Zimbabwe bids to host ICC 2018 World Cup Qualifier

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Zimbabwe bids to host ICC 2018 World Cup Qualifier

Post by tawac »

Its would have been very tricky for Zimbabwe to host these qualifiers next year because that's an election year.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

i was watching the highlights for the game between Bangladesh and New Zealand in Ireland and it looked like they were playing at a university ground. very small arena. the weather will play a big role unlike if it was played in Zim. where it does make sense is the conditions being similar to where the actual world cup will be played. fighting for the 2022 rights already shows where we are mentally. a 10 team world cup is already a big mistake if you ask me. we already have the champions trohphy which limits teams.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

The ICC Chairman is going to Zim Seems as though we could be hosting the qualifiers after all.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... qualifiers
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

It makes sense for a qualifier to be in similar conditions as the actual tournament, but I don't think its a requirement. Besides, its never been the case with the ICC. Therefore, I wouldn't mind either way.

But from a practical standpoint, the weather is going to be an issue if the WCQ are held in Ireland/Scotland. I think in the end having a full 50 over contest is better than "home field" advantage (the ICC takes over pitch preperation during ICC events anyways so that nullifies some of the advantage).

But there is the issue that Ireland and Scotland would probably have 4-5 grounds to host the 10 team event, whereas Zimbabwe have only 2. Given that 8 of the 10 sides are ODI status teams, almost all the games would have ODI status and thus require the grounds to have ODI status. Does anyone know if the grounds outside HSC and Queens adequate for a big tournament like the WCQ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Black Mamba
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Black Mamba »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:29 am
It makes sense for a qualifier to be in similar conditions as the actual tournament, but I don't think its a requirement. Besides, its never been the case with the ICC. Therefore, I wouldn't mind either way.

But from a practical standpoint, the weather is going to be an issue if the WCQ are held in Ireland/Scotland. I think in the end having a full 50 over contest is better than "home field" advantage (the ICC takes over pitch preperation during ICC events anyways so that nullifies some of the advantage).

But there is the issue that Ireland and Scotland would probably have 4-5 grounds to host the 10 team event, whereas Zimbabwe have only 2. Given that 8 of the 10 sides are ODI status teams, almost all the games would have ODI status and thus require the grounds to have ODI status. Does anyone know if the grounds outside HSC and Queens adequate for a big tournament like the WCQ?

Zimbabwe also have many cricket grounds, but due to lack of proper administration from ZC, only two grounds have been approved by ICC as an International Standard. No more further approach made by ZC in getting few more grounds as an international standard.

Beside HSC & Queens, venues like Kwekwe, Mutare Sports Club, Takasingha Sports Club, Masvingo Sports Club, Old Hararians Sports Club regularly hosts list A games, domestic cricket, local games as well as under 19 games, these 7 venues might be in the books of ZC for holding ten teams ICC World Cup Qualifiers 2018.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

IMO there's absolutely no reason why the country club couldn't host ODI's.

I thought BAC seemed a little run down (can't believe the place hosted a Test match) when I saw it. But if the ICC are happy to pump a few grand into it to pay for a bit of gardening and a coat of paint it would probably be adequate enough to host an epic showdown between Tanzania and Macao or whoever will feature in this tournament.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Country club's pitch and outfield is a mess. It will take a lot of time, effort and money to get it back to what it was a couple of years ago. How many grounds would be required to host this? I hate being the harbinger of bad news, but the state of most pitches leaves a lot to be desired. St. George's, St. John's, Peter House and Falcon schools are better options.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Googly wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 pm
Country club's pitch and outfield is a mess. It will take a lot of time, effort and money to get it back to what it was a couple of years ago. How many grounds would be required to host this? I hate being the harbinger of bad news, but the state of most pitches leaves a lot to be desired. St. George's, St. John's, Peter House and Falcon schools are better options.
Its a 10 team event with 60+ matches in total over 5 weeks. So there needs to be probably 2-3 matches being played per day in the early rounds. So you need 3 plus grounds. You also have pitchss that will get worn as the tournament wears on. In terms of facilities, Ireland/Scotland and the UAE are well ahead of Zimbabwe. You also have to factor that its not just about the grounds but the training facilities for 10 teams at the same time (grounds, gyms, nets, equipment, etc). During the 2011 world cup, there was an article on how 4 teams could train at the Sher e Bangla stadium in Dhaka at the same time without bumping into each other. The Mirpur facility is a complex of the stadium, gyms, swimming pools, and academy grounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

auszim

Post by auszim »

Not to mention the accommodation facilities needed...it's going to be a massive massive effort to get done. I would love to see it happen, and would probably head over for it, but ICC would need to contract out a huge number of jobs (realistically to people from abroad) to get it even close to running smoothly.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

It would be hard to play this tournament out of only 2 grounds but can UAE or Scotland provide more grounds ??

I don't know myself just asking the question, also Im sure the ICC know that Zimbabwe only have 2 grounds that are suitable at the moment but they're obviously putting in a serious effort to lift Zimbabwe after appointing the new MD so I wouldn't be surprised if the ICC are happy to throw in some money to fix up some grounds. Also I guess this tournament could generate some cash for the host nation since it's an ICC event ....

Zimbabwe could actually walk away from this with some upgraded facilities, extra cash in bank and hopefully qualification for the WC ......
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement