thus earn a decent living, but is still not eligible for national selection till 2018 or 2019. He has no hope of making our A team on merit any more. The guy just never had any consistency.

Used to be my favorite player for his once a year gems.