Logan Cup: Tuskers v Eagles & Rhinos v Manicas

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Logan Cup: Tuskers v Eagles & Rhinos v Manicas

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Looks like at least the Tuskers v Eagles match is going ahead, with Eagles batting first at QSC. Would be interesting to see the missing names across all teams and hence the quality (or the lack of it) of teams from this round on.

Looks like Richie captaining Tuskers today.

CrimsonAvenger

Re: Logan Cup: Tuskers v Eagles & Rhinos v Manicas

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Bonaparte Mujuru is back to add to his FC hundred-less tally, replacing Chari. Can he overtake Peter Rawson in this match with a match tally of 76 (refer Q. 10 of Stats Quiz thread)? Mutumbami takes over captaincy even while Nyumbu is part of XI. Not a bad move I guess.

There is zero variation in the Eagles pace "attack" - Garwe, Munyaradzi, Muzarabani, Muzarawetu and Nathan Waller.

Power Maruma and Masvaure back for the Rhinos, Bruce getting FC debut and no Malcolm Waller (is he in BD?)

Roy Kaia replaces BD-bound Hamilton Masakadza for Manicas and Shingi has already struck to remove "Power".

The Robot

Post by The Robot »

Castle Beer on Fire.... Picked up 5/23 :o
Robo to rule :oops:

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

So, runs for Burl and Moor, and wickets for Shingi and Jongwe. Let us see if there are any stand out performances today.

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

interesting to see the Mountaineers playing Tiripano at 7. they must really trust their top 6. something you don't see in Zim that often. I have always felt he has to play as an all rounder because he just doesn't have the gas. maybe we will see our national team trusting cremer at 7 in tests one day

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

The Manicas' top 6 doesn't offer many bowling options, so they always tend to play five bowlers. In the past Shingi has often batted at 7 for the Manicas, I believe, and they also tried Wellington in that role, but the Don has definitely moved past the lesser Masakadza's in the batting hierarchy lately. You're right of course that it's difficult to include him in the national side on he strenght of his bowling alone.

Interesting to see that he's captaining the side ahead of Maruma; that could be a first.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:23 am
Interesting to see that he's captaining the side ahead of Maruma; that could be a first.
He did captain earlier this season I guess. So a solid 50 for him, while Maruma misses his ton. Shingi enraged by the fact that even M'Shangwe is getting to bat ahead of him and letting his bat do the talking. Given that Bruce has taken 4, he has been slightly under-bowled I guess.

In the other match, Williams gets a hunfred and looks like he has thrown it away soon after, and Mutumbami misses his triple figure by just 3 runs. Interestingly Nathan Waller hasn't bowled while Burl has warmed up for SL as a part time spinner by claiming 2 wickets.

EDIT: Oh Waller has bowled in fact, no wickets today so far...

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Unfortunately the value of the contest is badly compromised, because it clashes with the Mashonaland West tour of Malaysia and Singapore, and both sides have lost leading players, with Rhinos particularly affected.

Rhinos are missing Graeme Cremer, Malcolm Waller, Neville Madziva and Nyasha Mayavo, while Tendai Chisoro has a contract in England, so they are forced to play Prince Masvaure, who has not recovered properly from the eye injury he received after being hit on the head

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:59 pm
foreignfield wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:23 am
He did captain earlier this season I guess. So a solid 50 for him, while Maruma misses his ton. Shingi enraged by the fact that even M'Shangwe is getting to bat ahead of him and letting his bat do the talking. Given that Bruce has taken 4, he has been slightly under-bowled I guess.

In the other match, Williams gets a hunfred and looks like he has thrown it away soon after, and Mutumbami misses his triple figure by just 3 runs. Interestingly Nathan Waller hasn't bowled while Burl has warmed up for SL as a part time spinner by claiming 2 wickets.

EDIT: Oh Waller has bowled in fact, no wickets today so far...
Surprised to See Vusi Sibanda on the scoreboard...
Burl as an all rounder replaces Raza straight up..
Jather Khan should be included in the Zimbabwe squad for Sri Lanka tour

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

I have to ask, are Cremer, Malcolm Waller & Madziva on this tour to Malaysia & Singapore, while MWR are second on the table, playing the competition leaders. And given MWR have never won the Logan Cup & this could well be one of their best opportunities, this tour is more important?
If they were going to England or playing in a overseas 20/20 comp, yes, I get it. Lousy scheduling against the need to earn a quid. But I'm sensing a lack of desire/pride/prestige to win the country's premium first class event.
Earlier, it was posted Williams missed a game because of a tour to Tanzania. Also, Ervine hasn't made an appearance. From what is said, these players are already paid. But not to turn up, or occasionally turn up gobsmacks me. And if I recall correctly, when the first round was to be played( before rescheduled) players were on vacation! I was only a park cricketer but I couldn't play often enough.
Anyway, that's my rant for the day.